Railway Horses

Guest skeets

Guest skeets

Anyone remember the lovely shire and clydedale railway horses used at Bridge houses, l used to go and watch the keepers trot them to their stables up Spital Hill , then peek over the door and watch them being fed and watered, one chap called Ted used to let me in to help.

l used to love it and had an affinity to these animals ever since, l once asked Ted how much a week he got, after he called me a cheeky little bugger he said not bad £2 a week with a bit of over time, l though l'm going to do this when l leave school, l thought it was a good wage

Skeets

Guest Rowlinson

I don't remember the horses at Bridhehouses but I believe the last railway horse in Britain was retired in the 1960s

Anyone remember the lovely shire and clydedale railway horses used at Bridge houses, l used to go and watch the keepers trot them to their stables up spital hill , then peek over the door and watch them being fed and watered, one chap called Ted used to let me in to help , l used to love it and had an affinity to these animals ever since, l once asked Ted how much a week he got ,after he called me a cheeky little bugger he said not bad � �2 a week with a bit over time, l though l'm going to do this when l leave school ,l thought it was a good wage Skeets

I used to live on Sheaf Gardens near the bottom of Granville Road in the early fifties. For some reason, the railway horses came along our road instead of Queens Road to get to the goods yard on Queens Road. We used to run out with a bucket and shovel whenever they came past. We had some lovely roses.

Guest Rowlinson

Hi Rowlinson Just found this reference to The Last Pit Pony. Retired from Newmarket Station 1967

http://www.gersociety.org.uk/Pupil%20Sample.pdf

Thank's for that. I've seen somewhere an old photo of two shire horses pulling a wagon out of the double gate entranc to the old Wicker goods yard. Anyone know where it was published?

Guest skeets

I don't remember the horses at Bridgehouses but I believe the last railway horse in Britain was retired in the 1960s

skeets , Hi , l was not aware when they retired , thanks, for the info; l was talking just before the war, about 1938 l woud be 13 . Cheers Arthur.

Guest skeets
I don't remember the horses at Bridhehouses but I believe the last railway horse in Britain was retired in the 1960s
This was 1938 l was 13 SKEETS