3 year search and still a dead end Help!

Guest cindy

Mr Dad was born 1922 @ 44 Townhead Street, his father was Stanley Green born 1896 he was a barman then coal merchant his father was George Green (steel fettler)

Stanly married in 1918 @ sheefield registry office to Rose Gripton 54 Campo Lane, Stanley ran a coal merchants in 1919 from 57 Campo Lane. the business finished in around 1929 when he got devorced. I have not been able to trace a birth/death or any record of him other than his marriage certificate. Would he have been in the 1914-1918 war would there be records? ANY help would be appricated.

Mr Dad was born 1922 @ 44 Townhead Street, his father was Stanley Green born 1896 he was a barman then coal merchant his father was George Green (steel fettler)

Stanly married in 1918 @ sheefield registry office to Rose Gripton 54 Campo Lane, Stanley ran a coal merchants in 1919 from 57 Campo Lane. the business finished in around 1929 when he got devorced. I have not been able to trace a birth/death or any record of him other than his marriage certificate. Would he have been in the 1914-1918 war would there be records? ANY help would be appricated.

Hi Cindy, I am a little confused by your post - can you be a little more explicit?

What was the name of your dad?

I gather your grandad was Stanley Green - was he born Sheffield ?

Was it your gt grandad who was George Green? Where was he born?

Whose birth is it you can't find? ( you say your dad was born 1922).

Have I misunderstood?

Have you found the family in the 1901 census? I have had a quick look and they don't immedately spring out.

Please give as much info as possible and I will try to guide you along after that.

Regards, John

hello Cindy,

The only GREEN birth I could find in Sheffield in 1922 with mmn GRIPTON was Freda E. Is your Dad in fact Herbert born 1924 (named after his GRIPTON grandfather(?) who was the coal dealer at 44 Townhead St in 1919)?

Hugh

My Father is Herbert Green born in 1924 -(sheffield) unfortunately my dad is very vauge on his father as he left when he was 3 years old.

Freda E. Green was my Dads sister born in 1922 - 1949 (sheffield)

Stanley Green (Coal Merchant)is his father born 1n 1896 married to Rose Gripton in 1918 - 1955 (sheffield)

George Green (Steel Fettler) is Stanleys father (sheffield)? or Chesterfield.

its Stanleys Birth/ Death I can find no record of which I have been looking for. any ideas.??

Would Stanley have to produce a birth certifiacte to get married?

Could I get hold of devorce records?

And would Stanley been sent to war?

Stanley & Rose Gripton devorced she remarried in 1945 to James Alexander Bentley. and went back to Stafford. there is a long line of Herbert Griptons which I have found.

Cindy

Further information I have Stanley & Rose lived at 44 Townhead Street, Lodging House.

Stanley's Coal office was 57 Campo Lane in 1919 I have a photo with this written on the back.

They also lived at the Reubens Head Inn at 45 Campo Lane. does any of this info help.?

cindy

Don't know if it is of interest but your Great Grandfather on the Maternal side ran a "boozer" !

Herbert Gripton, aged 26, Publican, Ruben's Head (45-47 Campo Lane), he was born in Staffordshire

Clara, his wife, also 26 was born in Sheffield

they have a kidlette born in Sheffield, Rachael, aged 6 - could your Rose actually be Rachael ?

-------------

Rose/Rachael born Jan-Mar 1896

-------------

Rose Gripton marries Stanley Green Jul-Sep 1918

-------------

Stanley would have been young for the War, but, see my posting about One Underage Mans War - William, my relative was born 1899 but saw action and was killed. www.cwgc.org is only good for those killed in action.

-------------

Struggling with the "Green" side ...

Further information I have Stanley & Rose lived at 44 Townhead Street, Lodging House.

Stanley's Coal office was 57 Campo Lane in 1919 I have a photo with this written on the back.

They also lived at the Reubens Head Inn at 45 Campo Lane. does any of this info help.?

cindy

Hahahahaha, I was typing my reply when you posted yours :rolleyes:

Now you know your GGF ran the Pub ...

The Rubens was also called the Crown & Cushion (white's 1852)

the 1901 got a few names wrong.

Racheal should have been Rose my nan

Clare should have been Charlotte Hannah(Thomas) m,y Gt. Gran

There was another Hertbert Gripton born 1900 died 2 months old my uncle

so there is 3 generations of Herberts in my family. my brother is Robert so he had a lucky escape.

cindy.

Hi Cindy, I understand why you are having difficulty !

Re Stanley's birth year, did you calculate this from his age on his wedding certificate? If so then it could be 1 or 2 years either side because often people didn't tell the truth or simply got it wrong.

In FreeBMD there are no real candidates for Stanley's birth in the West Riding of Yorks. He may of course have been born elsewhere.

I assume you have looked on the 1901 census for Stanley. I have, and at face value he doesn't seem to spring out although without knowing his mums name or where he was born its not easy to check.

I suggest you put entires on the message boards of Sheffield Family History Society

http://www.sheffieldfhs2.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?

and the Sheffield Indexers

http://sheff-indexers.thewholeshebang.org/ForumIndex.html

Someone on there may be researching the same family.

Also an entry on Rootsweb may be helpful

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=search

Somehow you need to find where he was born and his mum's name.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Good hunting, John