Where were the following districts of Sheffield please

RichardB

Has anyone heard of Norris Fields and was it around Bower Street area?

Wasn't Norris Fields in Goodbye Mr Chips ?

Sensible answer ...

George Eccles, old bookseller, Bower Street, Norris Field (White's 1833) + lots of Davy Bros. in 184.

(Can't remember where either are/were !)

George Hodgson, Bone merchants, Struggler's grinding wheel, Norris Field (Pigot's 1828-9)

Canning Tavern, 2 Bower Street, Joseph Shirt (1828) - does anyone else navigate by Pubs ??

Canning Tavern, 2 Bower Street, Joseph Shirt (1828) - does anyone else navigate by Pubs ??

You've hit the nail right on the head. This is why I asked the question, I had this pub on my

list with just the address of Norris Fields.

Well that solves that one then ;-)

I've got a Bridge Inn of 1879 , address is Curbar

Any ideas anyone?

1881 Census Derbyshire.

BRIDGE INN

HALLAM : William : Head : W : 69 : Publican & Carpenter : DBY : Curbar

SIADALL : Ellen : Sister in Law : W : 72 : Housekeeper : DBY : Curbar

HALLAM : Henry : Grandson : 11 : Scholar : DBY : Curbar

KAY : John : Lodger : W : 69 : Farm Labourer : DBY : Barlow

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Curbar/Census81-1.html

1881 Census Derbyshire.

BRIDGE INN

HALLAM : William : Head : W : 69 : Publican & Carpenter : DBY : Curbar

SIADALL : Ellen : Sister in Law : W : 72 : Housekeeper : DBY : Curbar

HALLAM : Henry : Grandson : 11 : Scholar : DBY : Curbar

KAY : John : Lodger : W : 69 : Farm Labourer : DBY : Barlow

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Curbar/Census81-1.html

Bridge Inn, Curbar was kept by James Broughton and then by his wife from before WW2 until about 1960 and then by Jim Huxley for a number of years into the nineteen nineties.

source; my family members living in Curbar.

hilldweller

Bridge Inn, Curbar.

<iframe width="562" height="314" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&amp;q=curbar+derbyshire&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Curbar,+Calver,+Hope+Valley,+Derbyshire,+United+Kingdom&amp;gl=uk&amp;ei=jySBTPj6IovA4gbjmdzTCw&amp;ved=0CBoQ8gEwAA&amp;ll=53.267632,-1.624226&amp;spn=0,0.003396&amp;t=h&amp;z=14&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=53.26633,-1.630791&amp;panoid=wp9SXnO2z2VRX6nPQ9mJjA&amp;cbp=13,242.88,,0,-1.45&amp;output=svembed"></iframe><br /><small><a id="cbembedlink" href="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&amp;q=curbar+derbyshire&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Curbar,+Calver,+Hope+Valley,+Derbyshire,+United+Kingdom&amp;gl=uk&amp;ei=jySBTPj6IovA4gbjmdzTCw&amp;ved=0CBoQ8gEwAA&amp;ll=53.267632,-1.624226&amp;spn=0,0.003396&amp;t=h&amp;z=14&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=53.26633,-1.630791&amp;panoid=wp9SXnO2z2VRX6nPQ9mJjA&amp;cbp=12,242.88,,0,-1.45&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Bridge Inn, Curbar.

<iframe width="562" height="314" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&amp;q=curbar+derbyshire&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Curbar,+Calver,+Hope+Valley,+Derbyshire,+United+Kingdom&amp;gl=uk&amp;ei=jySBTPj6IovA4gbjmdzTCw&amp;ved=0CBoQ8gEwAA&amp;ll=53.267632,-1.624226&amp;spn=0,0.003396&amp;t=h&amp;z=14&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=53.26633,-1.630791&amp;panoid=wp9SXnO2z2VRX6nPQ9mJjA&amp;cbp=13,242.88,,0,-1.45&amp;output=svembed"></iframe><br /><small><a id="cbembedlink" href="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&amp;q=curbar+derbyshire&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Curbar,+Calver,+Hope+Valley,+Derbyshire,+United+Kingdom&amp;gl=uk&amp;ei=jySBTPj6IovA4gbjmdzTCw&amp;ved=0CBoQ8gEwAA&amp;ll=53.267632,-1.624226&amp;spn=0,0.003396&amp;t=h&amp;z=14&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=53.26633,-1.630791&amp;panoid=wp9SXnO2z2VRX6nPQ9mJjA&amp;cbp=12,242.88,,0,-1.45&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

It looks a nice place, I take it it's Derbyshire then.

Does any one know where Leader Hall Market was ?

I couldn't post this on the " Where are these districts " because it wouldn't let me. Every

time I tried , the Google picture of the last post [ Bridge Inn , Curbar ] kept popping up and

following me around , it's like a magnet. :o

It looks a nice place, I take it it's Derbyshire then.

The pub is on the banks of the Derbyshire Derwent on the boundary between Calver and Curbar which village is up the hill toward Curbar Edge. The main road from Calver to Baslow used to pass in front of the pub with a narrow bridge to the right of the pup. Since the early 1970's the road passes to the rear of the pub over a modern concrete bridge.

Curbar is a rather "posh" hill village with pretty gritstone cottages and large detached houses with a curious arrangement of troughs/wells, a circular one for animals and a trough with a canopy over one end for humans. Nice place if you can afford it.

hilldweller

Not a district, a yard !

Parrot Yard, any ideas ? (1830's-40's)

1822, 110 Sheffield Moor.

1837, Coalpit Lane (Cambridge Street)

Just to confuse things ..

1822, William Hirst Parrot, South Street.

1822, 110 Sheffield Moor.

1837, Coalpit Lane (Cambridge Street)

Just to confuse things ..

1822, William Hirst Parrot, South Street.

Thomas Bower, Parrot Yard, Coalpit Lane (White's 1833)

Thomas Pritchard, 110 Carver Street; home Parrot Yard (White's 1849)

Thoughts welcomed ... I think it's running between Coalpit Lane and Carver Street.

Another yard to locate; I can't picture the location myself and I know the answer !!!

Moderators, please PM me your answer; I know you can find 'em, just setting a poser for people.

Onion's Yard (1820's)

Tim's Yard/Timm's Yard

I've got two "Street" names for this one (1830's) but basically the same place.

"Street" written in that way is meant to be something of a clue ... a visitor to Sheffield these days would consider this to be very central indeed, not quite a cricket ball throw from the Parish Church but ... even I could walk from the Church to here in under 3 minutes (make that an hour if the wife is on my arm ...)

Moderators please PM answers.

I don't have and answer to this one (or indeed a clue) therefore, I'm providing all the information I know.

Ralph Brown, Gardener, Strawberry Hall, Hop Yard (White's 1833)

Could be outlying/Rotherham/The Moon for all I know.

Open to all, since I don't know the answer.