Parkwood Springs

Guest paulie

I must admit it's the design of the houses that is puzzling me.

Having lived in that area most of my life I can't remember seeing houses like that but

having said that , they could have been demolished many years ago.

There is a face there that looks very familiar, but I can't put a name to it yet.

Where's neddy when you need him?

Puzzled me as well, two front doors together,

possible, Library Services

Ref No: u02115 Title: 23-41 St John's Road, Park, junction of Wybourn Road Location: Sheffield Park Photographer: City Engineers Department Keywords: B&W_Repro_of_Negative Internet Park Lampposts Street_Furniture Wybourn_Road St_Johns_Road Terraces Housing

I've been in touch with a bloke who runs a website about street lighting and asked him about the street lamp that appears in the teddy boy photo.

He's downloaded the photo himself and thinks that the lantern is a "Wembley" pattern made by GEC.

This lantern is for use with a normal incandescent bulb or a L. P. mercury vapour lamp. The only incandescent lamps I remember on Sheffield side streets were the open ones with the enamelled open reflector.

I have never seen a mercury vapour lamp used on Sheffield streets apart from the area to the north that came under the old West Riding Councils where they were exclusively used.

I'm going to have a look on the oldmaps site to see if I can find our single gas holder in one of the West Riding towns.

HD

Guest trish smith

Hello to all,

I am writing a book about Sheffield in days gone by, and I would be grateful for any information on the Searle family (possibly John Searle and his wife of unknown first name) who live at No. 154 Wallace Road, Neepsend, Sheffield 3. I am particularly interested in the year 1936, which is when the famous writer, George Orwell, visited Sheffield during his research for his book The Road to Wigan Pier. Orwell (or Eric Blair as he was christened) stayed with the Searles from 2 March to 5 March 1936. He was very dergoatory about Sheffield, but exceptional grateful to the Searles, who he said, "I have never met people with more natural decency. They were as kind to me as anyone possibly could be, and I hope and trust that they liked me.". That is quite a rare compliment coming from Orwell, who was a deceptively good man, but exceptionally taciturn.

If anyone knows of the Searles, I would be most grateful to hear from them.

Best regards,

Ian Rivedon

Guest trish smith

I know of a John searle who was a friend of my oldest brother & his wife Linda was a good friend of my brother alans wife how old would your John searle be ?

Guest trish smith

I refer to the old castle tower which was situated in the middle of a field between Wallace rd and Pickering rd , my brother and his family lived in this castle in the 70s

I refer to the old castle tower which was situated in the middle of a field between Wallace rd and Pickering rd , my brother and his family lived in this castle in the 70s

Does he have any pictures of the castle house.

Guest palmtree126

Loved reading the topic written by MikeB about the house he lived in on Pickering Road. I remember it well! I was born in Parkwood Springs in 1940 and lived on Wallace Road until 1961. The wall of our yard skirted the land around the "Big House" and I have always been fascinated with the "Castle". I have got a photo of me when I was small in our yard and you can just see the "Castle" in the background. Can't remember the fountain though!

Guest pickle

Anyone remember when actor Tony Booth was filming at Parkwood.

Hi, bit late to reply to this but I remember well when Tony filmed at Parkwood and I remember a girl older than me (I think it was Pauline Cooper) took a clipping from his fingernail ... Pickle

Guest pickle

Hi , I am sorry to take up so much time and space - but I am smitten .

I am sure many people will remember the times in Parkwood springs when social events were the norm .

One example was the Whitsuntide events .

On Whit Sunday all the kids dressed in their Sunday best . There was a march under the unfurled banners and pennants of their

local churches " multidenominational" of course , congregating in the local park and singing to their hearts content .

On the Monday however , all the kids from the area met again for the competitions . Pakwood Springs was no exception .

Mr George Torry who was the local newsagent of the time in Pickering road , used to close up his shop and move it lock -stock and all smoking barrels on to the wreck at the top of Vale Road just below the bowling green .

George Torry used to make up a lot of the prizes for the kids in the competition , - a portable freezer full of ice cream and iced lollies - . Not many local shopkeepers would do that to-day . It was a good day that was had by most .

The churches that were involved at the time were the Methodist church and " St. Michaels " on Vale Road . This was a church hall in the form of a " prefabricated "? building at the back of a house in Vale Road . Maybe someone else will remember it .

The important thing is that - families , kids mums dads , grans and grandads enjoyed the simple pleasures with the kids .

O' Happy days !

