Norfolk Park 1980-1990's

SM524

Thanks for the pic of the Horse and Lion pub SteveHB, it doesn't look good does it, wonder if anyone will reopen it in the future?

Guest plain talker

I would say that The Horse And Lions life is limited. :-(

I'm not sure if they aren't trying to get the H&L "listed", as it's quite an innovative design, and unusual materials were used in the construction.

Guest NorfolkPark

alrayt there SM524 I see you are a Queenslander these days - hope you watched the Origin last night!

I lived at 100A Norfolk Park Road 1976-1980 so I just about squeeze in to the criteria. My old man worked at the young offenders hostel there.

I emigrated to Oz too but to Sydney - anyway, I bumped in to some people at Sydney airport last year who sounded like they had familiar accents. Turns out they were Sheffielders and they said - "Eeee lad there wor NOWT wrong wi' them flats in Norfolk park - it wor just the people that wor in 'em!"

made me laugh!

HI NorfolkPark Yes I heard about the match not too good for us queenslanders eh! lol

Us Sheffielders get everywhere, when I first arrived here about 8 yr ago now, I got into a taxi at my local shopping centre and it turned out he was from Sheffield! His dad and mine lived about 5 mins away from each other, small world !!

That bloke weren't wrong, there were some 'characters' in those flats! lol

Just to add another recent photo of what the Norfolk Park shopping area (what's left of it) is like now,

in the background (right) is the foot-bridge over Park Grange Road and the apartments built in the Queens Tower Grounds.

If anyone has any photos of the area I'd love to see them.

If you go onto the "Sheffield Places - Now gone" and into a strand called "Norfolk Park estate 1970's" I have posted a number of my pictures there. Although they are 70's the estate changed little until the end of the 90's when it was redeveloped.

I remember my first flat it was the top floor of Guilford view. Because work had to be done to the roof we were moved to St Aidens mount. Some one was murdered there (in the next flat to me) around 1985 and it caused a stirr at the time. The man who commited the murder was called Dell Shannon after the famous singer. I wonder if anyone remembers this murder?

There was another murder on one of the 3 blocks on St. Aidens which took place in 1973 and was committed by a youth called John Frith. Can anyone, possibly a bit older or with a longer memory remember this one?

Latest update is more bad news for the residents of Norfolk Park,

the Post Office that has stood since the opening of the estate is due to close on or after 11/11/08.

The Chemist will stay open,

I can't understand why they try to rejuvenate an area with new housing

yet don't provide facilities like local shops etc for the residents.

HI

Thanks SteveHB for the photo of the post office, it is a shame like you said that they are closing it down especially when there's all the new building going on.

I'll have a look on the other strand at the photos you put on, thanks DaveH

View taken standing next to the footbridge (near the Horse & Lion PH)

Quote DaveH

"An down in the City itself there is one block built to this same design still standing

Exeter Drive (Hanover)"

The Tower Block that was built to the same design as the Norfolk Park & Claywood Drive blocks,

can be seen in front of the Royal Hallamshire Hospital

Guest transit

View taken standing next to the footbridge (near the Horse & Lion PH)

Quote DaveH

"An down in the City itself there is one block built to this same design still standing

Exeter Drive (Hanover)"

The Tower Block that was built to the same design as the Norfolk Park & Claywood Drive blocks,

can be seen in front of the Royal Hallamshire Hospital

....cant believe i had never seen / heard of that block - just did'nt know it existed!!!!!!!! :o

....cant believe i had never seen / heard of that block - just did'nt know it existed!!!!!!!! :o

I knew the block existed, in fact “I'm looking at it now through my window”

But never knew it was the same design as the N/P blocks until DaveH pointed this out

Guest plain talker

I knew the block existed, in fact I'm looking at it now through my windowâ

But never knew it was the same design as the N/P blocks until DaveH pointed this out

As you go into Doncaster station by train, there are a couple (possibly three) of these blocks, to the same design as the Norfolk Park/ Claywood/ Exeter Drive blocks. funnily enough my friend who comes from Doncaster says they are in a district called.. wait for it....

