Where were the following districts of Sheffield please

RichardB

Brook's open - 20, Nursery street ?

Flockton's Row - Rockingham Street - William Flockton was a Sheffield architect.

Clay Hole - Bridgehouses

Norris Fields - Bridgehouses - Fields belonging to one time Master Cutler Samuel Norris (1777)

I think there's a White Croft as opposed to Whitecroft next road to Hollis Croft ???

Willey street is still there - The Wicker - through the arches towards town on the left.

Guest Gramps

Tilt Yard is now under the Hallam Uni Student Union building.

Creswick Walk was an alleyway off Pond Hill possibly down the side of the Old Queen's Head pub.

Dyer's Hill and Dyer's Bridge were at the bottom of Pond Hill. They disappeared when the Midland station was built and the new Sheaf street was put through - about 1867.

Reaney's Yard does not appear off Pond street on the 1850 map, although there are several other named 'yards' that do.

Not sure if you really want to know the location of these places or if you're just running another quiz based on info that you have and others are unlikely to have. :unsure:

These are lost Streets from the early 1820's and, no, in general, I don't know where most of 'em were either. Hopefully someone can provide the answers.

To clarify, these are places from 1821 that I don't know of; they may be immeditely obvious to someone else (hopefully).

(I'll post a few at a time so we don't have replies which repeat an enormous listing.)

Tilt Yard, Pond Street (so, it's on Pond Street, any more information ?)

I've found it as No. 50 Pond Street which "looking at the numbering on other Streets going in the same direction from the center", should make it on the right hand side going towards Howard Street. The only numbers shown on the stretch behind the post office building are 37-9 (next door to the GPO Garage)

Deduction

Very possibly, number 50, was on the right, near the junction with Flat St/Pond Hill

At least you can be reasonably sure which side of the road it was on, and that it probably wasn't much further along than Pond Hill.

Footnote

All that and I've just seen Gramps more difinitive location. Which doesn't seem to be where I thought. Ah well - I enjoyed the task.

Not sure if you really want to know the location of these places or if you're just running another quiz based on info that you have and others are unlikely to have. :unsure:

The majority of these I don't know where they were, just reading 1821 directory and thought I'd put them out there, see if they cause any interest/discussion.

If anyone knows any put up the details and we will all know a bit more; if there are people connected (this is how I found a publican for the Leg of Mutton - but I had a long read first, on paper no less, none of this scrolling up and down, a printout, rare enough in these days, oh, and using a notebook made of paper and a freshly sharpened pencil too ! Made for a very enjoyable evening.

So, in conclusion, I won't be coming up with any wonderful answers and I've learnt something from the replies. Investigate the place names as much or as little as you all wish - my ami was to provide the names and see what happens.

Guest Gramps

The majority of these I don't know where they were, just reading 1821 directory and thought I'd put them out there, see if they cause any interest/discussion.

What puzzles me is -

"Shepley's Yard (I got a district for this)

Davy's Yard (I got a district for this)"

If you have a 'district' for the location why not divulge it ? It would save people who might have more info having to look for a needle in a haystack.

What puzzles me is -

"Shepley's Yard (I got a district for this)

Davy's Yard (I got a district for this)"

If you have a 'district' for the location why not divulge it ? It would save people who might have more info having to look for a needle in a haystack.

In trying to make something appeal to different levels of knowledge, experience and indeed interest I choose to omit a known district (showing incidentally that I only know, for example that a particular Yard was in, say Park; not a very exact find).

I can always reveal the district, on request (after those that like to scratch their heads a bit have "had a go".

Some have already been easily discovered; I await the answer to Shales Square because that isn't where I thought it would be. If you've any relevant further information about Shales Square then

1) You'e a better man than me, Gungadin

2) You don't need any clues from me

Shepley's Yard, Park

Davy's Yard, Bridgehouses BTW

Not much help when you come to seven New Streets

"Any chance you could give us the district for Shepleys Yard please Richard or at least a clue ? ..."

Twp pages of Posts and 7,100+ views, must be doing something right ...

These are lost Streets from the early 1820's and, no, in general, I don't know where most of 'em were either. Hopefully someone can provide the answers.

To clarify, these are places from 1821 that I don't know of; they may be immediately obvious to someone else (hopefully).

(I'll post a few at a time so we don't have replies which repeat an enormous listing; we're now posting the answers along with the questions ! lol .)

Copley's Yard, Castle Hill

Parkin's Yard, Jehu Lane

Badger's Yard, Pond Street

Cam Lane, Norfolk Street

Bongreave

Wiggin Wells

Cloth Houses

Far Corner

New Street, Park (has to have been renamed)

Barrel Yard, Pond Street

To clarify, these are places from 1821 that I don't know of; they may be immediately obvious to someone else (hopefully).

