Loxley Congregational Chapel

Sheffield History

LOXLEY CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL

Loxley Road/Long Lane - Sheffield 6

INFORMATION

Taken from the Sheffield Independent May 29th 1914.

LOXLEY'S NEW PASTOR

Historic Home of Village Nonconformity.

Services in recognition of the appointment of the Reverend F. T. LEATON as the new pastor were held yesterday at Loxley Congregational Chapel. Mr LEATON was trained at Nottingham Congregational College under Principal RITCHIE. He has just completed four years at Whittington Moor. At Loxley he takes charge of one of the most historic of the old Independent chapels, and he follows in a line of faithful and useful ministers who have maintained its best traditions. The last of these was the Reverend John LEE, who held office for 24 years, and died about a year ago.

The recognition service was preached in the afternoon by the Reverend R. W. T. MIDDLETON, of Tabenacle Congregational Church. At the evening meeting the Reverend G. E. GERMAN , of the Abbeydale Church, presided in his capacity of president of the Sheffield congregational Association. He said he felt very strongly that the work before the Congregational churches was the reviving of a really healthy devotional life. The time had come when they must be made simpler, and much more straightforward in the whole conduct of their religious life.

Adjourned to the Public House.

Mr B. W. LINGARD, the secretary, gave a short history of Loxley Chapel, which, he said, was built in 1787 bu a few friends of a Mc GREAVES, a curate at Bradfield, who seemed to have been a popular preacher, too popular for the vicar of that time.

When it was finished consecration was refused because the builders declined to put in an east window, perhaps because they ran short of funds. later it was sold by auction for £315, and became an Independent chapel. The people who bought it held a meeting in it and as was the custom in those days, adjourned to the "Rodney" public-house to discuss the question of how to raise the money. Of one of the early ministers it was written that he

pleased some while he grieved others and profited none. there were early pilgrimages of people from Stocksbridge, and concerning one of these there was on record an item for 9 shillings and 6 pence, spent of ale which was drunk at Loxley.

Anglican Good Wishes.

Messages of goodwill were sent to last night's meeting by the Reverend W. LENWOOD of Meersbrook??(Moorsbrook)Park Congregatinal Church, who preached the anniversary sermons at Loxley forty - two years ago; by Principal RITCHIE, who described Mr LEATON as a zealous worker, and a whole hearted minister; and by the rector of Bradfield, and the vicars of Wadsley Bridge and Stannington.

Among the speakers were mc. A. TODD (representing the Chesterfield district of the Derbyshire Congregational Association), the Reverend T. T. BROAD (Wicker), and the Reverend E. Harland BRINE (Cemetery Road).

Well you know me and spooky places..

I couldn't resist nipping up there today to take a few shots of how it looks today and couldnt' have been more spooked.

Got there, the place is in disrepair (what is it with Sheffield's graveyards being overgrown rubbish dumps - dont' we have any respect for the dead in our city ?)

The chapel itself is surrounded with a difficult to conquer wall of prickly overgrowth but I managed to fight my way through, passing a chap who was putting an updated inscription on a gravestone (I don't know who was the most surprised to see the other person as I came round the corner !)

After the heart attack from bumping into someone sat on a grave hidden behind the gravestone I got to the chapel...

The Chapel - as you can see it's bricked up at the front, overgrown and run down.

The front cemetery garden - overgrown and as I walked through it there were graves everywhere, and an extremely wet and boggy ground that my feet sank into up to ankle height.

When you see the graves here it is hard to justify how they have been left to rot like that.

I can imagine in just 5 years it could look just as bad as Wards End Cemetary does today.

Shocking, especially when you see the first picture that showed it and how it can look.

Guest Jeremy

I'm fairly sure that some of my ancestors are buried there. It's sad to see it is such a bad state.

Jeremy

It's a superb building in a prime location. If it wasn't surrounded by graves, I'm sure the property developers would have been in years ago.

Who wants to live in the middle of a graveyard though (apart from a vicar perhaps as lots of vicarages are in or attached to graveyards).

