Demolition

I remembered a program presented by Kevin McCloud about ugly buildings... I remember it featuring the old Uni building next to the train station before it was knocked down (or it may have been part way to being fully demolished)... Was searching for it when I came across this program:

http://www.channel4.com/life/microsites/D/...ion/series.html

(episode 3)

Pretty sure it's the same program I remember but I don't remember anything about Park Hill flats being on it...

Could just be my rubbish memory though :)

The first building mentioned on that link is Westgate House in Newcastle, I am pleased to let you know, it is no more, demolished !

It would have been a contender for ugliness in any competion worldwide, not for being ugly, it was just a big rectangle but for the way it stuck out, on legs, right across a main road, right slap-bang in the middle of Newcastle's Grainger town, all beautifully preserved (1830's). Vile place, I used to work there in 1984, not one that will be missed .....

Guest skeets

what about that misguided boffin recently likening a n ugly east end of london block of flats to the victorian crescent in Bath, in fact he preferred them Skeets

I know this is slightly off topic but I remember in the early ninties when "loft living" was starting to be all the rage, all you heard on the telly was people moaning that we had knocked down old Victorian buildings in the sixties and seventies. They said it was change for changes' sake.

Now we're doing the same to buildings put up in the seventies.....I was in Rotherham Central Library last week and was told that it is coming down in a year or two....which I think is a shame.

Its not the best looking building but it is very of its time and something to be kept.....its not in bad shape either so why get rid of it?

I didnt know that its proper title is the Brian O'Mally Library and Military Museum either