Sheffield Engine Sheds - Article Steam Days Mag

Guest bus man

Guest bus man

The current issue of Steam Days Magazine (March 2008 - £3-75p) as a 16 page article on Sheffield railway sheds .

The article is very details and as many colour and black and white photos well worth the money for this articlce alone.

Copies should be available in the usual outlets - Sheffield Transport Modles on London Road has copies but he expects to have to get more than his usual stocks

Enjoy

Guest bus man

Where were the Sheffield Engine Sheds?

Everywhere (well almost ) the article covers - pictorily :Darnall. Grimesthorpe, Millhouses, Nunnery, Neepsend - they went all open at the same time darnall replaced neepsend for example .

They were all replaced by the new diesel facility at Tinsley which is of course no more .

I've seen some old shots of the Brightside end of Newhall Road and in the background was a huge coaling plant.....which shed was that at?

Guest bus man

I suspect it was darnall , however there is a photo in the article of the coaling hopper been demolished at grimesthorpe shed .

I've seen some old shots of the Brightside end of Newhall Road and in the background was a huge coaling plant.....which shed was that at?

Would it be at Grimesthorpe ? - on this photo the engine shed siding are off to the right and as you can see Firth Browns on the left.

Guest Rowlinson

Towards the end of steam the Sheffield sheds were as follows;

code 41A Darnall ( Shed still standing I think0

code 41B Grimesthorpe ( closed Sep 1961 -situated at the jct of Newhall Road & Brightside Lane.

code 41C Millhouses ( closed Jan 1962 - still standing -became part of Jacobs Guylee on Archer Road)

code 41D Canklow ( closed 1966? -situated on White Hill Lane Canklow

Guest sheffbusman

Here is a picture of Millhouses engine shed as it stands now, whatever happens to this building, there's alot of work to do!!

Towards the end of steam the Sheffield sheds were as follows;

code 41A Darnall ( Shed still standing I think0

code 41B Grimesthorpe ( closed Sep 1961 -situated at the jct of Newhall Road & Brightside Lane.

code 41C Millhouses ( closed Jan 1962 - still standing -became part of Jacobs Guylee on Archer Road)

code 41D Canklow ( closed 1966? -situated on White Hill Lane Canklow

Darnall was pulled down quite a few years ago and is now a small industrial park. Checked Google Eath the other day and where Darnall shed was was builton on. However, Cravens on the other side of the tracks still had sheds standings. If you go past Cravens these days, it's now being built as provate houses.

Just down the road, the old Nunnery shed (LNER I think) is still standing and can be seen from the road bridge crossing the tracks.

Having read this thread, i am inspired to have a go at modelling Millhouses shed in 4mm, especially as it is the last Sheffield shed left standing, and so many of my favorite steam locos, (the jubilees were shedded there. Does anyone know where I can get a track plan from? Unfortunately I don't live in Sheffield anymore, and a friend has told me the site is now fenced off and is scheduled to be demolised and replaced by flats.

I would like to get to see it before it goes, but unless it is still there in October I may miss this. If anyone can help with pictures and plans I would be grateful.

I have a few books that have a few pictures but they are mainly of locos and trains taken from the Archer Road bridge and don't show much

Having read this thread, i am inspired to have a go at modelling Millhouses shed in 4mm, especially as it is the last Sheffield shed left standing, and so many of my favorite steam locos, (the jubilees were shedded there. Does anyone know where I can get a track plan from? Unfortunately I don't live in Sheffield anymore, and a friend has told me the site is now fenced off and is scheduled to be demolised and replaced by flats.

I would like to get to see it before it goes, but unless it is still there in October I may miss this. If anyone can help with pictures and plans I would be grateful.

I have a few books that have a few pictures but they are mainly of locos and trains taken from the Archer Road bridge and don't show much

Hi Biggles

There is bound to be somebody on this site who will have a better answer, but these 2 books should help

Hi Biggles

There is bound to be somebody on this site who will have a better answer, but these 2 books should help

The Rail Centres Sheffield book has a diagrammatic map of Millhouses MPD (page 92 in my Book Law edition). There is also a plan here on a website which is about a Sheffield area layout for one of the Train Simulator Games. This map appears not to show any buildings.

However, our very own Maps 52 and 53 show most of the depot layout in some detail.

I haveboth of these books and a couple of others, most of the pictures show the front of the shed, and on a rear quarter from the road bridge on archer road. What I really need now are some pictures of the back elevations and the coaling stage, if anyone can help, as I am struggling to get down to sheffield to try and photograph the back of the building.

Thanks for the track plans the rain sim ones are perfect, I could just do with some sort of measurements.

Guest bus man

Sugest you try these sources:

Sheffield Archives on shoreham street

Midland Railway Centre at Butterley

National Railway Musuem York

Guest bus man

MORNING ANORAKS

Get you duffle bags and lyons fruit pies ready

We have a double headed black five charter working Man Vic - Hope Valley - Sheffield Mid Meadowhall - Barnsley - Penistone - Huddersfield - Man Vic tommorow 18th Oct:

1Z29

Man Vic 1115 (RET 1937)

Stocport 1145-48

Chinley E Jn 1213

Hathersage 1231 -3

Dore West Jn 1243

Sheffield Mid 1231 - 1353 -Water (leaves as 1Z30)

Meadowhall 1400

Barnsley 1423

Penistone 1444-7

Stocksmoor 1508-57

Huddersfield 1613

The Hathersage stop is to pick up one passanger the stops at penistone and Stocksmoor are for pathing purposes

This train is a repeat of the train earlier in the year

Locos are 45231 & 45407

I hope that anyone going out for this enjoyes it , however, just a reminder please act responsibly and keep the correct side of the fence , there were problems in the penistone area last time with treaspass and public order remember behaviour like this will result in steam locos been banned ACT RESPONSIBLY

THANK YOU

full times

http://www.uksteam.info/tours/t09/t1018a.htm