Where were the following districts of Sheffield please

RichardB

Looks very much like Dam Lane is the current Northumberland Road and that Conduit Road is on the site of Webb Piece Walk.

Pisgah-vale ? William Braithwait, scissor manufacturer, 1842.

​Richard Braithwaite, 1849.

Braithwaite Rd. scissor, &c. mfr. 32 Rockingham st ; h Mount Pisgah

Scissor Manufactures, 1839.

Braithwait  Wm. 32 Rockingham st
Braithwait William, 23 Carr lane, Bailey lane

​Variously described as "Glossop Road", "Fulwood Road" Palestine Place appears to have been located at, or around, Parkers Road, around 184 - 186 Whitham Road ... When I'm done looking, I'll start a post for Palestine Place with some evidence to back this up.

​Variously described as "Glossop Road", "Fulwood Road" Palestine Place appears to have been located at, or around, Parkers Road, around 184 - 186 Whitham Road ... When I'm done looking, I'll start a post for Palestine Place with some evidence to back this up.

​Palestine Place in 1838:

Palestine_Place_1838.thumb.PNG.58db0bc38

and in 1851:

Palestine_Place_1851.thumb.png.9081b320a

Interesting to see that the current Crookes Road was just a footpath and the main road up to Crookes was Parkers Road:

Palestine_Place_1853.thumb.png.e61940fe2

Checking the 1851 and 1861 Census Records there were 8 Properties on Palestine Place.

Shaw's Close or Oxley Croft - where might that have been (first quarter 1700's) ?

May, or may not have been asked before; I've been 10 years on this site).

10 hours ago, RichardB said:

Shaw's Close or Oxley Croft - where might that have been (first quarter 1700's) ?

May, or may not have been asked before; I've been 10 years on this site).

The Peace Gardens, which  in 1720 was the building site for the new St Paul's Church. In 1725 Robert Downes, a goldsmith who provided the land for the construction of the new church, sold a piece of Oxley Croft which was probably not required for the church, to Edward Cheney for £95 7s 6d.  Downes sowed the seeds of the church's later problems by retaining the right to appoint the minister as a condition for the provision of the land.

Further information on the church is here:  St Pauls - Chis Hobbs site

The Sheffield Archives have a copy of a deed ( PR139/F1/2/1a) giving details by which Robert Downes of Sheffield, goldsmith, and Joseph Downes of Stockport, clerk, grant authority to trustees to build new Chapel-of-Ease on land known as Shaw’s Close or Oxley Croft.  It recites how: ‘Robert Downes out of his pious zeal for carrying on that good and charitable work had subscribed and served one thousand pounds for the building of such structure and had settled thirty pounds per annum or thereabouts for the perpetual use of a perpetual minister or preacher…’

There is a query about Stanton Broom Glossop Road on pp18-19 of this thread (dates from 2011)...

This is the 1855 OS map. Stanton Broom was a terrace of c16 houses, here shown as one block, at the junction with Clarkehouse Road.

Stanton Broom 1855.JPG

The same terrace unnamed in 1894 (25" map)
Stanton Broom 1894 OS 25inch.JPG

Isn't it showing the junction of Glossop Road and Clarkehouse Road ? Isnt the old home of Francis Newton Broombank, still standing and now a pub / restaurant named after him. 

32 minutes ago, tozzin said:

Isn't it showing the junction of Glossop Road and Clarkehouse Road ? Isnt the old home of Francis Newton Broombank, still standing and now a pub / restaurant named after him. 

Here's the area on Google, the Wetherspoons pub ("The Francis Newton") is on Clarkehouse Road, the remains of the Stanton Broom terrace is on Glossop Road, opposite the Hallamshire Hospital.

259743229_ClarkehouseGlossop.jpg.a861fa8aa8d0acdb6beca6833e8c6ff3.jpg

On 17/02/2008 at 17:29, roystonowl said:

Hollow Meadows was at one time small hospital for the 'Mentally Subnormal' as they were described back in the 60's.

I remember residents walking up from the bus turning point just down the road from the building at the end of what would have been a working day.

On 13 February 2008 at 18:21, RichardB said:

The following districts are ill-defined in my mind (what's left of it anyway), can anyone help ?

Help with a definition of the districts that is; not my mind lol

Feel free to add your own, Parkwood Springs I could point at, but I don't really, really know ...

I did my first teaching practice at Parkwood Springs Primary School in the early 70s - I believe it overlooked the ski village but not sure if it had been built then - mind also playing tricks!!

On 13/02/2008 at 19:37, SteveHB said:

Hollow Meadows is next to the A57 (Manchester Road) at Rivelin Dams ... FLASH EARTH

hollow_meadows_01_e.jpg

Showing part of the famous 'Wyming Brook Drive' on the R/H side.

Love this photograph