I lived on Vale Road and remember the prefabricated building, I remember a "disco" once being held in the chuch hall, Think it was the early 60's, I was only young but one of the older girls (Catherine Newbald) I think took me, I though she was wonderful (my hero) .

Always think we were so lucky to be brought up in such a lovely place.

I remember the Searles, Claytons, and Muscrofts (still in touch with one of them) lots of others from the Springs... happy days; Carol AKA Pickle

Hi All, been a long time visitor to this site but this is my first post, after reading about Parkwood Springs i knew that my family lived on Wallace Road for many years so i went and asked my dad about it, my great grandad Henry Jordan lived at 165 Wallace road for many years, (i don't know my great grandmothers name) eventually they had a daughter Nellie, who later married Alfred Taylor, all 4 lived together in the same house and Nellie and Alfred had a son, John Taylor(my father)

The film mentioned earlier in this topic featured the interior of this house, the house was apparantly used because it had the best view a bridge that featured in the film, the family had no option but to move out during the filming and had to live in a house on Pickering road, upon returning to the house they found that several walls had been knocked down for camera access and some family items had gone missing during the filming

my dad has some photo's of his time there and is hopefully going to dig them out, when he does i'll post them on here

cheers

oh yes, apparantly i was christened in the church that used to be on the corner of wallace road

Hi All, been a long time visitor to this site but this is my first post, after reading about Parkwood Springs i knew that my family lived on Wallace Road for many years so i went and asked my dad about it, my great grandad Henry Jordan lived at 165 Wallace road for many years, (i don't know my great grandmothers name) eventually they had a daughter Nellie, who later married Alfred Taylor, all 4 lived together in the same house and Nellie and Alfred had a son, John Taylor(my father)

Did your dad live near Wadsley Church in the early 90s W/E.

Hi All, been a long time visitor to this site but this is my first post, after reading about Parkwood Springs i knew that my family lived on Wallace Road for many years so i went and asked my dad about it, my great grandad Henry Jordan lived at 165 Wallace road for many years, (i don't know my great grandmothers name) eventually they had a daughter Nellie, who later married Alfred Taylor, all 4 lived together in the same house and Nellie and Alfred had a son, John Taylor(my father) The film mentioned earlier in this topic featured the interior of this house, the house was apparantly used because it had the best view a bridge that featured in the film, the family had no option but to move out during the filming and had to live in a house on Pickering road, upon returning to the house they found that several walls had been knocked down for camera access and some family items had gone missing during the filming my dad has some photo's of his time there and is hopefully going to dig them out, when he does i'll post them on here cheers oh yes, apparantly i was christened in the church that used to be on the corner of wallace road

Possibly Beatrice Brumpton, married 1909

The film mentioned earlier in this topic featured the interior of this house, the house was apparantly used because it had the best view a bridge that featured in the film, the family had no option but to move out during the filming and had to live in a house on Pickering road, upon returning to the house they found that several walls had been knocked down for camera access and some family items had gone missing during the filming

my dad has some photo's of his time there and is hopefully going to dig them out, when he does i'll post them on here

cheers

oh yes, apparantly i was christened in the church that used to be on the corner of wallace road

Hi walrus, and welcome to SheffieldHistory,

regarding the film you mention (in posts 145 to 147 of this Topic), was this the one .. SH link to

regarding the film you mention (in posts 145 to 147 of this Topic), was this the one .. SH link to

That looks like the one, the steps are leading down to Neepsend Station site, with Farfield Road beyond the bridge, they painted the walls black on either side of the steps, a mystery solved for me thanks SteveHB

great stuff, really love the clip on you tube

yes, moved there in 1991 and still does

Give him my regards. Did a deal with him in the early 90s, My Citroen CX for his Series 1 Land Rover. W/E.

Give him my regards. Did a deal with him in the early 90s, My Citroen CX for his Series 1 Land Rover. W/E.

yes will do, i remember that car, we used to call it the green godess, i ended up driving it myself for a while, i was in my early 20's at the time and felt like royalty in it

Nearest pic I have looking Burgoyne Road to Parkwood

Nice shot of the Ski Village there `neddy`. Just heard on Calendar News that the Ski Lodge went up in smoke today. W/E.

Keep us foreigners updated please ...

Nice shot of the Ski Village there `neddy`. Just heard on Calendar News that the Ski Lodge went up in smoke today. W/E.

Guest stevegreg62

1925 directory Parkwood Springs

WALLACE RD CONT. 2

(

93 BALLARD JAMES, GASWORKER

COURT 13

-----------------------------------------------

Thats my great grandad, his son albert went on to become lord mayor of sheffield