Where were the following districts of Sheffield please

RichardB

Fraid not.

A suprising response to mike142sl's suggestion which I though was likely to be correct.

After all the main road called Brocco Bank runs from Ecclesall Road at the roundabout near Endcliffe Park (i.e. Hunters Bar) up to Clarkhouse Road where it runs along the top entrance to the Botanical Gardens.

Surely Brocco itself must be somewhere in this area?

Unless it is named after some far off and once fought over place, like Gibralter Street, or perhaps it headed out of town towards Brocco but never actually got anywhere near it in terms of distance, like London Road.

DOH!!! My knots are not normally Fraid :o

How about the area around Scotland St ?

See this quote from another post

"11/6/1839 Joseph Lenton committed to York, charged with stabbing at the Omnibus beerhouse in the Brocco."

Still no wiser

See this quote from another post

"11/6/1839 Joseph Lenton committed to York, charged with stabbing at the Omnibus beerhouse in the Brocco."

Still no wiser

And a quote from Leader's Old Sheffield in Admin's St Philip's Church topic

Watery Street was a rural lane with a stream running down it....Allen Street, at that point of it across the Brocco, was only a highway, without any houses, so that there was a clear space and view from the top of Garden Street to the Jericho

Likewise Smith's list is confined to the West Riding. Perhaps I should have said 'a common name in England' Gramps!

Perhaps you should - this is the Sheffield History forum after all ;-)

Thanks to the pointer to Field's book - just ordered a copy from Abe for not very many dollars at all :)

Perhaps you should - this is the Sheffield History forum after all ;-)

Thanks to the pointer to Field's book - just ordered a copy from Abe for not very many dollars at all :)

A pleasure,that's how I came by it, recommended by someone and bought on eBay :)

Philadelphia ! Famed for a working mens club! Where did that name come from?

According to memoirs of an ancestor of mine, it seems there was an area called Philidephia. in the early 1800's He writes#[ There was a house in a field called Goddards field a little beyond St Phillips Church ,there was then no houses or buildings until we came to Philidelphia, the same was the case as regards Penistone Rd. There was no houses beyond the New Inn and Philidelphia. Does thi help Skeets

Brocco ?

I know where this was, does anyone else ?

What we really need is a good map of Broad Lane to Allen Street, circa 1820 <Hint>

I believe Pickle was the area from the entrance to the old Midland Station at the bottom of Spital Hill to the 12 O'clock (junction of Saville Street East and Attercliffe Road).

HI Gramps Did you mean the old Victoria Station Skeets.

No...I meant the old. old Midland station, - it was a 'goods' station when I and you were a lad :)

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=s15401

The Old Midland Goods Yard was the original terminus of the Sheffield and Rotherham Railway. After it closed to passengers (1870) it had a long existance as a goods depot, right upto 1965.

Until recently the site was a Vauxhall dealership, but that seems to have closed now, what next?

The Old Midland Goods Yard was the original terminus of the Sheffield and Rotherham Railway. After it closed to passengers (1870) it had a long existance as a goods depot, right upto 1965.

Until recently the site was a Vauxhall dealership, but that seems to have closed now, what next?

Would that be the old Charles Clarkes / Pentagon dealership?

I'm still trying to fix the exact location of the goods yard / station

If it was there until 1965 is it on the collection of 1950's maps?

It was here....

As an aside - I remember, when passing on the tram, seeing those quaint little 3 wheeler tractor/trailer units buzzing around that yard.

A giant Tesco ?

What we really need is a good map of Broad Lane to Allen Street, circa 1820 <Hint>

The procession went to a natural amphitheatre near Broad Lane, known as 'the Brocco' with the platform for speakers erected in Allen Street ....

(Brocco Street is shown on the arty-map of 1849, need an earlier map really)

From Sheffield Troublemakers.

Brocco ?

I know where this was, does anyone else ?

Third time I've posted this answer ... Grrrrr

The procession went to a natural amphitheatre neaar Broad Lane, known as #the Brocco' with the platform for speakers erected in Allen Street.

(Arty 1849 map shows Brocco Street in about the correct spot).

Third time I've posted this answer ... Grrrrr

The procession went to a natural amphitheatre neaar Broad Lane, known as #the Brocco' with the platform for speakers erected in Allen Street.

(Arty 1849 map shows Brocco Street in about the correct spot).

So we know where Brocco was (at thr 3rd time of telling lol ) but what about the original query The Omnibus pub/beerhouse.

Guest skeets

Philadelphia ! Famed for a working mens club! Where did that name come from?

HI l posted some info; re[ Philadelphia in a passage from my ancesters memories but looks like its lost skeets

The following districts are ill-defined in my mind (what's left of it anyway), can anyone help ?

Help with a definition of the districts that is; not my mind lol

Feel free to add your own, Parkwood Springs I could point at, but I don't really, really know ...

Parkwood Springs is the area close to the (bottom end of) the Ski Village (Douglas Road/Vale Road/Mount Road, etc). Used to be a thriving and popular housing area, but demolished in the 1960s and 70s as I recall. Had good access to the old Neepsend Station via footbridge over railway.

and my personal favourite ...

Pickle

Yes, there was an area known as Pickle, got to go back some way though :unsure::blink:

The Twelve o'clock Public House and tollgate stood where Savile Street and

the Attercliffe Road diverge. The Pickle was on the right hand side of the

latter.

Harping back to Parkwood Springs. - If, as the name implies, there are springs there, I wonder what happens to the water (obviously contaminated by the land fill) Does it run into the river Don? And why on earth did they put the landfill on them anyway?

Harping back to Parkwood Springs. - If, as the name implies, there are springs there, I wonder what happens to the water (obviously contaminated by the land fill) Does it run into the river Don? And why on earth did they put the landfill on them anyway?

Parkwood was full of springs, and unless the powers that be can make water run up hill, any run off will finish up in the Don

Glebe Land ? (1830's)

Glebe Land is a cracker, forget Bradfield, Norton, Stannington, Oughitibridge etc - think real, real central. I'd never heard of this "location" (note, I don't call it a place, just a location).

There was a Church there if that helps; which it doesn't much ...