Sheffield's First Indian Restaurant

Sheffield History

Trying to track down which was Sheffield's first indian.

So far the following are candidates:

Induz - Fitzalan Square (where Cooplands is now) next to the cinema

Nirmals - Glossop Road (still there today)

The Naaz - On the Wicker

The Oriental - Barrack Hill, Hillsborough

Either 'The Everest' or 'Himalaya' in the city centre (glossop road area) next to Pollards grocers.

Guest codeyes

Trying to track down which was Sheffield's first indian.

So far the following are candidates:

Induz - Fitzalan Square (where Cooplands is now) next to the cinema

Nirmals - Glossop Road (still there today)

The Naaz - On the Wicker

The Oriental - Barrack Hill, Hillsborough

Either 'The Everest' or 'Himalaya' in the city centre (glossop road area) next to Pollards grocers.

I am sure that it was The Everest mate.....from around 1980 ish

Guest daveyboy66

Both the Induz and Naaz were open before 1980.

I think the Induz was the first although I remember going in the Naaz at 7am in the morning on New Years Day after a lock in at the Hole in the Road pub which my mum worked at. Which must have been around 1977/8

There was definitely an Indian in Sheffield in 1966ish.

The blokes from work took me there after work once or twice.

I think it was on West Bar somewhere around New Street area.

We worked at Footprint Tools on Hollis Croft and we walked there, so it must have been quite close.

There was definitely an Indian in Sheffield in 1966ish.

The blokes from work took me there after work once or twice.

I think it was on West Bar somewhere around New Street area.

We worked at Footprint Tools on Hollis Croft and we walked there, so it must have been quite close.

On my stag night in 1968 we all finished up in some sort of foreign restaurant at the bottom of Snig Hill, somewhere near New Street on the same side as the gun shop, it was up some stairs. Anyone remember it ? Could have been the one you visited vox. W/E.

On my stag night in 1968 we all finished up in some sort of foreign restaurant at the bottom of Snig Hill, somewhere near New Street on the same side as the gun shop, it was up some stairs. Anyone remember it ? Could have been the one you visited vox. W/E.

I don't remember the stairs but near the Gun-shop is right around where I was thinking. It's most probably the same place W.E. Sheffield wasn't suffering a plethora of "exotic" (as they were considered then) restaurants at the time. lol

We were pretty "amateur" at spicy food eating in those days weren't we.

The older blokes from the Toolroom took me. (Older blokes! - well they seemed it to me at the time. I was in my teens and they would have only been in their 20's - 30's) he he They ordered the mildest curry on the menu for my first go. They all sat watching while I took my first mouthful, and they weren't disappointed. It was a right shock. :o Probably the spiciest thing I'd come across up to then would have been SpagBol.

Guest snodgrass

According to 1965 Kelly's there were two obviously Indian restaurants:

(one I cannot recall) Bombay Restaurant - 130/132 Attercliffe Common

(one I visited occasionally) Taj Mahal - 349 Ecclesall Road

I'm fairly sure that around 1972/73 I also sampled some good meals at the Manzil on Ecclesall Road

In the same era it was always a difficult choice whether to eat at The Himalaya or walk across West Street to The New Bengal - Nirmal's didn't exist then

Anyway this is making me hungry - must find the bombay mix!

Guest rcolley

I think the Bombay on Attercliffe Common was the earliesr. It advertised "Best Curry in UK"

The upmarket Ajanta at the bottom of Carver St was there in 1963.

The Tah Mahal in Eccleshall Road and the Raja on Abbeydale Road were there around 1964/65.

Ate in them all the 1960s.

Guest sotonowl

They made a mistake at the printers. It was called Passage To India. :o

should've been back passage to india

Okay, I know it wasn't the earliest but does anyone remember the Paradise at the bottom of London Road prior to it burning down in about 1985?

Not my first Indian in Sheffield, but me and my mates used to go there a lot (usually well after midnight and drunk!). It did a really evil Vindaloo which we all loved!

I don't know if it is still as good, but Nirmal's was always my favourite in terms of overall quality/

They made a mistake at the printers. It was called Passage To India. :o

Passage to India !!!!!! Does anyone remember the exploits of the Heeley couple and their Reliant 3 wheeler ? On one occasion they were waved off by the Lord Mayor of Sheffield from the Town Hall it must have been in the late 60s early 70s, their destination was India. W/E.

Passage to India !!!!!! Does anyone remember the exploits of the Heeley couple and their Reliant 3 wheeler ? On one occasion they were waved off by the Lord Mayor of Sheffield from the Town Hall it must have been in the late 60s early 70s, their destination was India. W/E.

Didn't they make a habit of travelling the entire world, not just to India, in their 3 wheeler?

Guest Jean_Helen

Hi everyone, I am a new member. I remember going to the Islamabad (Slammers!) and Rim Jims, both on Attercliffe Common. This was very early 70`s when I was first married. Could these be among the first???

First curry house I went to was late seventies....Induz. I also remember Passage to India very well....lived close to there so visited it frequently in the 80's. Nirmals has been around since late 70's, earlt 80's. I remeber Nirmal and Pashota Gupta from when they had the Indian shop on the corner of Colchester Road, Mulehouse Road in Crookes in the 70's 

Screenshot 2020-06-07 at 09.37.38.jpg

I remember reading somewhere that the first Indian in Sheffield was the curry inn on Ecclesall Road, I can't remember where I read that though.