Soon To Be Gone

syrup

I was in Sheffield today and spoted this does any one know where it might be.

Get ready with the Buzzer, Cole Brothers ?

<BUZZ>

Get ready with the Buzzer, Cole Brothers ?

<BUZZ>

Correct building but what does the sign signify ( Sadly the whole building soon to be gone )

Of course, in good old Coalpit Lane cum Cambridge Street. 2nd again!

I'm amazed to be first and don't know the answer to the next question ! <Buffoon>

Guest janice844

I'm amazed to be first and don't know the answer to the next question ! <Buffoon>

The little lane up the side is called Bethel Walk, from there you can see that the art deco frontage has been added onto the front of an older building which someone told me used to be a chapel. I'm working on the top floor at the moment, on a short term contract, I don't think the date on the front is 1930's, (I'll have to have a look) but the inside is really deco.

The little lane up the side is called Bethel Walk, from there you can see that the art deco frontage has been added onto the front of an older building which someone told me used to be a chapel. I'm working on the top floor at the moment, on a short term contract, I don't think the date on the front is 1930's, (I'll have to have a look) but the inside is really deco.

Hi janice844 You are right about the the date being wrong as you can see on the photos i took yesterday check post 50 on this link.

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...c=533&st=40

Hi RichardB, Sorry if i mislead with the question but if you look closely at the stone engraving the initials are GB and not CB

as in George Binns ( outfitters ) Who had the shop before Cole Brothers.

PS What happens to such stonework do they save them for prosperity ( for lack of a better word ) or do they just destroy them.

Yorkshire Man next to Coles

A good pub ruined

Saturday lunch of Meat & Potato pie was a tradition for the wife & I

That was before it went haywire with a silly name change

Sad if it is going

From Coles Restaurant you can see the pediment of the Bethel Chapel above the old Coles sports/toy frontage.

Looks like an impressive building in its day:

Picture Sheffield link

The Sunday School to the left is also still there, but not for long.

Hugh

Might be worth actually going out with the camera around coles and over towards the fire station. Soon to be demolished

I want the "Urban Explorer" (can't remember his name, Sorry !) to urban explore Leah's Yard on Cambridge Street; or a placard-waving bunch of SH people to demand entry.

Anyone got a map showing the area of the expected carnage please ?

Sportsman 20 Coal Pit Lane opened 1833

Yorkshire Man next to Coles

A good pub ruined

Saturday lunch of Meat & Potato pie was a tradition for the wife & I

That was before it went haywire with a silly name change

Sad if it is going

Yorkshire Man/Yorkshireman's Arms 31 Burgess Street opened 1796 became a Pub with a silly name, got knocked down (heading off into Sheffield Future here !!!!).

This must have been knocked down and rebuilt a few times ... probably ...

I want the "Urban Explorer" (can't remember his name, Sorry !) to urban explore Leah's Yard on Cambridge Street; or a placard-waving bunch of SH people to demand entry.

Anyone got a map showing the area of the expected carnage please ?

Sportsman 20 Coal Pit Lane opened 1833

Hi RichardB

This is an earlier post i did with the purchase order if it helps.

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/i...ost&id=4368

Thank you, I'm often distracted with other stuff (Pubs, obviously); What the Heck is the Stardust Bar ??

Above, beyond, below, behind, inside, Oooops Upside your head Leah's Yard .... mmmmm

Hi RichardB

Managed to find a couple of photos just showing the Stardust Bar if they help a little bit.

Guest helerman

I am Mexican, I am taking an MA in Fine Art in Psalter Lane. Does any one know anything about the history of the building? How built it etc?

I am Mexican, I am taking an MA in Fine Art in Psalter Lane. Does any one know anything about the history of the building? How built it etc?

Do you have an address for the building, I can't place it. Psalter Lane I can place, just not any educational establishments. Mind you, it's been a while ....

Welcome to the Site, Enjoy, post lots, I hope you find some good answers ... and, if you've got a stinker of a question about Public Houses ... ask Tsavo !

The oldest part of the Psalter Lane Campus (of Sheffield Hallam) was built as the Blue Coat School when it moved from East Parade in 1911. In WW2 it was taken over by the army and after the war was soon taken over by the Sheffield Education Committe as an Art School. - interesting detail about its history in the war on the BBC People's War site

The 1903 OS map (Alan Godfrey reprint) shows the site as quarry/fields.

Hugh