Where were the following districts of Sheffield please

RichardB

Trade Directory entry

1834, MARSDEN, Jno., YKS, Sheffield, Axletree maker, Norris Field

Axletree maker ?

Thomas Marsden, Whitesmith & axle tree maker, Norris Field (White's 1833)

Edwin Marsden, Engineer, millwright and patent axletree, railway spring &c. manufacturer, Pilot Works, Norrisfield (White's 1849 & 1852)

Not one of these then.

:)

I think your explanation is a lot better than mine although I'd hate to be around at autumn-time when they start falling off. If one of those had fallen on Isaac Newton, we wouldn't have known about gravity for years.

HD

I think your explanation is a lot better than mine although I'd hate to be around at autumn-time when they start falling off. If one of those had fallen on Isaac Newton, we wouldn't have known about gravity for years.

HD

he he

Where was Smith Street please ? Quite central - nothing to do with Smith Street, Park.

What replaced it ?

Where was Smith Street please ? Quite central - nothing to do with Smith Street, Park.

What replaced it ?

What year? - Smith Street, Darnall, S9,

was next to Coleford Rd, + marks the spot

Flash Earth

What year? - Smith Street, Darnall, S9,

was next to Coleford Rd, + marks the spot

Flash Earth

Pre-1852; let's make that very central - would have passed the Parish Church Cricket Ball test if it wasn't for the houses inbetween.

None of yer S9 malarky :rolleyes:

Pre-1852; let's make that very central - would have passed the Parish Church Cricket Ball test if it wasn't for the houses inbetween.

None of yer S9 malarky :rolleyes:

I'm looking at it now on a 1832 map.

Never heard of this one myself - "Cold Bath" 1771, it's magnifying glass time Folks ! (Central, as indeed it would be in 1771)

Never heard of this one myself - "Cold Bath" 1771, it's magnifying glass time Folks ! (Central, as indeed it would be in 1771)

Pond Street ?

I think I read something about "water changed frequently"

Can't remember where though.

HD

Pond Street ?

I think I read something about "water changed frequently"

Can't remember where though.

HD

Nice work; appears to be about where the Leadmill was.

Nice work; appears to be about where the Leadmill was.

If you locate St. Pauls church on the map and follow the new road running down in a south east direction, this is Howard Street. The baths is located to the north of this and I reckon about where the Sheffield Hallam University library building is located on the hillside of Pond Street. It must have been fed from a spring from the hillside.

Incidently when the University bridge between the Harmer and Sheaf buildings was being built one of the bridge support piles was being excavated when a vertical shaft about 4 feet diameter was discovered. When it was explored briefly, a heading led off it, and fresh air came out of it.

At the time I worked there and could see right down into it from the upper floors of the 5 story building.

It was supposed to be an old mine-shaft for the Duke of Norfolks mines, or a well for Rawson's Brewery that used to stand there.

HD

Further to above I've had my Helix dividers and rule & calculator out and I reckon that if the old map is correct the "Cold Baths" would actually have been located almost exactly opposite Harmer Lane about where the 8 story block is located.

HD

Not a district, a house - after Pickle, Salmon Pastures and the Beet family of publicans ...

Sausage House (1830's) ...

(Passes the cricket ball test i.e. you could throw a cricket ball at it from the Cathedral)

Parkwood Springs is the area close to the (bottom end of) the Ski Village (Douglas Road/Vale Road/Mount Road, etc). Used to be a thriving and popular housing area, but demolished in the 1960s and 70s as I recall. Had good access to the old Neepsend Station via footbridge over railway.

Cheers Paul, Thank you and welcome to the site.

We've found lots of places and even managed to name residents for many districts in this thread.

If you close your eyes, cross your fingers and wish really, really hard - some strange internet-beings that we call "Link Fairies" (though most are hairy-eared, baldy old blokes !) seem to plonk links to specific information that you have asked about or commented on.

I've no idea how it works, but, I'm sure a SheffieldHistory-belief and possibly late night alcohol and rubbish TV play a part.

Our latest "District" question is actually an 1830's house - "Sausage House" - it was on .... well, that would be telling, but I do like to find 'em real close to the centre of the old town - this one is a cracker !

Not a district, a house - after Pickle, Salmon Pastures and the Beet family of publicans ...

Sausage House (1830's) ...

(Passes the cricket ball test i.e. you could throw a cricket ball at it from the Cathedral)

The building(s) suffered blitz damage ..

The building(s) suffered blitz damage ..

A blitzed sausage, now there's a thought ...

A blitzed sausage, now there's a thought ...

Better known as Bangers ...

Were the buildings completely Mashed ? :)

Cheers Paul, Thank you and welcome to the site.

We've found lots of places and even managed to name residents for many districts in this thread.

If you close your eyes, cross your fingers and wish really, really hard - some strange internet-beings that we call "Link Fairies" (though most are hairy-eared, baldy old blokes !) seem to plonk links to specific information that you have asked about or commented on.

I've no idea how it works, but, I'm sure a SheffieldHistory-belief and possibly late night alcohol and rubbish TV play a part.

Our latest "District" question is actually an 1830's house - "Sausage House" - it was on .... well, that would be telling, but I do like to find 'em real close to the centre of the old town - this one is a cracker !

I have found a Picture of it !!

SORRY.( slowly backs out of the room )

Ha ha ha .. I like that one syrup.

Number 10

Looks as if it was or came very close to being, burnt to a crozzle .. picturesheffield

Now the Haifax Bank.

OS map #4

Don't people do some strange stuff he says adjusting his slingbacks and slipping into his weekend only Taffeta ballgown.

I like that joke as well syrup he hehe helol

Better than Richard's one about the half a coconut! ;-)

Ha ha ha .. I like that one syrup.

Number 10

Looks as if it was or came very close to being, burnt to a crozzle .. picturesheffield

Now the Haifax Bank.

OS map #4

Love that early One Way Street Sign on The Picture Sheffield Link.

I'm probably not expecting an answer to this one; I don't have the answer to this one; just found it in 1805-1807 listing.

Watson and Co., Silver and plated manufacturer's, Mulbing Street.

The listing is quite clear (considering its age), it does read Mulbing; initial thought was Mulberry but not enough letters.

Could just be an error, but that is what it says, any thoughts please ?

All 1821

Deep-pit

Lone Street (could be Love Street transcribed badly but it definately says Lone Street)

Hannington, Ecclesfield