Norfolk Park 1980-1990's

SM524

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if there's been any more developments on Norfolk Park recently, love to see more photos if anyone has any.

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if there's been any more developments on Norfolk Park recently, love to see more photos if anyone has any.

I will bear this in mind the next time I walk through the estate with my camerea. For example there are some modern highly energy efficient houses on what used to be Guildford View. They have been painted in different pastle colours so that they look like the houses in Tobermoray. (Either the Scottish fishing port or the childrens TV series)

Hi everyone,

Hi SM524,

due to the atrocious weather conditions (snow & ice) we have had here in Sheffield,

my last visit up to the estate saw me ending up on my backside lol

Are you aware that Picture Sheffield has added some new entires to it's database,

quite a few new photos of the Norfolk Park Area have been added.

You may even be able to spot your old house!

Hi everyone

Thanks for your replies, I will have a look right now at picture sheffield.

They seem to have a lot of new pictures of the demolition, by explosives, of many of the tower blocks. Most of these appear to have been taken with a motor driven camera which takes 3 or 4 frames per second. It is possible (I've tried it) to join these together into a short and fairly crude annimation of the towers falling.

Out of interest I would post a typical sample animation here except that, -

Copyright still rests with picture sheffield, the images used to make the animation remain theirs and they expressly forbid using their pictures elsewhere, hence our requirement to use links only.

Although Sheffield History can handle pictures in certain formats as uploads very well I don't think it can accept animated GIF or MPEG files

Sheffield History has an upload limit of 2Mb and even these very short animations would easily exceed this limit.

However, the resources are there on picturesheffield, many computer programmes will allow a number of pictures to be run together as a short animation (I used Paint Shop Pro's Animation Shop) so my advice would be, - why not give it a try?

The demolition of Grange Tower, you need 'Apple Quicktime' to view it.

Video clip of the demolition

Nice link SteveHB, thanks for that one. The one (or 2) that I had a go at animating were the ones at the bottom of Northern Avenue, the ones I had stood on the top floor over to take many of my "Norfolk Park" pictures from. These blocks were demolished on 7 November 1999. I watched their demolition from a viewing area on Arbourthorne playing fields but did not take any photos or video at the time.

Guest SheffBlade

A few of mine

Looking towards Tower Drive block

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gigglejuice/2899514194/

Looking at the back of the shops (Park Grange Drive) the the Jervis Lum pub (now gone)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gigglejuice/2899514176/

Bluestone school (now demolished) and flats

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gigglejuice/2899514168/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gigglejuice/2899514160/

A few of mine

Looking towards Tower Drive block

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gigglejuice/2899514194/

Looking at the back of the shops (Park Grange Drive) the the Jervis Lum pub (now gone)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gigglejuice/2899514176/

Bluestone school (now demolished) and flats

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gigglejuice/2899514168/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gigglejuice/2899514160/

Great pictures from your flickr site SheffBlade

At a guess your pictures of Bluestone School appear to be taken from the bottom of Samuel Road, is this the location?

Guest SheffBlade

They were taken from Park Grange Close/Mount. Near the bottom by the front row of Vic Hallams (now long gone)

They were taken from Park Grange Close/Mount. Near the bottom by the front row of Vic Hallams (now long gone)

Not far off then.

My wife lived in the Vic Hallams off Samuel Road before we were married and our daughters went to Bluestones for a while so the pictures looked very familiar, thank you for sharing them.

Guest SheffBlade

Not far off then.

My wife lived in the Vic Hallams off Samuel Road before we were married and our daughters went to Bluestones for a while so the pictures looked very familiar, thank you for sharing them.

I went to Bluestone too. Sad to see it just a patch of land these days

I went to Bluestone too. Sad to see it just a patch of land these days

Daughters were there roughly between 1983 and 1987 (mid eighties). They enjoyed it but we then moved off the Norfolk Park estate to Intake where they went to Gleadless school.

As you say, sad to see the school has now gone, but there are so many schools in Sheffield that I now think that about.

Guest SheffBlade

Daughters were there roughly between 1983 and 1987 (mid eighties). They enjoyed it but we then moved off the Norfolk Park estate to Intake where they went to Gleadless school.

