Base Green?

Guest Craig

Hi,

My wife and me are in the process of buying a house in Base Green, and I'm really interested in finding out some history on the area. Got a few interesting facts and stories from Sheffield Forum but I still want more :)

I'm not from Sheffield originally and I'm just interested in knowing more about where I'm going to be living for the next few years - have lived here for about 3 years maybe and am vaguely familiar with the local area as my in-laws live in Birley.

So any facts or stories anyone has about the history of Base Green or S12 in general would be nice to hear :)

Cheers

Guest Uppsy_Daisy

Hi Craig, I myself is from that area and can tell you a little about Basegreen. The parliamentary Survey of 1640 mentions Basegreen. The land betwen charnock hall, where charnock school stands and white lane was called Basegreen Common. The Manor Court Rolls of Eckington (the land was the parsih of Eckington, Derbyshire) dated 1717 have an entry of a land purchased at BAYS GREEN. The School (now demolished) and the estate are built on what were the fields of Base Green. The Jaunty area of Base Green was named after Jonathan Rhodes who was a nineteenth century land and colliery owner who lived at charnock hall. He was quite a character and was widely known as Jonty or Johnty. His small colliery from 1893 was described as Johnty Lane. This has since been corrupted to Jaunty Lane. When the new estate was built the name remained and was joined by Jaunty Avenue, drive, close, crescent, mount, view, place, road and way. By the mid of 1950 all schemes in hand were going well. Basegreen estate, at first looking like a scarred battlefield owing to old pit shafts and other disused earthworks with which the site was covered, made the work very much worse by the heavy rain and created tension between the staff, builders and operations. The 300 year old Base Green farmhouse was demolished in 1952 to make way for St Peters Church for the residents. Part of the land belonging to base green farm at town end was sold by Brewster Bradley to a man called Jack Jones, who built the houses. Building stop during the war, but after sheffield city council made a compulsory purchase order around 1946/47. Brewster Bradley died in 1948 and his son carried on at the farm until work started on the Base Green housing estate in the early 50's. Hope that has given you some enlightenment of the estate. Basegreen along with Frecheville is a great up and coming area..a great place to live, best of both worlds..the counrtyside on your doorstep, town not far from the other!