Hyde Park!!! he he:huh: :o

What a great photo, a lot has changed around the city as well as Norfolk Park from when I was last there, I remember well what the view used to look like. I have some video footage of Norfolk Park that my parents took back in 1994 of the whole area starting from The Manor top down to Parkspring Grove where I used to live in the maisonettes and further down to the end of ParkGrange Rd. There were road works everywhere for the Super tram. If I can manage to get it onto a DVD (as it's on the old VHS tape)I will try to post a bit of it .Might take me a while though !!

I knew the block existed, in fact “I'm looking at it now through my window”

I knew it existed but thought it strange to build it where it is in town. It looks quite small and insignificant down there really. All the other blocks were built on hilltops or in locations where there were no other tall buildings which made them stand proud and dominant.

So we have now posted pictures of ALL these blocks in Sheffield.

I didn't know, until SteveHB posted the picyure of the Claywoods being built (presumably 1966-7 ??) that they were built by Gleesons.

In the earlier posts in this thread people have asked to see pictures of the estate and if they have not been there since the 1980's / 1990's seem surprised at how much it has changed.

so here is a picture from the 1980's of the Bluestones School site looking down towards the Beeches tower block and the row of shops where the post office and chip shop previously mentioned are, although in this shot they are viewed from behind.

Thanks for the photo DaveH that's exactly how I remembered it as my daughter used to go to Bluestones school and I knew a few people who lived in the Beeches block. Hard to believe it's all gone now but from the photos other people have posted as well of what it looks like now I think it's a change for the better. The flats were only good for singles and couples, not good for families with 2 or more children which in the 80's and 90's the council seemed to put 100 's of them in there due to shortages of houses.

Thanks for the photo DaveH that's exactly how I remembered it as my daughter used to go to Bluestones school and I knew a few people who lived in the Beeches block. Hard to believe it's all gone now but from the photos other people have posted as well of what it looks like now I think it's a change for the better. The flats were only good for singles and couples, not good for families with 2 or more children which in the 80's and 90's the council seemed to put 100 's of them in there due to shortages of houses.

Glad you liked the picture SM524.

The photo is taken from the footpath just down from the Vic Hallams on Samuel Road where my wife used to live before we were married. Her children went initially to Bluestones school but this is now gone, replaced with the new Norfolk School outside Norfolk Park on the site of 2 other tower blocks. This school has also replaced the old Norfolk School on the Arbourthorne. Although the estate is in the process of major change and ultimately it will all be for the better at present this particular area around the shops is very run down and awaiting redevelopment as can be seen in some of SteveHB's pictures of the shops taken for the closure of the post office. It is not a good idea to put families in high rise flats but the 1980's and 1990's did coincide with the Thatcher Governments "right to buy" policy on council housing (1980). Unfortunately Council tennants in good family houses took up their right buy in large numbers but those in flats did not, leaving mainly flats available to the council and not many houses as these had been "sold off" to tennants under the new law. This would lead directly to the situation you have described.

Glad you liked the picture SM524.

The photo is taken from the footpath just down from the Vic Hallams on Samuel Road where my wife used to live before we were married. Her children went initially to Bluestones school but this is now gone, replaced with the new Norfolk School outside Norfolk Park on the site of 2 other tower blocks. This school has also replaced the old Norfolk School on the Arbourthorne. Although the estate is in the process of major change and ultimately it will all be for the better at present this particular area around the shops is very run down and awaiting redevelopment as can be seen in some of SteveHB's pictures of the shops taken for the closure of the post office. It is not a good idea to put families in high rise flats but the 1980's and 1990's did coincide with the Thatcher Governments "right to buy" policy on council housing (1980). Unfortunately Council tennants in good family houses took up their right buy in large numbers but those in flats did not, leaving mainly flats available to the council and not many houses as these had been "sold off" to tennants under the new law. This would lead directly to the situation you have described.

