Shirecliffe College

Guest tsavo

Came across this picture from my past. The old Shirecliffe College was my place of work for over ten years. Many happy memories of a building that could be seen from wherever you were in the city.

Guest Trefcon

Love this shot tsavo,

an old Landy, i love old Landy's, especially series one's, and the old bus stop sign, brilliant!

I lived just below here for a couple of years.

What a building, what a setting for a building!

Dean.

oh! and i did a bit of flag laying in there in 'bout 95?

That would be the Paviors (spelling?) course. Bit after my time I think. I moved to Stradbrook around 1988. Not the best looking building but there is a story connected to it's strange internal ground floor layout. The architect decided that an outcrop of rock should remain and a staircase from Reception to the Workshops area be built. The story goes that a digger driver took the moving of this rock a bit of a personal challenge and did eventually move it, only to be told to put it back- pronto.

What a great picture. I did all my apprenticeship schooling there and have some great memories. The canteen meals, winning the intermural five a side, lunches in the TimberTop pub and Mr Inott(sp) always setting his overalls on fire by putting his still lit pipe in his pocket lol to name a few. I must admit it blew my mind when I heard that they had demolised the place. I was there from it opening it was a state of the art trades college (compared to Salmon Pastures). So where do all the apprentices go now???

Nowhere, which is why there are so many Polish plumbers in the UK. As a matter of interest, Mick, what years were you there and what did you study?

Nowhere, which is why there are so many Polish plumbers in the UK. As a matter of interest, Mick, what years were you there and what did you study?

As memory serves 1973- 1977. I went back in1979 to take some advanced courses and fellowship exams

Guest transit

Many happy times - was there 79-82 doing City & Guilds painting & decorating (apprentice of Bradburys at Cemetry Rd, Sharrow) Remember Mr Lloyd -a true master craftsman (in car and paintwork finishes) , Fred Ashton , 3 or 4 others i cant remember the names of. Learnt something everyday looking back - Wish i could go again and taken it more serious!(even though i passed) lol

Guest daniel

Came across this picture from my past. The old Shirecliffe College was my place of work for over ten years. Many happy memories of a building that could be seen from wherever you were in the city.

great picture have you any more ?

Guest philb

Great picture,what memories,I went there 1969 to 1972,I was an apprentice joiner doing city and guilds.Many a dinnertime in the Timbertop pub.

Guest normanmarina

New to this site,have fond memories of Shirecliffe,attended on block release (apprentice joiner with bradburys)1973-1975 left sheffield 75 for the depths of lancashire finished my apprenticeship with a firm in Fleetwood!! I remember Albert white,Mick lomax and Gill lathem all tutors,also remember a lot of the lads I was on the course with in particular a lad called Pete Allen who I think gave up joinery to become a social worker,have tried to find him but to no avail.also spent my lunchtimes in the timbertop(how on earth did we manage those machines after lunch!!)cheers all Colin.

Guest wunumpi

I studied at Shirecliffe from late 84 to late 85. I did the City and Guilds Aggriculture and learned to drive a tractor there under the tutellage of Neil and Freda Shaw. That was by far the best year of my young adulthood. I almost cried when I heard it was gone. I remember going down to the Timbertop on a a Friday lunchtime and getting plastered with the whole class and all they could do with us was put us out on the grass at the back overlooking Owlerton Stadium and let us sleep it off. I wish I could find some of the old crew.