Where were the following districts of Sheffield please

RichardB

There was an incendiary explosion at the home of J. Fisher, scythe maker, of Pinglehead 1st April 1854.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Not an April Fools - where was Pinglehead ???

I thought Pinglehead was Fishers Father lol.

What I would like to know as a Walkley lad is how come the historical perception of the Racker way differs amongst the locals. In my life there are three contenders 1) Top of Watersmeet Rd through the woods onto Rivelin Valley 2) Bottom of Fern Rd to along Walkley Bank to bottom of Hollins lane and 3) Pathway from bottom of Rivelin Street to junction with Rangeley Road.

I thought Pinglehead was Fishers Father lol.

What I would like to know as a Walkley lad is how come the historical perception of the Racker way differs amongst the locals. In my life there are three contenders 1) Top of Watersmeet Rd through the woods onto Rivelin Valley 2) Bottom of Fern Rd to along Walkley Bank to bottom of Hollins lane and 3) Pathway from bottom of Rivelin Street to junction with Rangeley Road.

Map request please.

I'd vote for top of Watersmeet, but, its been a lot of years. Doesn't Rangeley Road take you down Waller Road/Street ? (which is near vertical !)

Can't place Fern Road, I'm hoping that's the least steep pathway.

I have no idea about this one, any help appreciated.

Valentine Green (1650's)

The bit I read (now long lost in my brain) definately said it was a place, not a person.

Map request please.

I'd vote for top of Watersmeet, but, its been a lot of years. Doesn't Rangeley Road take you down Waller Road/Street ? (which is near vertical !)

Despite the council naming the short road from Rivelin Bank down to Rivelin Valley Road, Racker Way, I have always understood that the Racker Way ran along the present Rivelin Street down to the bridge at Rivelin Corn Mill and back up the present course of Hollins Lane.

HD

I have no idea about this one, any help appreciated.

Valentine Green (1650's)

The bit I read (now long lost in my brain) definately said it was a place, not a person.

VALENTINE GREEN. — I am anxious to find out who were the parents and grandparents of Valentine Green the ... There was a Valentine Green in Sheffield in 1687. Is it probable he was grandfather of the artist ?

Map request please.

Previous discussion

Millsands and Bridgehouses

Yeah refered to as two distinct places, I used to visit the area with my Nan who died in 1963 aged 86 (give the info to confirm her yob as 1877). My Prosthetic manufacturer Ellison & Paremore were based on Spring Street.

My Nan would say "take the shortcut" from Snigg Hill "Through Millsands and Brigdgehouses". However, more latterly sure I can recall a firm in the area called Bridgehouses Car Parks.

Bridgehouses Car Park though was at the bottom of Rock street and was the site of a recent murder....Bridgehouse in this instance Surname or Area ?

Complete blank with Mouse Croft I'm afraid.

Could could be House Croft, the 'M' is a common mistake from what I have seen while searching.

Came across lots of Mouses and people who lived in a named mouse ..

Map request please.

Fern Rd.....Junction Providence Rd and Thrush St to Walkley Bank, remained unadopted up until mid 60's when a few cottages on the left going down were joined by some modern maisonettes on the opposite side. Since then building has gone on at a pace, the Road was adopted in the early 60's and now new properties are squeezed in anywhere.

Despite the council naming the short road from Rivelin Bank down to Rivelin Valley Road, Racker Way, I have always understood that the Racker Way ran along the present Rivelin Street down to the bridge at Rivelin Corn Mill and back up the present course of Hollins Lane.

HD

That makes great sense because that was the old pack horse route.

So would it be somewhere around Mousehole Forge then ?

You know me Vox, much, much closer to home than that ... none of that down the hill stuff near Malin Bridge, I mean Crookes - cricket-ball stuff ...