Where were the following districts of Sheffield please

RichardB

Upper and Lower Canada

Hoping for help here, I can't quite put my finger on these and I supposedly know the answer !

Guest plain talker

Upper and Lower Canada

Hoping for help here, I can't quite put my finger on these and I supposedly know the answer !

Now, I'm not sure that I'm completely right, because of the "upper" and "lower" bit, which is throwing me a little.

However, my late grandpa grew up in an area of Netherthorpe/ surroundings called "The Canada", which was somewhere above Summer Street, (which was where my Grandma was from.) so I'd say about Summer Street-cum-Mushroom Lane area, sort of nearing the road by Crookes Valley Park.

You're as close as I can get

"flat land below the site of the old dams"

-----------------------------------------------

Well done, we await further details ...

Guest plain talker

Just looking at the second map, the one of Crookes Valley Road area, and found something very interesting.

My ex husband's mother lives in the little "Water Board cottages" near the top of Oxford street, and her house number is in the five-hundred- and-odds (well, five-hundred and EVENS actually, hehe) but according to that map, at the time of that one being drawn, the numbering was only in the "two-hundred and-odds". How strange!

Just looking at the second map, the one of Crookes Valley Road area, and found something very interesting.

My ex husband's mother lives in the little "Water Board cottages" near the top of Oxford street, and her house number is in the five-hundred- and-odds (well, five-hundred and EVENS actually, hehe) but according to that map, at the time of that one being drawn, the numbering was only in the "two-hundred and-odds". How strange!

:blink:

Canada Road East discovered !

Canada Road has been located hiding off the lower part of Mushroom Lane, basically pretty much the end of Powell Street continued across Mushroom Lane.

Apologies about the map, its from 1903 and shows the location ... just ... if you squint ...

Indeed, Canada Road East became Blythe Street, before the whole lot was pulled down. Compare the OS map and this map fragment from 1903.

Canada_Road_East.bmp

These are lost Streets from the early 1820's and, no, in general, I don't know where most of 'em were either. Hopefully someone can provide the answers.

To clarify, these are places from 1821 that I don't know of; they may be immediately obvious to someone else (hopefully).

(I'll post a few at a time so we don't have replies which repeat an enormous listing.)

Sargant's Row

Goal Street

White Rails

Delph Yard

Sheldon's Row

Wards Square

Nell's Yard

Clayton Row

Warburton Square/Place

Nelson's Row

Ashmore Yard

These are lost Streets from the early 1820's and, no, in general, I don't know where most of 'em were either. Hopefully someone can provide the answers.

To clarify, these are places from 1821 that I don't know of; they may be immediately obvious to someone else (hopefully).

(I'll post a few at a time so we don't have replies which repeat an enormous listing.)

Blagden's Yard

Lowfold

Champion's Yard

Green Square

Newfield

Crown Alley

Cliffefield

Backfields (mentioned elsewhere on this site; I'm trying to cater for newcomers as well as the experts)

Crook's Croft

Sheldon's Yard

Lowfields

Dyer's Yard

Far Corner (I like this one; this one I have an answer to.)

Park kilns

Delph hole

Green's Square

West grove

Springwood

Ashmore's Yard

White house

To clarify, these are places from 1821 that I don't know of; they may be immeditely obvious to someone else (hopefully).

Old brick yard/Old brick croft

Old Park mill

Spittal bottom

Spring Gardens

Fanshaw's Yard

Longcroft

Westfield

Philadelphia Place

Dyer's Opening

Jowett's Yard

Jessop Street (should be easy)

White Bear Walk (easy)

Crook Croft

Black Lamb Lane (mentioned elsewhere on this Site)

Shemeld Croft

Club Row

Pondwell Street

Wheatcroft Square

Cornhill

New Street, Little Sheffield (should be fun; lots of New Streets)

Guest plain talker

To clarify, these are places from 1821 that I don't know of; they may be immeditely obvious to someone else (hopefully).

Jessop Street (should be easy)

White Bear Walk (easy)

Crook Croft

Black Lamb Lane (mentioned elsewhere on this Site)

Shemeld Croft

Club Row

Pondwell Street

Wheatcroft Square

Cornhill

New Street, Little Sheffield (should be fun; lots of New Streets)

Cornhill was roughly in the area of the four refurbished high rise flats at Netherthorpe, in the shadow of the University Arts Tower. The name is still preserved in the name of one the high rise blocks, Cornhill, the others being named Adamfield, Robertshaw and Crawshaw

Brook's Open

Lilley Row/Lilley's Row

Well Meadow

Shales Square (I've got the Quiz Show buzzer to hand for this one !)

Whitecroft

Willey Street

Bridgehill

Flockton's Row (and who was Flockton ?)

Clay Hole

Norris Fields

Guest plain talker

Sargant's Row

Goal Street

White Rails

Deplh Yard

Sheldon's Row

Ward's Square

Nell's Yard

Clayton Row

Warburton Square and Warburton Place

Nelson's Road

Ashmore Yard

There is a White Rails pub (rebuilt IIRC in the Netherthorpe redevelopments of the late 50's early 60s) at the corner of Martin Street and Burlington Street. My Grandma lived in Burlington Block, just opposite the pub from the 70s to the 80s.

