Diana Dors

I remember Dianna Dors making a film just (about 100yds) into Rotherham on Sheffield Rd, Tinsley. She ran acress a flat roof with the leading man opposite the Electric Arc shops of Steel, Peach & Tozer. Will try and find the title. It was around 1954, and filmed in Black & White.

Only title I can find is "Yield to the Night" This was made in 1956 and was based loosly on the Ruth Elliss (last woman to be hanged in England) murder case. Timings about right and the story sounds familiar.

"Tread Softly Stranger" 1958 ?

Gritty Northern crime thriller Tread Softly Stranger was based on the play Blind Alley by Jack Popplewell and taken from a screenplay by George Minter and Denis O'Dell. Producer George Minter was so determined to have Diana Dors as good-time girl Calico in this feature that he delayed location filming in Rotherham for several months until she was available. The theme song is sung by Jim Dale.

The railway station where George Baker arrives at near the start is Parkgate & Rawmarsh station near Rotherham. Parkgate had a big steelworks so it's likely this is what appears in the film.

Hi! The bulk of the external daytime scenes were filmed around Parkgate Forge (the works being identifiable from the two blast furnaces). The nightime scene when Terence Morgan and George Baker "break" into the steel works and the internal scene featuring Patrick Allen were filmed at the Phoenix Works (Steel, Peech & Tozer) of United Steel at Templeborough.

Patrick Allen was seen "fettling" one of the open-hearth furnaces at Templeboro' Melting Shop.

I remember Dianna Dors making a film just (about 100yds) into Rotherham on Sheffield Rd, Tinsley. She ran acress a flat roof with the leading man opposite the Electric Arc shops of Steel, Peach & Tozer. Will try and find the title. It was around 1954, and filmed in Black & White.

Only title I can find is "Yield to the Night" This was made in 1956 and was based loosly on the Ruth Elliss (last woman to be hanged in England) murder case. Timings about right and the story sounds familiar.

A few years ago i lived on the Lowedges estate i remember the local newsletter had an article that said Diana Dors officially opened the estate in 1954 ish. So my guess is it was while she was on location filming at Parkgate.

They actually halted the traffic in Rotherham one evening around five o clock, so that a scene could be shot on the Chantrey Bridge. What a time to stop the traffic!

They actually halted the traffic in Rotherham one evening around five o clock, so that a scene could be shot on the Chantrey Bridge. What a time to stop the traffic!

Bloody hell I have told my wife about that ,I was on the Bus the first one in line held up they had all spotlights it was at the building end of the bridge and I think it was about 5 o clock

David Cooke

A Yorkshire lad in the USA