Norfolk Park 1980-1990's

SM524

And some more new development for the area,

the large open green space above the Horse & Lion PH (to the right of Samuel Dv)

The land was going to be used for the building of a new health clinic and shops,

but Sheffield Council have changed there mind

and it's now going to be the site of 'more new homes'

The security fence is in place, so work should be starting soon.

View taken standing next to the footbridge (near the Horse & Lion PH)

Quote DaveH

"An down in the City itself there is one block built to this same design still standing

Exeter Drive (Hanover)"

The Tower Block that was built to the same design as the Norfolk Park & Claywood Drive blocks,

can be seen in front of the Royal Hallamshire Hospital

LAST MAN STANDING

Although this is NOT the Norfolk Park estate it is the only block of flats in the City to the same design and layout as the Norfolk Park flats

This is Hanover Block on Exeter Drive

The last of its kind. Lets hope that like Park Hill they make it a listed building and preserve it.

Photos taken July 2009.

View from Ecclesall Road Roundabout

View from Exeter Drive

Guest plain talker

LAST MAN STANDING

Although this is NOT the Norfolk Park estate it is the only block of flats in the City to the same design and layout as the Norfolk Park flats

This is Hanover Block on Exeter Drive

The last of its kind. Lets hope that like Park Hill they make it a listed building and preserve it.

Photos taken July 2009.

View from Ecclesall Road Roundabout

View from Exeter Drive

Slightly off-topic, I know, but, sad architecture-fanatic that I am, I'd really love to know where other examples of the high-rise flats that existed in Sheffield are, up and down the country.

I know that there is at least one block, which is identical to the remaining Hanover block, in Doncaster, which you can see standing near the train-tracks as you come into Donny Station.

I'm also sure I have seen flats built to the same design as the Netherthorpe flats (but a gnats' taller) as I drove through another city, but it was so long ago, I forgot where it was.

I know that there is at least one block, which is identical to the remaining Hanover block, in Doncaster, which you can see standing near the train-tracks as you come into Donny Station.

Now as I have probably said before there was a time when you came into Sheffield Midland Station and was greeted home by those tall iconic blocks standing high on the hill above you, that was the Norfolk Park tower blocks. A very familiar, welcome homely sight if you had been out of the City for some time.

Latest update is more bad news for the residents of Norfolk Park,

the Post Office that has stood since the opening of the estate is due to close on or after 11/11/08.

The Chemist will stay open,

I can't understand why they try to rejuvenate an area with new housing

yet don't provide facilities like local shops etc for the residents.

Good news, Norfolk Park P.O. may re-open.

The council wants to invest £500,000 in reopening the Norfolk Park branch in Park Grange Road

and the Nether Green post office in Oakbrook Road.

BBC News .. Move to reopen city post offices

The council wants to invest £500,000 in reopening the Norfolk Park branch in Park Grange Road

Now that the estate has been redeveloped with new housing in the last 8 years there must be enough people living there to create enough demand for not only a post office but also a whole range of shops. I am sure the residents don't want to go into town or up to Manor Top every time they want a bottle of milk and a few groceries. The whole set of shops removed from this estate need putting back.

...and while I'm at it, what about having a decent pub or two again instead of all those churches?

Now that the estate has been redeveloped with new housing in the last 8 years there must be enough people living there to create enough demand for not only a post office but also a whole range of shops. I am sure the residents don't want to go into town or up to Manor Top every time they want a bottle of milk and a few groceries. The whole set of shops removed from this estate need putting back.

...and while I'm at it, what about having a decent pub or two again instead of all those churches?

looks like the whole row of shops is now gone including the post office

OK it was Sunday morning and the shops may just be closed and shuttered up, but even from the back of the block it appears they are now derelict.

I don't think there is much chance of the Post Office reopening in a hurry now that the entire row of shops is now empty.

..and this old pillar box opposite what was the Post Office is definately a dead letter box

In the earlier posts in this thread people have asked to see pictures of the estate and if they have not been there since the 1980's / 1990's seem surprised at how much it has changed.

so here is a picture from the 1980's of the Bluestones School site looking down towards the Beeches tower block and the row of shops where the post office and chip shop previously mentioned are, although in this shot they are viewed from behind.

The site of Bluestones school today taken from the main entrance, a very sorry sight.

The caretakers house was on the right of this driveway facing you and the school itself was on the left running along its length.

I don't think there is much chance of the Post Office reopening in a hurry now that the entire row of shops is now empty.

..and this old pillar box opposite what was the Post Office is definately a dead letter box

Good photos Dave,

but as far as I know the chemists/one time post office is still in business

as is the job club that is on the R/H side of it,

both unlikely to be open on a Sunday!

Has the post box got a blanking plate across the posting slot opening?

