Angling equipment

Guest zorro

Picked this up at a car boot this weekend, took me back to when I was a lad and first started fishing, Mordex shot dispenser (nearly full) all metal construction, not sure of age but I had one just like it. Also remember being taken to Bennetts when I was young, couldn't believe how big it was, there was nothing that size in Chesterfield then. Ah, nostalgia, it's not like it used to be! I cannot remember any other fishing equipment that was made in Sheffield, anyone out there got any photos or memories they would like to share?

Also remember being taken to Bennets when I was young, couldn't believe how big it was ...

Where and what was Bennets please, not being a fisherperson (PC madness gone wild, I'm a man, I'm 19 stone. I don't wear makeup and/or fishnets "Joke !!!!" very often, but I suppose Fisherman would be outrageous lol ), I don't know what or where Bennets was/is/may be in some future personifestation ... probably :rolleyes:

Where and what was Bennets please, not being a fisherperson (PC madness gone wild, I'm a man, I'm 19 stone. I don't wear makeup and/or fishnets "Joke !!!!" very often, but I suppose Fisherman would be outrageous lol ), I don't know what or where Bennets was/is/may be in some future personifestation ... probably :rolleyes:

Good evening Richard, nice to hear from you

Bennetts of Sheffield,fishing tackle supliers, 1-5 Stanley Street, established over 50 years, think its now known as BOSFISH by the young people down on the streets (innit?) They used to run a large advert in the Angling Times, the biggest weekly fishing paper at one time, may still be. We would save our money when we were kids (and older) and when we had enough we would come into Sheffield to make our purchases and drool over the tackle we could not afford.

19 stone in fishnets, I'm going to have nightmares :blink::mellow: :o

Of course this raises another question...

Was there a shot tower in Sheffield? If so where.

Was bennets the fishing tackle shop on The Wicker / Nursery Street where the guy permanently smoke cigars?

Of course this raises another question...

Was there a shot tower in Sheffield? If so where.

Was bennets the fishing tackle shop on The Wicker / Nursery Street where the guy permanently smoke cigars?

Now then, never considered how lead shot is made. Would it be dropped in a molten state into water? If so you would need a tower, but how high? Did Mordex make the shot and the dispenser, or just the dispenser and buy the shot in? If they brought the shot in, was it already split or did they do that bit? and then fill the dispenser? If they filled the dispenser did they do it by hand or use a machine? :blink:

19 stone in fishnets and now this! Don't know about nightmares, I don't think I'll even get to sleep now! :(

A little info on Mordex from an angling forum

"Mordex was a Sheffield company (toolmakers/engineers) who made near copy's of other reels designs (much easier to immitate than spend loads of money on R& D) they probably started just making reels for their own workers ,like rolls royce engineers & stanton iron works engineers did ,but obviously successfully that they marketed a few different models"

No mention of shot production.

That reminds me of a time I was in a pub in Croydon and I was talking to a bloke who was a bit merry. When I told him I was from Sheffield he asked me if I had ever been to Bennetts Tackle Shop. When I said no he was a bit taken aback and then told me it was his life's ambition to visit the shop. Takes all sorts!

That reminds me of a time I was in a pub in Croydon and I was talking to a bloke who was a bit merry. When I told him I was from Sheffield he asked me if I had ever been to Bennetts Tackle Shop. When I said no he was a bit taken aback and then told me it was his life's ambition to visit the shop. Takes all sorts!

^^ he hehe he ^^

Yes Dunsby,

I find that most of the maggot drowner's I have met seem to be slightly eccentric.

Note the address in this old 'Bennetts' advert,

can any member on here put a year to it?

^^ he hehe he ^^

Yes Dunsby,

I find that most of the maggot drowner's I have met seem to be slightly eccentric.

Steve, have you ever walked down the canal towards Attercliffe ?

What do you call a collection of anglers ? I'd suggest a MOOD OF ANGLERS - I didn't notice the big sign that states

"Anglers only - no talking" :angry:

^^ he hehe he ^^

Yes Dunsby,

Note the address in this old 'Bennetts' advert,

can any member on here put a year to it?

i remember using bennetts on howard street in the very early 1970's but cant say how long it had been there before 1970.

you could open an account with them and pay for your items over 5 monthly payments,which was handy as i had just got married and the house and missis wanted most of my wages

i remember using bennetts on howard street in the very early 1970's but cant say how long it had been there before 1970.

you could open an account with them and pay for your items over 5 monthly payments,which was handy as i had just got married and the house and missis wanted most of my wages

I can't say when Bennetts moved into the Howard St premises

but the advert is from an Angling Telegraph dated April the 11th 1974.

I can remember two shops prior to the Howard St one,

West Bar on the R/H side near to Corporation St,

the other was at Darnall (bottom of Main Rd/ Handsworth Rd) as I remember.