(I'll post a few at a time so we don't have replies which repeat an enormous listing.)

Marple's Row

Sykes's Yard, Pinstone Street

Alsop's Row [Note : not Alsop's Field]

New Street, Nursery

Beatson's Yard, Pond Street

Sylvester's Wheel

Andrew's Street, Wicker

Kellen Cottage

Isle [bridgehouses; really just an excuse for someone to post a map]

Marsden's Yard

These are the full details as I have them; the bits in square brackets I have added.

Beaver's Yard

Wheatcroft Square, Chapel Street

Plant's Yard, Highfield

Rodger's Court, Highfield

Bacon's Yard, Nursery

Champion Court, Carver StreetHufton's Yard, Bailey Street

Longcroft

That's the lot; you'll not find me doing that exercise again.

Delph hole

Thomas Warrington Mason Delph Hole White's 1852

Reuben Thornton Delph Hole White's 1852

Guest plain talker

Flockton's Row - Rockingham Street - William Flockton was a Sheffield architect.

interestingly enough there's a late seventies-built block of flats on Division Street, just beyond Rockingham St, called Flockton Court.

Wiggin Wells

John Simpson seedsman and florist 60 West Bar; h. Wiggin Wells, Highfield White's 1833

Francis Sykes gent. Wiggin Wells House, Highfield White's 1833

Well Meadow

Clay Hole

Is this Well Meadow Street or just Well Meadow.

I've got a Clay Hole Yard on my 1851 map that puts it at the back of Oborne Street.

Have you heard of these?

Riche Belle Place---- Gray Street

High Hill Terrace Gray Street

Burdkins Yard off Verdon Street

And this one's a cracker but I don't know where it is....yet Trueloves gutter. he he

Have you heard of these?

Riche Belle Place---- Gray Street

High Hill Terrace Gray Street

Burdkins Yard off Verdon Street

And this one's a cracker but I don't know where it is....yet Trueloves gutter. he he

Was Trueloves Gutter the present Castle St

Guest Gramps

Riche Belle Place---- Gray Street and High Hill Terrace Gray Street can be seen o this map (1850).

Guest tom_2015

Hi,

I don't live in Sheffield and don't know the area well to be honest so I might sound like an idiot writing this - my apologies!

I had an ancestor living on Fitzalan Street in Sheffield on the 1911 census. I've search Fitzalan Street on modern maps and even looked on some old ones but cannot locate it anywhere. I know there is a Fitzalan Square but does anyone know if there are residential places round it or it is just shops, etc.? I searched on Google and there was an address for two pubs on Fitzalan Street called The Fitzalan Inn and The Fitzalan Tavern. They were approx up to number 150 so it's hardly a small street. My ancestor lived at number 96 so I'm assuming it's somewhere other than Fitzalan Square and may have since changed its name or has been knocked down and no longer exists.

Any help would be great!

Thanks,

Tom

Hi,

I don't live in Sheffield and don't know the area well to be honest so I might sound like an idiot writing this - my apologies!

I had an ancestor living on Fitzalan Street in Sheffield on the 1911 census. I've search Fitzalan Street on modern maps and even looked on some old ones but cannot locate it anywhere. I know there is a Fitzalan Square but does anyone know if there are residential places round it or it is just shops, etc.? I searched on Google and there was an address for two pubs on Fitzalan Street called The Fitzalan Inn and The Fitzalan Tavern. They were approx up to number 150 so it's hardly a small street. My ancestor lived at number 96 so I'm assuming it's somewhere other than Fitzalan Square and may have since changed its name or has been knocked down and no longer exists.

Any help would be great!

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom

Fitzalan Square and Fitzalan Street have nothing to link them (other that sharing a name).

Fitzalan Square is very central and housed the Main Post Office for many, many years, it's just below High Street.

Fitzalan Street (no more) was out near Rock Street, Denholme Street, Marcus Drive. Hopefully this (1950's) map will make it's location clearer.

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...art=#entry22435

Hollow Meadows was part of the Middlewood hospital complex and had various uses over the years. In the Sheffield Archive there are records of patients from 28.04.1924 to 12.05.1976 under ref NHS3/6/2.

Please see attached some photos I took recently looking down onto the site which is now converted into very nice flats. Happy for anyone to use them, I took them as one of my father in laws rellies was in there in the 1940/50's and I added to my family tree photo archive.

Enjoy !

Two fields Near Jeoffrey Croft and Far Jeoffrey Croft, where were they ? what did they become.

(Part of Old Sheffield Town, not some outlying district, mater of fact remarkably central)

one of my father in laws rellies was in there in the 1940/50's and I added to my family tree photo archive.
Does he remember anything about the 220th Scout group that was there? The original group was there from 1936 to 1942, then again 1947 to 1948. The neckerchief was Scout Green with Scarlet Border.