Tinsley Tram Sheds

Guest transit

Guest transit

Got a local paper tonight , and noticed a full page advert for Tile Depots MASSIVE closing down sale at Tinsley tram sheds. Now even though this sounds like any other closing down sale , i was shocked to see "re-development forces closure" in the ad. Also everything must go , 9am till we sell out! (wed 5 mar) .Now i know this sounds like any other closing-down sale ,but how many put (in big letters) "re-dvelopment forces closure"? Now to my main worry - can somebody -in the know- make sure the frontage of the Tinsley Tram Depot can be restored to former glory for future generations (like Leadmills facade) and make sure it does"nt suffer the same "accidental" fate as Heeley Tram Sheds when the money -mad developers moved in. I know the facade is listed ,but so was Heeley ! so can we make sure that there is no (surprise,surprise)repeat?

Guest transit

Well we knew it was coming - the Bus Museum moving out and now Tile Depot going with a MASSIVE closing - down sale (Wed 5 mar) due to (re-development forces closure) full page ad.

So, this means the inevitable developers will be moving in to build their swanky student apartments, or being near Meadowhell, retail outlets - again - Lets hope the facade of this historic LISTED building will be preserved - like Leadmill - and not meet the same fate as Heeley Tram sheds are going through.

Guest bus man

The owners of the building intned to moth ball it . I suspect that any developement will be done with the front still in tact. The amount of money needed just to get the building water proof would be 0000000000000000 mega ££££££££££££

Guest transit

The owners of the building intned to moth ball it . I suspect that any developement will be done with the front still in tact. The amount of money needed just to get the building water proof would be 0000000000000000 mega ££££££££££££

Being a child of the sixties ,i didnt realise how big this depot is/was till i saw a scale model of it at the relocated bus museum (Aldwalke) I am sure developers are desperate to get their hands on this amount of prime land -so close to Meadowhall .I dont think it will be "mothballed"for long!

Guest gareth388

Well, the tile depot was still trading when I drove past the Tram Sheds last week, and shows no signs of closing down at the moment. As has already been stated, the redevelopment of the Tram Sheds will not happen just yet, but it has recently undergone a health and safety assessment.......and the owners are awaiting the results.

I suspect that any developement will be done with the front still in tact.

This is the thing.....we were told the developer was going to leave Albert Road in tact but alas they didn't.

It worries me that the development has started in effect, yet no one seems to know what they intend to do with the building.

I was gutted a few weeks back...a job appeared on my sheet for A & B Castle, in Tinsley Sheds. Totaly without thinking, I got all excited, dashed home in my lunch hour and armed myself with a camera and all the bits and bobs and off I shot.

I was flying up the M1 with thoughts of wandering round the old dark place...I had even worked out what I was going to do with the odd bit of old tram I was bound to find in a corner somewhere and.......it was shut.

I should have known but in my excitement I had forgot that as the place was shutting, A & B Castle had moved out years back and the place was empty!

Gutted!!

Guest bus man

The other thing to remember is when the commercial inn and the shop/flats next to it were demolished it was for a small office development it is now an advertising hording !

When you look at old shots of the place you can see that it was quite a size at one time.

Wasn't there some sort of office at the front of the yard once...next to the road?

Guest bus man

Yes there was a gate house next to the right hand pilar then a wall at the edge of what was the petrol station

Guest transit

When you look at old shots of the place you can see that it was quite a size at one time.

Wasn't there some sort of office at the front of the yard once...next to the road?

Hope this painting by local artist Mick Rick may help.....

Guest gareth388

he he he he

I am very pleased to announce that Bays 3 and 4 of the Tinsley Tram sheds are to be occupied by the South Yorkshire Transport Trust for the forseeable future. They are moving from their current site at Kimberworth over the next 2 months or so.

The future of the building is safe - at least for the time being!

I have enclosed a picture of bay 3.

Guest sheffbusman

........and here is a picture of AEC Regent 874. The first bus (not Firstbus!!) to return to the Tinsley Tramsheds and definately not the last!

Guest bus man

it is of course beleived that 874 was one of the regent v/alex that were stored in tinsley tram sheds before they were needed for service

Thought I'd seen that bus somewhere before! it was at the Sheffield Fayre held in Norfolk Heritage Park on August Bank holiday last year.

Guest gareth388

Hello!

I am keen to find out as much as possible about the history of the Tinsley Tram Sheds. I am one of the directors of the South Yorkshire Transport Trust, who have just taken out a new lease on Bays 3 and 4, of what is the only surviving original Tram depot in Sheffield.

I would like to hear from any one who has photos of the Tram Sheds while it was still operational(pre October 1960). Interior photos would be wonderful.

I also wish to find out what the upstairs rooms were used for originally, and what was the original colour of the external doors and internal brick walls.

Anyone who has any information, please post a reply.

Thanks

Gareth388.

Not sure if this video has been put on here in the past?

It's a nine minute vid: showing Sheffield Bus Museum when it was at the Tinsley tram sheds in 2006. a google video

Guest transit

Not sure if this video has been put on here in the past?

It's a nine minute vid: showing Sheffield Bus Museum when it was at the Tinsley tram sheds in 2006. a google video

As most people may know -the majority of these vehicles vacated Tinsley last year , to their new premises at Aldwalk in Rotherham ------ BUT --- the SYTT group are , as we speak ,currently relocating their stock of 30+? LOCAL collection of buses ect .into part of the tramsheds. Hopefully an open day will be arranged around Autumn.

Guest bus man

Errr more like 70 an open day will be held when they are in and ready it will be announced on thiss forum as soon as the date and details are known

Guest transit
Errr more like 70 an open day will be held when they are in and ready it will be announced on thiss forum as soon as the date and details are known
i know the collection is around 70 --but i quoted 30+ what will be viewable/restored, for the Open Day. BTW, have they rented more units than SBM had to house 70 vehicles?

Guest gareth388

The SYTT have taken Bays C and D of the Tram Sheds, which totals around 35000 square feet. With sensible parking(with walking space around each vehicle) there is enough space for approx 75 full size buses.

As the SYTT collection includes some cars and the odd minibus, the 70 vehicles they have will fit in with plently of breathing space.

Its very good that all the vehicles can now be parked undercover, rather that being subject to vandalism and theft as they have been at their Kimberworth premises.

Like Busman says, keep an eye out for the Open Day announcement in due course.

Guest transit

The SYTT have taken Bays C and D of the Tram Sheds, which totals around 35000 square feet. With sensible parking(with walking space around each vehicle) there is enough space for approx 75 full size buses.

As the SYTT collection includes some cars and the odd minibus, the 70 vehicles they have will fit in with plently of breathing space.

Its very good that all the vehicles can now be parked undercover, rather that being subject to vandalism and theft as they have been at their Kimberworth premises.

Like Busman says, keep an eye out for the Open Day announcement in due course.

Great news - i hope you settle in well , and look forward to the Open Day(s)!

Guest bus man

When the open days are known it will be posted on here - we could get a photo of you next to the locks at tinsley