Soon To Be Gone

syrup

I am Mexican, I am taking an MA in Fine Art in Psalter Lane. Does any one know anything about the history of the building? How built it etc?

From The Local Register, 22nd January 1857:

Sheffield School of Art - Annual Meeting in the new school, which has been errected at a cost of £7100".

I am Mexican, I am taking an MA in Fine Art in Psalter Lane. Does any one know anything about the history of the building? How built it etc?

From The Local Register, 22nd January, 1857.

"Sheffield School of Art - Annual Meeting held at the school which was built at a cost of £7100".

I want the "Urban Explorer" (can't remember his name, Sorry !) to urban explore Leah's Yard on Cambridge Street; or a placard-waving bunch of SH people to demand entry.

Anyone got a map showing the area of the expected carnage please ?

Sportsman 20 Coal Pit Lane opened 1833

There may now be more information on this here

Leahs Yard, Cambridge Street

Guest darcy

The old Bethal Sunday School building, more recently John Lewis toy/sport shop has been saved from the bulldozer for the time being. Its soon to be reopened on a tempory basis as a clearance shop for John Lewis. A last chance for anyone interested to have a look inside and look up at the ceiling. You'll get an idea of what a great building it was before being shop fitted. Although I still have nightmares about the cellars!!!

Guest Gramps

The old Bethal Sunday School building, more recently John Lewis toy/sport shop has been saved from the bulldozer for the time being. Its soon to be reopened on a tempory basis as a clearance shop for John Lewis. A last chance for anyone interested to have a look inside and look up at the ceiling. You'll get an idea of what a great building it was before being shop fitted. Although I still have nightmares about the cellars!!!

Come on then....what about the cellars gives you nightmares ? We're all agog :)

I think I read somewhere that the builders had great difficulty with the Sunday School, or perhaps it was the Chapel, because of all the old coal workings on the site.

And welcome to the forum.

Guest darcy

Thanks for the welcome.

The cellar is 3 small rooms with (tantalisingly) a blocked up door at 1 end. Very dark, damp, and extremely cold. Not a nice feeling being down there!

We recently found an old locked safe in there behind fixtures. Think its still in there.

It is a wonderful building dripping in history, as are many buildings around it. It will be a crime when the bulldozers go in.

Don't think it will be much longer 'till these have rotted away completely.

I caught a glimpse through the trees of the old pigeon lofts below Cuthbert Bank as I sat in traffic on Penistone Rd. I decided to return today to have a look.

I remember when they were in full view from the road and still in full use. (15 or 20 yrs ago?) I seem to think the council wanted to demolish them because they were an eyesore. There was something to do with international football or something that was about to be happening in Sheffield. (Is that right?) I guess the council got around the objections by just planting a load of trees between them and the road, thereby blocking them from view and, consequently, eventually rendering them useless. I climbed up from Penistone Rd and it was a bit of a difficult job to say the least.

I did however notice that there is one remaining loft, nearer to the Hillfoot Bridge end, which still seems to be used.

Guest metalmickuk

Another soon to gone, for sale for redevelopment

Meersbrook Park Methodist church and Tin Chapel

i went to sunday school and the cubs there as a child in the fifties ,it was then known as meersbrook park congregationalist church we were known as the meersbrook congs lot .sad to see the old place looking unloved.anyone know when it became a methodist church ?

I caught a glimpse through the trees of the old pigeon lofts below Cuthbert Bank as I sat in traffic on Penistone Rd. I decided to return today to have a look.

I remember when they were in full view from the road and still in full use. (15 or 20 yrs ago?) I seem to think the council wanted to demolish them because they were an eyesore. There was something to do with international football or something that was about to be happening in Sheffield. (Is that right?) I guess the council got around the objections by just planting a load of trees between them and the road, thereby blocking them from view and, consequently, eventually rendering them useless. I climbed up from Penistone Rd and it was a bit of a difficult job to say the least.

I did however notice that there is one remaining loft, nearer to the Hillfoot Bridge end, which still seems to be used.

I remember when you could see them in full view from Penistone Road and yes they were a real eyesore to just about everyone who ever saw them from that viewpoint. I was once going to Hillsborough on the bus and judging by the reaction of passengers as we drove past them no one wanted to see them there and the Council must have had a fair few complaints about them.

That would probably have been for the European championships "Euro 96" when Hillsborough was use as a venue for matches. You could argue the pigeon fanciers did get their revenge when Dave Allen became Chairman at Wednesday! ;-)

That would probably have been for the European championships "Euro 96" when Hillsborough was use as a venue for matches. You could argue the pigeon fanciers did get their revenge when Dave Allen became Chairman at Wednesday! ;-)

Ah yes! I remember loads of international flags flying on Penistone Rd outside the Wednesday ground.

Not quite as long ago as I thought then.

Another soon to gone, for sale for redevelopment

Meersbrook Park Methodist church and Tin Chapel

Sorry to inform you sando but ..

'Meersbrook Park Methodist church and the old Tin Chapel'

have now been demolished

:(

I would have loved to have looked around this old building when

it was stood empty.

Does anyone know if the main part of the old G.P.O building

at the front is to be demolished too?

It used to have a " For Sale " sign on it but it's now gone.

Think this may have been posted elsewhere .. Sheffield Central Post Office 28/05/07- 28dayslater site

Thank you for passing this on Steve.

I really wish I hadn't seen the pictures now, that ceiling and the staircase

why do they have to demolish buildings like this.

They don't build them like that anymore, anything for the cheapest with

no style. :( :angry:

no style. :(:angry:

There is a staircase to the East side of the building (Shude Lane), between the Barrow Boys and the Penny Black (navigation by Pubs), the upper doors into the old Post Office on that staircase were left open last weekend.

If I was a man of slightly less, shall we politely say "Volume", I might have had a look around myself.

There is a staircase to the East side of the building (Shude Lane), between the Barrow Boys and the Penny Black (navigation by Pubs), the upper doors into the old Post Office on that staircase were left open last weekend.

If I was a man of slightly less, shall we politely say "Volume", I might have had a look around myself.

I shall go on Wednesday with camera in hand and see if I can sneak a look. B)

Nothing to be seen at the back of the old Telephone Exchange

only these metal pillows that the first floor has been stood on all

these years.

Guest suzy

no style. :(:angry:

Totally agree - what an absolute crying shame this is :(

Such a beautiful building, both outside and particularly inside with that magnificent spiral staircase. How on earth do they get away with it :o

If I won the lottery I'd buy this and make good use of it.

Shame on them, instead of building new bland buildings

they should use the money to renovate old buildings like this

not like the sixies buildings they've listed.

Sorry to inform you sando but ..

'Meersbrook Park Methodist church and the old Tin Chapel'

have now been demolished

:(

Hi,don't know if you've noticed,but a new church has been built on this site now!

Hi,don't know if you've noticed,but a new church has been built on this site now!

Not been down that neck of the woods for a while, thanks for the update Dave.

Link to the new church .. http://www.urcyorkshire.org.uk/tp.html

For once, wouldn't it be great to see a great building rotting in reverse, to watch it come back to life ?

Many happy trips into town in my youth to get First Day Covers (granted a rip-off, but that's national and not Sheffield's fault).

Now, who's for Town Hall Three on Waingate ?

Great news Mr Dunsby, I'll watch developments with interest if the locals keep me updated and the pictures keep coming. I don't check The Star like wot I should, but I've spent a lot of time on my new, mystery project and there's a lot more time to spend on it yet if we're to have an update for the Bank Holiday.

Thank you.