Sheldon's Row is a bit confusing to me, as I worked, briefly on a Sheldon Row in the early eighties, which ran behind Friedrich's Pork Butchers on the Wicker. It's a SheldDON Row, though, not a ShelDONS Row

Weigh Lane

Beatson's Square

Woodside

Russel Square

Ladies Walk (not joking; I'm sure this is immediately obvious, been a long day gardening, it's gone 11pm and I've searched through a lot of stuff to find these, I'm tired and I hurt)

Millington's Row

Barn Street

Parkin's Yard

Wicker tilt mill

Park engine

Guest plain talker

Brook's Open

Lilley Row/Lilley's Row

Well Meadow

Shales Square (I've got the Quiz Show buzzer to hand for this one !)

Whitecroft

Willey Street

Bridgehill

Flockton's Row (and who was Flockton ?)

Clay Hole

Norris Fields

I would imagine Well Meadow would be near the current "Well Meadow Street", in the Port Mahon area.

Shepley's Yard (I got a district for this)

Davy's Yard (I got a district for this)

Crabtree

Tilt Yard, Pond Street (so, it's on Pond Street, any more information ?)

Cross Street

Dyer's Hill (I got a district for this)

Reaney's Yard, Pond Street (see above)

Tudor's Court (I have a well known Street for this; very central)

Creswick's Walk (who was that famous Creswick ?)

Lowfoulds, Little Sheffield

Sargant's Row

Goal Street

White Rails

Deplh Yard

Sheldon's Row

Ward's Square

Nell's Yard

Clayton Row

Warburton Square and Warburton Place

Nelson's Road

Ashmore Yard

Found this

Richard Hawksworth, late of Sargant's-row, Wicker, also

of Willey-street, and previously of Cherry Tree-yard,

Gibraltar-street, Sheffield, Yorkshire, Table Knife Maker.

Here - www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/19942/pages/191/page.pdf

-- and this

Northerly, the facilities provided were no better. When a turnpike was projected to Barnsley, Wakefield and Leeds (1758), travellers, after crossing Lady's Bridge, and turning sharp along the Nursery – or, as we called it, "The White Rails" until "White" became a misnomer for anything in Sheffield – must needs labour up Pye Bank, both abrupt enough to break the heart of any horse ascending, and narrow enough to be perilous to any coach coming down.*

Here - http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancest.../highways2.html

Guest Falls

Shepley's Yard (I got a district for this)

Davy's Yard (I got a district for this)

Crabtree

Tilt Yard, Pond Street (so, it's on Pond Street, any more information ?)

Cross Street

Dyer's Hill (I got a district for this)

Reaney's Yard, Pond Street (see above)

Tudor's Court (I have a well known Street for this; very central)

Creswick's Walk (who was that famous Creswick ?)

Lowfoulds, Little Sheffield

Hi,

Dyer. Hill was in the Park district and came down the hill side from South Street to Granville Street. There was a second street called Bungay that also came down the hill side from the top of South Street and these two almost met at Granville Street. Apparently Bungay Street is still there, although grassed- over. Dye Hill may be the same.

There was a church, principly on South Street, that had the formal name of St Luke Dyer's Hill; however, It also had the secondary name of Sale Memorial. Most Park people knew it as Sale Memorial. The bomb-damaged church and spire was a prominant land mark for years before being demolished when Park Hill was redeveloped.

And these:

I don't know if they're already found or if we're still looking for them

Wards Square, Duke street

Nells's Yard, Rock street

Clayton's row, 20, Wicker

Warburton Square, Matilda Street

And I found a reference to a "George Ashmore Yard", Nursery Sreet

Guest Falls

Weigh Lane

Beatson's Square

Woodside

Russel Square

Ladies Walk (not joking; I'm sure this is immediately obvious, been a long day gardening, it's gone 11pm and I've searched through a lot of stuff to find these, I'm tired and I hurt)

Millington's Row

Barn Street

Parkin's Yard

Wicker tilt mill

Park engine

Weigh Lane started at Duke Street ( a short section may still be there), crossed over Bernard Street and climbed the shoulder of Parkill. It then crossed Parkhill Lane (It's highest point) and finished at the old St John's Road.

Guest Falls

And these:

I don't know if they're already found or if we're still looking for them

Wards Square, Duke street

Nells's Yard, Rock street

Clayton's row, 20, Wicker

Warburton Square, Matilda Street

And I found a reference to a "George Ashmore Yard", Nursery Sreet

If Clayton Row had a street address of 20 Wicker, it must have been where Samuel Osbourne's offices were later built.

Of course, most of the old Osbourne office buildings are still there, except for the section at the corner of Blonks Street that was demolished and is now the site of the new high-rise office building.

George Ashmore Yard is a bit of mystery. There used to be a bit of a yard at the Wicker end, where Nursery Street sweeps round on to Lady's Bridge. It was between the building the used to house Fitzpatrick and Longleys Billiard Hall and a shop the was once a saddler's. May be George Kelk

Regards