Guest Whelk

I used to attend Cubs/Scouts there.I have spent many a night camping out in the grounds.I always remember that once or twice a year we would give the grounds a good tidy(clearing the weeds/cutting the brambles etc)round the graves.It's such a shame to see it falling into such disrepair.I'm sure there is a few graves of victims of the flood there also,and I always remember on one of a bloke who got run over by a milk float.

Hi Whelk,

I heard there was a military type who was buried with his horse up there. Have you ever heard that?

I was talking to Ken last year, the guy that's transcribed the headstones and PR's, and he said that the building and graveyard had been bought by someone.

It would make a good function room for the local community or something similar.

I also noticed owl boxes in the trees up there.

andyc

Guest Whelk

Hi Whelk,

I heard there was a military type who was buried with his horse up there. Have you ever heard that?

I was talking to Ken last year, the guy that's transcribed the headstones and PR's, and he said that the building and graveyard had been bought by someone.

It would make a good function room for the local community or something similar.

andyc

off the top of my head I cant remember,I'm afraid.

also looking at the pics the front entrance was bricked up before I started going up there(80's),the entrance used was under the big window as shown in andy's pic (right one)it opened into a big lobby with a kitchen at one side ,a small stairway at the other(leading to the hall upstairs)the main staircase to the hall upstairs and two doors to the chapel itself.struggling to remember how you got to the upper seating in the chapel now

like you say though it would make a good place for the local community,as I cant see anybody buying it for the purpose of a residential property/ies.

Guest lesvegas

Where is this place

Directions anyone? I know the Loxley Road/ Long Lane area well or at least i thought i did

Guest tsavo

Why Can't I see the top pictures :'(

Sorry you can't see some of the pictures Ian. They became detatched from the topic during the transfer to another server we made recently. We are reinstating them (slowly) but there's a lot of work to do yet.

Guest coffee cup

Where is this place

Directions anyone? I know the Loxley Road/ Long Lane area well or at least i thought i did

It is on the left hand side of Long lane going up from Loxley Road, passed the Garden Centre, although from there you will probably only be able to see the overgrown graves.

The main enterance to the chapel is on Loxley Road, just passed Long Lane, it looks a bit like a private driveway, but it isn't, you can walk up it to take a closer look.

;-) ;-)

Guest ChesterJohn

Hi Whelk,

andyc

Hi Andy

I am researching my wife's family history and I know that some of her ancestors are buried in this graveyard. Could you let me know whether it would be possible to contact Ken, who transcribed the headstones and PRs as this could be very useful to me.

Many Thanks

ChesterJohn

Guest greenfieldswood

In researching my ancestors I found my great great great grandfather was one of the people who set up the Loxley Chapel and have found many of my relatives buried there. We spent weeks transcribing the relevant names from microfilm of the burial records but have just dicovered a typed transcript in Sheffield Archives. I've a database of where my family graves should be and of most of the section between the drive and the garden centre if anyone is interested.

In researching my ancestors I found my great great great grandfather was one of the people who set up the Loxley Chapel and have found many of my relatives buried there. We spent weeks transcribing the relevant names from microfilm of the burial records but have just dicovered a typed transcript in Sheffield Archives. I've a database of where my family graves should be and of most of the section between the drive and the garden centre if anyone is interested.

Hello

I am researching the life of my Grandfather, Colin Lees, and he was buried in Loxley cemetery in August 1941. Also there is his wife. Lily Lees, buried in May 1946 and also in the same grave my Aunt Mabel (not usre of her surname, I think it was Morton). The grave number is 36 and Line J. There was a marble memorial to them. I would be grateful if you could have a look and see if they are on your list. Many thanks. I live in Cheltenham but would very much like to go up and see if I can find the graves and see what needs to be done. The description of the state of the graves sounds dreadful. I have a letter from Joseph Tomlinson marked 'Deeds of Grave'. Surely it is the responsibility of the Sheffiled Burial and Cemetery Company to ensure that the graves are maintained in a reasonable state.