Hi hope you all had a great xmas. Just to reply to the above.Yes you are quite right about what led to all those families being put into flats because of Thatchers policys, I was 'lucky' to be given a maisonette although being surrounded by people below and either side with kids was a bit of a nightmare to be honest as the walls and ceilings were so thin.I remember the floorboards in the living room bouncing when you walked on them and being able to hear the neighbours water running when they were taking a bath!

I seem to remember at that time there was mass unemployment on the estate as well. Funnily enough the film The full Monty is showing over here on New year's Eve I still like to watch it even though I've seen it loads of times. Happy New Year to everyone!!

Hi hope you all had a great xmas. Just to reply to the above.Yes you are quite right about what led to all those families being put into flats because of Thatchers policys, I was 'lucky' to be given a maisonette although being surrounded by people below and either side with kids was a bit of a nightmare to be honest as the walls and ceilings were so thin.I remember the floorboards in the living room bouncing when you walked on them and being able to hear the neighbours water running when they were taking a bath!

I seem to remember at that time there was mass unemployment on the estate as well. Funnily enough the film The full Monty is showing over here on New year's Eve I still like to watch it even though I've seen it loads of times. Happy New Year to everyone!!

Happy new year SM524.

25 years on and how have things changed?

Most new building on the Norfolk Park estate seems to be "private" housing, built with a view to sale rather than rent. Nothing wrong with that, under the "right to buy" legislation most people now favour owning their own property rather than renting.

Just as this new housing becomes available what happens?

A credit crunch, Banks losing money on bad debts, Banks needing Government help to stay afloat, Banks reluctant to lend money, and therefore no mortgages readily available.

Add to that companies which are major employers going under the receivers hammer on a daily basis leading to, once again, mass unemployment and a bleak outlook for the future. Who can afford to repay a motgage? This is a bit like asking Who can guarantee their income for the next 25 years? In a world where thousands of jobs are dissapearing daily.

Then of course the price of houses are falling because of all this. Who wants to take out a mortgage now on a property which will be worth less in a few months time - Buying now could be a negative equity trap!

Perhaps with all the problems around us now living in a Council flat or Maisonette would be a better option.

Guest plain talker

Happy new year SM524.

25 years on and how have things changed?

Most new building on the Norfolk Park estate seems to be "private" housing, built with a view to sale rather than rent. Nothing wrong with that, under the "right to buy" legislation most people now favour owning their own property rather than renting.

Just as this new housing becomes available what happens?

A credit crunch, Banks losing money on bad debts, Banks needing Government help to stay afloat, Banks reluctant to lend money, and therefore no mortgages readily available.

Add to that companies which are major employers going under the receivers hammer on a daily basis leading to, once again, mass unemployment and a bleak outlook for the future. Who can afford to repay a motgage? This is a bit like asking Who can guarantee their income for the next 25 years? In a world where thousands of jobs are dissapearing daily.

Then of course the price of houses are falling because of all this. Who wants to take out a mortgage now on a property which will be worth less in a few months time - Buying now could be a negative equity trap!

Perhaps with all the problems around us now living in a Council flat or Maisonette would be a better option.

I have to say, I personally prefer to rent from a social landlord (council or Housing Association) and have security of tenure in this time of fiscal troubles. (and have the landlord be responsible for the major repairs and maintenance)

I have to say, I personally prefer to rent from a social landlord (council or Housing Association) and have security of tenure in this time of fiscal troubles. (and have the landlord be responsible for the major repairs and maintenance)

Hi plain talker.

Sorry to have to give such a pessamistic (albeit realistic) outlook into the future in my previous post, especially at this time of year.

Happy New Year and all the best for 2009.

Let's hope it turns out better than the experts have predicted.

Guest plain talker

Hi plain talker.

Sorry to have to give such a pessamistic (albeit realistic) outlook into the future in my previous post, especially at this time of year.

Happy New Year and all the best for 2009.

Let's hope it turns out better than the experts have predicted.

"I second that emotion":- I certainly hope there is an upturn, as this whole recession thing is worrying me.