Where were the following districts of Sheffield please

RichardB

1774 Mystery places :

Old Waterhouse

If this is the one, it's Leader to the rescue again. (Chapter 10)

"A glance at a map will show that this and the adjacent houses formed, roughly, an isosceles triangle, the upper part of Townhead Street, opposite St. James's Church, being the base, Pinfold Street and the western end of Campo Lane the two sides; the apex being the old Waterhouse, where these two streets met, at the bottom of Trippet Lane. On the other side of Campo Lane, there was another irregular block, so surrounded by thoroughfares as to be a sort of island. The Warm Hearthstone " infancy of the water supply in (he same neighbourhood the original " Waterhouse " of the Water Company. This stood in Pinfold Lane, at the acute angle where Campo Lane, above "The Warm Hearthstone," ran into Trippet Lane."

Another quote from leader but no indication as to where

Chapter IV

"It is legitimate to receive with scepticism this eulogy of the
wares of the Southend dealer, when we remember that the
name " How," with a cross and sort of Prince of Wales
feathers, was a Hallamshire corporate mark struck by one
Thomas Maxfield in Balm Green. There was also a Robert
How, in " Old Waterhouse," a cutler, in I774."

"Districts" getting smaller and smaller !

Robert How, springknife cutler and George Kent, penknife cutler both of Old Waterhouse (1774)

Another quote from leader but no indication as to where

Chapter IV

"It is legitimate to receive with scepticism this eulogy of the
wares of the Southend dealer, when we remember that the
name " How," with a cross and sort of Prince of Wales
feathers, was a Hallamshire corporate mark struck by one
Thomas Maxfield in Balm Green. There was also a Robert
How, in " Old Waterhouse," a cutler, in I774."

and from 1865 ...

Hobson's Choice

and Allon Sick.

Presumably just small, possibly just one house but where were they ??

Hobson's Choice - off Walkley Lane, between numbers 100 and 171 (where Lonsdale Road joins it now?). Hobsons Choice had 13 or 14 houses:

Allen Sike House in 1851, next to the Allen Sike stream, was on Lodge Moor Road (now Redmires Road):

Now mysteriously renamed Hallam Syke Farm (though arguably better than Allon Sick):

Corker Walls is on Corker Lane near Bradfield. In the early 1860's William Crapper and his son George regularly won prizes at agricultural shows. In 1863 George married Ruth, the widow of Ebenezer Crapper of Hills Farm, Moorwood. By 1865 Henry, brother of George was selling up. The farm was rebuilt in the late 1930's.

This one is very, very precise; down to a single house, and, at September 1587 an early one.

"Lane-head-stone"

Guest Richard J Webb

I'm new to this site so my reply is a few years late. Crook Croft was mentioned, I came across this yesterday, on the 1853 Sheffield town map there's a Crook Croft Engine shown on South Street, Park, on the site of the Norfolk Brewery which was built there in the 1860s at the Granville Street junction. I guess this was a place called Crook Croft and not the engine manufacturer. I have an image of the map but I've not worked out how to upload it yet. Now uploaded!

I'm new to this site so my reply is a few years late. Crook Croft was mentioned, I came across this yesterday, on the 1853 Sheffield town map there's a Crook Croft Engine shown on South Street, Park, on the site of the Norfolk Brewery which was built there in the 1860s at the Granville Street junction. I guess this was a place called Crook Croft and not the engine manufacturer. I have an image of the map but I've not worked out how to upload it yet.

More Reply Options > Choose Files > Add to Post

We may have to wait another 400 years because I've completely forgotten ! Can't even remember what I was looking for when I came upon it. Burke.

I do recall it wasn't out in the wilds, it was in the region of Bank Street/Snig Hill.

My apologies for the error, it'll be written on one of several hundred post-its that infest my desk.

Could it be here ?

Lane Head Boundary Stone

attachicon.gifLane Head Boundary Stone.jpg

© Copyright Terry Robinson and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1854403

We may have to wait another 400 years because I've completely forgotten ! Can't even remember what I was looking for when I came upon it. Burke.

I do recall it wasn't out in the wilds, it was in the region of Bank Street/Snig Hill.

My apologies for the error, it'll be written on one of several hundred post-its that infest my desk.

Lane Head Boundary Stone.

Nearest I got, was somewhere near to where the Irish Cross was sited, like you say "Snig Hill" area.

Richard,

I reckon it was one of the houses at Irish Cross?

Thanks for the confirmation Steve, I did have a blokes name but nice to know the area.

Lane Head Boundary Stone.

Nearest I got, was somewhere near to where the Irish Cross was sited, like you say "Snig Hill" area.