As you say, sad to see the school has now gone, but there are so many schools in Sheffield that I now think that about.

I was there mid eighties too. Was a lovely little school. My daughter only got to go there for the nursery before it closed. :(

I was there mid eighties too. Was a lovely little school. My daughter only got to go there for the nursery before it closed. :(

I assume that when the school closed the students already there would be sent to either the old Norfolk junior, which remained open in the new secondary school tower after the old school was closed and demolished, or to the new Norfolk school just outside Norfolk Park when this school finally opened.

Guest SheffBlade

This is the sorry state of the shops now :( Only the chemist is left who are doing a cracking job of being the only community shop on the estate (they now sell 'essentials')

Guest SheffBlade

Speaking of shops... does anyone remember Gage and his family? I've known them pretty much all my life and it was a sad day when they had to close the shop. We all had drinks in and around the shop and he was giving stuff away. So very generous. He wouldn't hear of anyone paying for drinks and they could just help themselves!

Was great to see them move back in the area! He now has the shop on Myrtle road. He's not there often but lovely to see them again. He said he loved the area and couldn't resist when that shop became available lol

This is the sorry state of the shops now :( Only the chemist is left who are doing a cracking job of being the only community shop on the estate (they now sell 'essentials')

There used to be another chip shop on this row of shops as well which was handy for coming out of the Jervis. That chip shop has gone as well just like the one behind the Captive Queen, so, next question is -

1. How many chip shops were on the Norfolk Park estate?

2. How many are still open?

If chip shops are like boozers then the answer to Q2 will most likely be none :(

Guest SheffBlade

No chippy's left, no. It went years ago on here. It used to be the end shop closest to the camera. :(

Guest transit

There used to be another chip shop on this row of shops as well which was handy for coming out of the Jervis. That chip shop has gone as well just like the one behind the Captive Queen, so, next question is -

1. How many chip shops were on the Norfolk Park estate?

2. How many are still open?

If chip shops are like boozers then the answer to Q2 will most likely be none :(

....question 1 - bit before 80-90 (around mid 70's) but can remember the mobile chippy lorry. Used to park opposite the Fellbrigg near the threepenny bit newsagents ??????

Going back to the shops , they were brilliant early 70's - used to be mates with a lad whose mother owned the hairdressers in the middle (they also lived above) and used to play table tennis in the shop at night, followed by chippy on the end ....happy days....

Guest SheffBlade

The shops over the years I remember were (80's-90's) Chemist/PO combined - still there but the PO has closed down. It's now a chemist/convenience store. Theres was a fruit/veg shop that sold half penny sweets! A butchers. A hairdressers. A newsagent. A betting shop. Gages tiny shop (until he went and bought most of the block and converted it!), a chippy..... opposite where the co-op and tennants association. The co-op clung on as long as it could. Now demolished alongside the tennants association.

Most of these were changed over the years, especially in the 90's. The hairdressers made a brief comeback but failed. The chippy changed hands a lot.

Only a couple of things left now, perhaps three. The chemist and one or two drop in advice places.

....question 1 - bit before 80-90 (around mid 70's) but can remember the mobile chippy lorry. Used to park opposite the Fellbrigg near the threepenny bit newsagents ??????

Going back to the shops , they were brilliant early 70's - used to be mates with a lad whose mother owned the hairdressers in the middle (they also lived above) and used to play table tennis in the shop at night, followed by chippy on the end ....happy days....

So if we count a visiting mobile chip lorry there were 3 chip shops on the estate. I never used it transit but you are correct, there was a mobile shop which came and parked up near that newsagents kiosk, but it only came on a certain day of the week and I seem to remember it wasn't that reliable at turning up at all, a bit like ice cream vans.

I will bear this in mind the next time I walk through the estate with my camerea. For example there are some modern highly energy efficient houses on what used to be Guildford View. They have been painted in different pastle colours so that they look like the houses in Tobermoray. (Either the Scottish fishing port or the childrens TV series)

The new 'Geen Homes'

The new 'Geen Homes'

Thanks Steve, I had forgotten about them and could have took some pictures when I went on my recent tour of the Jervis Lum, - in fact they almost make it onto one of the pictures showing the site of the 2 smaller ponds (now gone).

See what I mean about that Tobermoray look.