CDWL

Hello

I am researching the life of my Grandfather, Colin Lees, and he was buried in Loxley cemetery in August 1941. Also there is his wife. Lily Lees, buried in May 1946 and also in the same grave my Aunt Mabel (not usre of her surname, I think it was Morton). The grave number is 36 and Line J. There was a marble memorial to them. I would be grateful if you could have a look and see if they are on your list. Many thanks. I live in Cheltenham but would very much like to go up and see if I can find the graves and see what needs to be done. The description of the state of the graves sounds dreadful. I have a letter from Joseph Tomlinson marked 'Deeds of Grave'. Surely it is the responsibility of the Sheffiled Burial and Cemetery Company to ensure that the graves are maintained in a reasonable state.

CDWL

Joseph Tomlinson is my Great great.... Grandfather, father of George Tomlinson who married Ethel Morton - hence the Tomlinson Morton connection.

Yvette

Guest greenfieldswood

Sorry, but the Lees are not in the bit of the churchyard I've mapped. I've only done the Eastern section in any detail and there are six other sections including the terrace. I was interested in early burials of the 19th century, and it would appear that yours are more than likely in the later Section NE2 near Long Lane. I'll have alook in the records when I'm next at Sheffield Archives. There is a site plan at: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancest.../planloxley.htm

As you will see, there are only row J's in the west and NE2 sections.

Greenfieldswood

Joseph Tomlinson is my Great great.... Grandfather, father of George Tomlinson who married Ethel Morton - hence the Tomlinson Morton connection.

Yvette

Hello Yvette

That is interesting. I assume that Ethel Morton must have been Cyril Morton's sister. By the way Cyril and Mabel (nee Lees) Morton's daughter Rosalind Keefe lives in or near Sheffiled, I belive at Woodhouse or possibly Dronfiled Woodhouse. She was a Sister at one of the hospitals in Sheffiled.

CDWL

Sorry, but the Lees are not in the bit of the churchyard I've mapped. I've only done the Eastern section in any detail and there are six other sections including the terrace. I was interested in early burials of the 19th century, and it would appear that yours are more than likely in the later Section NE2 near Long Lane. I'll have alook in the records when I'm next at Sheffield Archives. There is a site plan at: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancest.../planloxley.htm

Greenfieldswood

Hello. Thank you for your message. I did manage to get in contact with a Mark Whiehouse who I think is on the Loxley Council and he found the graves. I received an email from him on 8 April this year and I quote: "I’ve found the graves of your grandparents and aunt. I’ve taken a few photos and will try and download these and email them to you later. Next time that you come to visit let me know and my wife or myself will show you where the grave is.".

But since then I have heard nothing despite sending Mark several emails. He did not give his contact number and I could not find any details in the phone book! Pity because we passed through Loxley in August this year and we could have seen the graves.

I think your assumption that the grave is near Long Lane is probably right. I did ask Mark if he could decribe where on the plan the grave is but there was no reply. I will now try and send to him again.

Regards

CDWL

I have got records of my ancester being , quote " a member of Loxley Chapel " in 1812 but it seems the

transcriptions don't go back that far. I got the impression from Ken it wasn't built then, now I see it was built 1787.

Please help! :huh:

Guest Berlizmo

Greenfieldswood

Hello,

Just found this website whilst searching for info on Loxley Congregational Church. I tried to follow the link for the burial site plan but it said page couldn't be found,(perhaps because of the time lapse?). is it possible to let me have the link again or tell me where to find the page.

A Christiana Mount ( younger sister of my great-great grandfather) was christened at Loxley Congregational in 1833 and doesn't seem to have survived until 1841 so thought there was a strong possibility she was buried in Loxley.

Any help appreciated.

Berlizmo

Hello,

Just found this website whilst searching for info on Loxley Congregational Church. I tried to follow the link for the burial site plan but it said page couldn't be found,(perhaps because of the time lapse?). is it possible to let me have the link again or tell me where to find the page.

A Christiana Mount ( younger sister of my great-great grandfather) was christened at Loxley Congregational in 1833 and doesn't seem to have survived until 1841 so thought there was a strong possibility she was buried in Loxley.

Any help appreciated.

Berlizmo

Can't help with the map I'm afraid. The page appears to have been removed.

However, Christiana Mount - death Oct-Dec quarter 1838, Ecclesfield (Volume 12, Page 107) might be worth looking into further.

Good Luck; keep us posted on your progress please.