Good photos Dave,

but as far as I know the chemists/one time post office is still in business

as is the job club that is on the R/H side of it,

both unlikely to be open on a Sunday!

Has the post box got a blanking plate across the posting slot opening?

Hmmm...

Now I wonder.

Clearly non of the flats above and behind the row of shops are in use, and residents don't normally board up all there windows on a Sunday morning.

If the post office is still open it can't be a very nice place to work, isolated down there with lots of money and valuable goods that are easily nicked or robbed at knife / gun point. Wouldn't like to be the postmaster in there.

In fact I wouldn't like to walk out of there having just cashed a Giro or a postal order. :o

The posting slot is not blanked off but it has no details of collection times on display, or the time of the next collection and it didn't appear to be locked properly.

I may put this one to the test by posting a letter to myself in this box and see if it ever gets delivered and how long it takes. lol

The bridge over Park Grange Road between Samuel Road and the Kenninghalls

The tunnel under Park Grange Road near the Guildfords

View up towards the Arbourthorne

View down towards Norfolk Park

The tunnel under Park Grange Road near the Guildfords

View up towards the Arbourthorne

View down towards Norfolk Park

The tunnel itself, at one time a hang out for gangs, drug addict / dealers and the like has varied over the years from been an eyesore to a decorative underpass.

Now that the estate has been "done up" it is currently decorated to a standard similar to that in the old Manor Top underpass.

The current decorations depict, on one side, recollections of the old Norfolk Park estate, and on the other side a brighter view of the estates future.

Hmmm...

Now I wonder.

Clearly non of the flats above and behind the row of shops are in use, and residents don't normally board up all there windows on a Sunday morning.

If the post office is still open it can't be a very nice place to work, isolated down there with lots of money and valuable goods that are easily nicked or robbed at knife / gun point. Wouldn't like to be the postmaster in there.

In fact I wouldn't like to walk out of there having just cashed a Giro or a postal order. :o

The posting slot is not blanked off but it has no details of collection times on display, or the time of the next collection and it didn't appear to be locked properly.

I may put this one to the test by posting a letter to myself in this box and see if it ever gets delivered and how long it takes. lol

The post box has a daily collection and today it was showing the day of collection plate

The staff in the chemists have no knowledge as to the Post Office counter reopening,

but the redundant counter is still there on the L/H side.

The Job Club next to it has closed down, by the way.

The post box has a daily collection and today it was showing the day of collection plate

The staff in the chemists have no knowledge as to the Post Office counter reopening,

but the redundant counter is still there on the L/H side.

The Job Club next to it has closed down, by the way.

So, I take it then that the chemists is still open, the Post Office isn't but that abandonned looking and not very secure pillar box is still active.

If the job club is shut it seems to indicate that they seem resigned to long term unemployment in the area and have almost given up trying to look for local jobs. :(

Hello

It's been a while since I've been on here and was just wondering if there were any more changes to the area recently? Would love to see more pics if anyone has any .

Thanks

Hello

It's been a while since I've been on here and was just wondering if there were any more changes to the area recently? Would love to see more pics if anyone has any .

Thanks

It's hardly recognisable to what it was like in the 1980's now.

i have posted some pictures in the last couple of years but I will get some more recent ones when I get round to it.

It's hardly recognisable to what it was like in the 1980's now.

i have posted some pictures in the last couple of years but I will get some more recent ones when I get round to it.

More building work under way on Park Grange Road spotted this week

I have no idea what it is going to be when it is finished

More houses? More silly eco designs? Some shops?

Yet another church? Or even a boozer to replace the 5 theay have gone?

It is on the site of the old Beldon tower block immediately behind the Arbourthorne Road tram stop.

Any ideas what it is going to be?

Answers to be posted on here please.

Guest shullie

hi, I hink it's going to be a/the new doctors suregery and chemist - the signs on the side say NHS ... we shall have to wait and see.

hi, I hink it's going to be a/the new doctors suregery and chemist - the signs on the side say NHS ... we shall have to wait and see.

I have just got a new doctors surgery on the Arbourthorne.

Moved from Northern Avenue shopping centre to East Bank Road about this time last year and it has really improved the service.

I know the old Norfolk Park medical centre was down near the old prefabricated building that was St. Leonards church for many years before it moved into the old Fellbrigg and was over the bridge on the opposite side of Park Grange Road to the old Jervis Lum.

It certainly needed a more modern building so perhaps Norfolk Park is about to get a similar NHS improvement to the one on the Arbourthorne, - and not before time.

Hi Everyone

I've attached some photos that I've taken off my video that was filmed by my parents back in 1994, sorry if the quality isn't too good, I'm new to all this! Hope they might be of interest to someone.

Regards Sue

Thanks for the images SM524,

A lot of good memories of views now gone there, the Jervis, the kiosk, the Horse & Lion.

Great stuff.