Muffin the mule Atkinsons

SM524

Does anyone remember the Muffin the mule ride in Atkinsons down the Moor? My kids both used to love going on him after we had shopped in Sainsburys. This was way back in the 80's, and he was old then! I 'd love to know if he's still there, as I left Sheffield in 1994.

Yeh, I remember that, it was at the bottom of the stairs near the door. My son used to ride it - and he was only born in 1996. From what I remember it was still only about 10p ! For a long tim it was only 2p !!! Bargain

Does anyone remember the Muffin the mule ride in Atkinsons down the Moor? My kids both used to love going on him after we had shopped in Sainsburys. This was way back in the 80's, and he was old then! I 'd love to know if he's still there, as I left Sheffield in 1994.

You can sleep soundly, SM524 ......... Muffin is "alive and well", or he was last week ..... I gave him a pat on the head as I walked past last week, safely stabled by the stairs.

That's good to know, thanks dr stanley. I remember every so often he got sent away on holiday and usually came back with a new lick of paint! I wonder how old he is?

Especially for SM524 and her"kids"....... here's MUFFIN!

Still only 2 pence too ..... (it must cost more than that for the electric) ..... a bargain.

Thank you sooo much Dr Stanley for going to the trouble of posting a photo of him for us, much appreciated. He's a bit different to how we remembered him. He used to have a real mane not a painted one, and we're sure he used to be cream and brown, he's looking good though for his age isn't he and still only 2p!! My girls still remember going on him as a treat if they were good while we were shopping in Sainsbury's lol !

Does anyone actually onow how old he is?? Or how long hea been there.

I rode him in the ‘70s

Great to see hes still goin strong and is still well looked after - he should be put in a musum if Atkinsons ever closes (plugged in of course). 😁

Many years ago (in the 1980s) when I did the lighting for an amateur group at the old Whitley Bay Playhouse, there was chalked on the stage right fly gallery "Is muffin the mule a sexual offence".  Any connection with your comment @docmel?

There are a few youtube videos of Muffin machines dating from the 1950s which would make them some of the earliest kiddies' rides.