Where were the following districts of Sheffield please

RichardB

skeets parkwood springs as l recall mmmany yrs ago, was up douglass rd works either side till you approached the railway bridge, a few buildings on the right, no more after but scrub land up to shirecliffe lane, after the bridge on the left wallace rd ,pickering rd , vale rd , mount st pub on the corner all very steep up to this point on mount st and then top of vale rd where was the chip shop owned by myaunt across the rd a little further was a kids play ground , swings etc; past that down a steep gennel to wards the river don this is how it was as l recall then , 75 yrs ago don't ask what l had for lunch !!!!!ARTHUR

A memory jogger, entrance to Parkwood Springs

skeets parkwood springs etc etc vale rd , mount st pub on the corner all very steep up to this point on mount st etc etc

Mount Street Pub ????????? :unsure: :huh:

Guest paulie

The following districts are ill-defined in my mind (what's left of it anyway), can anyone help ?

Help with a definition of the districts that is; not my mind lol

Feel free to add your own, Parkwood Springs I could point at, but I don't really, really know ...

I was a resedent of parkwood springs before it was demolished. It was an estate now taken up by the ski village. it took in wardsend cemertary . its boundry roads were herries road on the north, rutland road south , river don (langsett road ) west. shirecliffe and cuckswood roads east

Guest skeets

PISMIRE HILL l believe this was an earlier name for Pitsmoor, l once saw an old map and the area of Pitsmoor was designated with the word Pismire it was written over the ares now named pitsmoor Skeets

PISMIRE HILL l believe this was an earlier name for Pitsmoor, l once saw an old map and the area of Pitsmoor was designated with the word Pismire it was written over the ares now named pitsmoor Skeets

Pitsmoor also known as Ore Pits, quite some time ago ...

Here's a bunch, listed as "Bradfield Township" (but I wouldn't bank on that too much) from 1841

Heppenstall's Yard

Glass House

Folderings

Hall field

Corker walls

Bitholmes

Hollings

Yews

Fairhurst

Cold well

Asp lands

Dwarriden (what ?)

Damosel

Swinnock

Hagin Field

Castle dye, Ecclesall Bierlow - though strangely listed as being in Brightside Bierlow Township 1841.

I think that Pismire Hill was the original name of what became Bellhouse Road at Firth Park not Pitsmoor ! ;-)

I think that Pismire Hill was the original name of what became Bellhouse Road at Firth Park not Pitsmoor ! ;-)

Correct Dunsbyowl. It is shown on the 1907 Sheffield and district O.S.map.

regards George

Bowden Houstead's wood, Brightside Bierlow (1841)

Any info on Bowden Houstead ?

Shown on my Sheffield A/Z just off The Parkway to the left before you come to Handsworth Rd

Castle dye, Ecclesall Bierlow - though strangely listed as being in Brightside Bierlow Township 1841.

Castle Dyke -Just off Ringinglow Rd -Where the sports fields are.

A/Z 108 3D

1841 Ecclesfield Township places :

Belle Mont

Raisin Hall

Dunce Hill

Nethershire

Nether Shire Green -O.S.1907

Right over Pismire Hill to the left at the bottom before coming to wooley Woods.

Raisin Hall Rd is off Moonshine Lane but I cannot see any hall on my maps.

Here's a bunch, listed as "Bradfield Township" (but I wouldn't bank on that too much) from 1841

Heppenstall's Yard

Glass House

Folderings

Hall field

Corker walls

Bitholmes

Hollings

Yews

Fairhurst

Cold well

Asp lands

Dwarriden (what ?)

Damosel

Swinnock

Hagin Field

Corker Walls-South of Ughill ,on road to Dungworth.

Sheffield & district O.S 1907

Nether Shire Green -O.S.1907

Right over Pismire Hill to the left at the bottom before coming to wooley Woods.

Raisin Hall Rd is off Moonshine Lane but I cannot see any hall on my maps.

Raisen Hall stood on Herries Road where the Devonshire Arms now stands. don't know when it was demolished but The Forum cinema was built on the site of the farm and that opened in 1938. The Hall is still there on the 1902 map (Sheffield Longley in the Godfrey maps series Below).

Richard will probably know this already, but the Devonshire Arms was a pre-fab building opened in 1949, using the license from the blitzed pub of the same name at 23 The Moor. In 1962 a stone-built pub was built in front of the pre-fab which was then removed.

Heppenstall's Yard

Glass House

Folderings

Hall field

Corker walls

Bitholmes

Hollings

Yews

Fairhurst

Cold well

Asp lands

Dwarriden (what ?)

Damosel

Swinnock

Hagin Field

Bitholmes is just to the west of Manchester Road approaching Deepcar. Locally pronounced Biddums.

Hagin Field is on top of the ridge above Holdworth (between Holdworth and Spitewinter (wonderful name!)). (1st ed OS)Spelled Haighenfield on current maps.

Bowden Houstead's wood, Brightside Bierlow (1841)

Any info on Bowden Houstead ?

The wood is an ancient woodland bought by the Council from the Duke of Norfolk in 1914 for £6,000. It is listed in a document written for the 7th Earl of Shrewsbury between 1590 and 1616 as one of the spring woods in Sheffield. Going further back in 1332 at the death of Thomas de Furnival Bowden Housestead Woods is listed under the heading of pastures in woods, moors and commons. In the 14th century it was called Baldwynhousted, which means the homestead belonging to Baldwyn.

Guest tsavo

Heppenstall's Yard

Glass House

Folderings

Hall field

Corker walls

Bitholmes

Hollings

Yews

Fairhurst

Cold well

Asp lands

Dwarriden (what ?)

Damosel

Swinnock

Hagin Field

Glass house was discussed after a reference to someone from Glass House dying in Sheffield. No answer found to this location though.

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...amp;#entry10066

Heppenstall's Yard

Glass House

Folderings

Hall field

Corker walls

Bitholmes

Hollings

Yews

Fairhurst

Cold well

Asp lands

Dwarriden (what ?)

Damosel

Swinnock

Hagin Field

Foldrings--Sheff A/Z page 72 1A Off Lumb Lane Oughtibridge

A memory jogger, entrance to Parkwood Springs

That rings a bell. Back in the early 60's the City Libraries had their first mobile library, which was a converted single decker bus. Later they bought some custom built vehicles, but the old bus was kept on for several years as it was the only one they had that would fit through the bridge in the picture and serve Parkwood Springs!