Where were the following districts of Sheffield please

RichardB

Two Days Work/Nether Dole

May 1741, Conyeyance of a close formerly called Two Days Work and now called Nether Dole.

Not central, but a well known suburb.

Two Days Work/Nether Dole

May 1741, Conyeyance of a close formerly called Two Days Work and now called Nether Dole.

Not central, but a well known suburb.

Heeley but exactly where I don't know

Heeley is about as much as I know. Let's see if anyone can narrow down the location.

Source

"John Brownell of Heeley, Sheffield in the parish of Sheffield, scythesmith, (brother and heir of Henry Brownell, scythesmith, deceased) to Henry Brownell his youngest son. A close in Heeley, Sheffield formerly called the Two days work and now Nether Dole, with a wood adjoining, for 10/-d"

There was a small wood near Heeley Common called Brownell's Plantation so perhaps the Nether Dole field is the one adjacent to that (15 - 3.390 acres). It was there on the 1850s map too but not shown very clearly on my copy.

When I was a kid I used to wonder where Duplicate was, there were always a lot of buses and trams going there, especially at tea time.

When I was a kid I used to wonder where Duplicate was, there were always a lot of buses and trams going there, especially at tea time.

I like that one Bayleaf , he he

Always though that was a bit daft. Unless you knew what the destination of the previous tram/bus was how could you guess the 'duplicate' destination ?

Maugherhay (Magathey) anybody ?

Mentioned in Whites 1852 - Somewhere near Norton

Funny you should word it like that.

My 4x Great grandfather, Jonathan Higginbottom, lived at Maugerhay

Interestingly it appears on census records and the IGI as "Margathey" rather than Maugerhay, possibly because the enumerator wrote down what the locals said to him, an insight into the regional dialect perhaps.

Of course it was Stuart that sorted out for me that "Margathey" was in fact Maugherhay.

The lane is quite definately still there as shown by these photos, however none of the original cottages seem to be and it is now a private lane, firmly gated off at the bottom end.

The lane is quite definately still there as shown by these photos, however none of the original cottages seem to be and it is now a private lane, firmly gated off at the bottom end.

So - another for the Un-adopted Roads then ?

So - another for the Un-adopted Roads then ?

Looks like it, although not very well maintained it is a private road but does have a council roadsign with S8 Sheffield designation, - although in my ancestors time this would have been in Derbyshire.

I think the original road and its associated cottages and area would have been part of the Oakes Park / Bagshaw estate.

Looks like it, although not very well maintained it is a private road but does have a council roadsign with S8 Sheffield designation, - although in my ancestors time this would have been in Derbyshire.

I think the original road and its associated cottages and area would have been part of the Oakes Park / Bagshaw estate.

There was once an Inn at Maugerhay ..

At Maugerhay is a free school, situate a little to the S.E. of Norton, where about 80 children are now educated.

Formerly here was an inn and bowling green, much frequented

by pleasure parties from Sheffield; but it is now a private residence.

Near this to the S.E. is The Oaks, a handsome mansion situate in a fine park,

the seat and property of William John Bagshawe. Esq.

Maugerhay.

Charles James Fox, schoolmaster, (Endowed Public School)

Henry Fox, shopkeeper.

Reuben Rodgers, shoemaker.

Kelly's 1854.

Port Mahon

Something to do with the celebration of the British re-taking the port in Menorca

Situated around the bottom of St Phillips, area.

Thank you Steve , I'll be able to sleep tonight now. lol;-)

I forgot to mention the other Forge Lane near Moorfoot that is shown in the same Topic link above,

all depends on what year .

I forgot to mention the other Forge Lane near Moorfoot that is shown in the same Topic link above,

all depends on what year .

Oh dear, back to the drawing board. :mellow: