Where were the following districts of Sheffield please

RichardB

You know me Vox, much, much closer to home than that ... none of that down the hill stuff near Malin Bridge, I mean Crookes - cricket-ball stuff ...

Crookes Mount ... ?

Truelove's Gutter seems to be established as Castle Street but "Forgotten Facts in the History of Sheffield" by Carolus Paulus ~ Published in 1907, says:

---- Broomhill Bridle Road (also known as Truelove's gutter) -----

Ecclesall Inclosures

"Other new roads indicate the localities where inclosure took place, it being necessary to make new roads to give access to the owners of the new allotments - Fulwood Road, Clarkehouse Road, Manchester Turnpike Road, Whirlow Road, Ecclesall Wood Road, Dead Lane, Button Hill Road, Cherrytree Hill Road, Tapton Hill Road, Broomhill Bridle Road (also known as Truelove's gutter), Whiteley Wood Road, Greystones Road, High Storrs Road, Ranmoor Road, Dobbing Hill Road, Little Common Road, Holt House Road, Brincliffe Road and Machon Bank Road."

Hollow Meadows - this one has me beat :( mind you, High Hazels had me bamboozled also !

Hi I don't know where Hollow Meadows is but High Hazels is at Darnall in Sheffield there is also a park there which is named High Hazels park hope this helps a little

Hi I don't know where Hollow Meadows is but High Hazels is at Darnall in Sheffield there is also a park there which is named High Hazels park hope this helps a little

Thank you Atir53 and Welcome to the Site.

As has recently (but truthfully, it has to be said) been stated I can quite happily get lost in Sheffield if I leave the City Centre; I do try mind you

Mine is a real Sheffield History, where postcodes above about S11 don't exist and are part of Derbyshire ...

(there are sensible people on the Site too.)

Thank you Atir53 and Welcome to the Site.

As has recently (but truthfully, it has to be said) been stated I can quite happily get lost in Sheffield if I leave the City Centre; I do try mind you

Mine is a real Sheffield History, where postcodes above about S11 don't exist and are part of Derbyshire ...

(there are sensible people on the Site too.)

When you were born Richard, postcodes as we know them now in the form SN NLL (N= number, L=letter) didn't exist, - they were first introduced in 1968.

However, Sheffield was divided into numbered postal districts starting with S1. By the year of your birth these districts already went up to S14 (Herdings) all of which were considered to be within the City boundary.

It was in 1967 that Sheffield expanded to the south east into Derbyshire which would ultimately lead to much higher postal S-numbers, currently going up to the seventies or eighties.

In any case, High Hazels in Darnall is probably S4 or S9, - below your S11 limit. B)

When you were born Richard, postcodes as we know them now in the form SN NLL (N= number, L=letter) didn't exist, - they were first introduced in 1968.

However, Sheffield was divided into numbered postal districts starting with S1. By the year of your birth these districts already went up to S14 (Herdings) all of which were considered to be within the City boundary.

It was in 1967 that Sheffield expanded to the south east into Derbyshire which would ultimately lead to much higher postal S-numbers, currently going up to the seventies or eighties.

In any case, High Hazels in Darnall is probably S4 or S9, - below your S11 limit. B)

I'll retreat to "S" then. no numbers, just "S", Campo Lane to Alsop Fields, Waingate to Barkerpool ,,, if I may.

I'll retreat to "S" then. no numbers, just "S", Campo Lane to Alsop Fields, Waingate to Barkerpool ,,, if I may.

I think S3 is split into 2 detached parts by S1

I think S3 is split into 2 detached parts by S1

Just 18b, High Street ? (Lower Floor only, 1882-May 1884 (June, late in the afternoon, Thursdays only)) - is that available

Just 18b, High Street ? (Lower Floor only, 1882-May 1884 (June, late in the afternoon, Thursdays only)) - is that available

No, - I am sure I have seen on a 1960's coloured Sheffield map (the ones that show the parks in green and main roads in yellow) the "S- Districts" were marked out with a red outline and I am sure there were 2 distict bits to S3.

If I can still find an old map with this on I will scan (I know a man who can scan just about anything ;-) ) and post the relevent S3 bits.

Guest jonceebee

Millsands and Bridgehouses

Bridgehouses was around the crossroads of Corporation and Nursury Street heading upwards towards Pitsmoor. There was a railway goods yard situated there just west of Victoria Station. It was surounded by streets of terraced houses, but it has all been swept away. I have a few books showing the former Bridgehouses Station and Goods Yards. I recall it being a busy railway location up and until around 1962

Churchill Avenue/Steelway.

A variation on the normal content.

In 1944 there was a suggestion that a major thoroughfare in Sheffield should be renamed Churchill Avenue or Steelway when it was rebuilt; this renaming didn't happen, but where is/was the thoroughfare ?

(Shouldn't be too difficult).

Churchill Avenue/Steelway.

A variation on the normal content.

In 1944 there was a suggestion that a major thoroughfare in Sheffield should be renamed Churchill Avenue or Steelway when it was rebuilt; this renaming didn't happen, but where is/was the thoroughfare ?

(Shouldn't be too difficult).

As a gut reaction stab in the dark I'd say The Moor

Little Sheffield area ...

Flash Earth

There is also a Fentonville Street. (Just off your map to the S.W.) Between Sharrow Lane and Mackenzie Street.

I lived for a while in a bedsit on Club Garden Road. 1970's I think

Stanton Broom

Few folks living here, may be an "offshoot" of a main road rather than a district (still hadn't heard of it). 1840's

The Edge

Home of Thomas Rawson Barker, White lead &c. manufacturer (1849).

I'm none the wiser either

Fox town

John Blythe, Mason, Fox town, XXXXXXXXX

Fox town written as found; the number of X's does not represent the number of letters, 1849. A well-known district of old Sheffield.

The Edge

Home of Thomas Rawson Barker, White lead &c. manufacturer (1849).

I'm none the wiser either

White lead was used in paint.

The Edge - I can't find any mention but I think it was the Endcliffe area.

(Nether Edge, Brincliffe Edge) ??

Fox town

John Blythe, Mason, Fox town, XXXXXXXXX

Fox town written as found; the number of X's does not represent the number of letters, 1849. A well-known district of old Sheffield.

Pitsmoor

Whites 1837

White lead was used in paint.

Doesn't sound overly healthy Vox. Just the norm for the day, I suppose.

Pitsmoor

Whites 1837

Well found; I'd never come across it mentioned elsewhere (unless I'd forgotten which is a possibility.

Stanton Broom

Few folks living here, may be an "offshoot" of a main road rather than a district (still hadn't heard of it). 1840's

Mrs Sarah Carlton , Stanton Broom, Glossop Road

Sheffield Directory, 1852