Old Sheffield Shops...

Sheffield History

The major reason that I remember was that I attended City Grammar School, that was on Leopold  Street, and I passed it every day to catch the tram or bus home. 

On 14/01/2019 at 03:27, Craigio said:

Yes, Barton's sounds right.

I've remembered, Austin Reed was the menswear shop in Barkers Pool.

I remember it well. On the top floor was a barber's where my Dad used to take me to have my hair cut when I was quite small- so small that they had to put a board across the chair for me to sit on. I remember how grown-up I felt the first time that they dispensed with the board. Oddly, he never had his hair cut there - he remained faithful to a barber called Henry Wheeler in Woodhouse, near where he taught.

On 13/01/2019 at 20:03, Craigio said:

You know the little alleyway which cut through from High Street, (below The Old Blue Bell), into Hartshead Square?  It came out just above the entrance to The Dove and Rainbow.  Well when I was VERY young, in the late 60s, there was a men's hairdressers down that alleyway, on the RHS, which was THE place to get your hair cut.  Anyone know the name?

It came to me:  Lou Burgin's!  Anyone remember it?

On 13/01/2019 at 20:03, Craigio said:

(snip)...Rare and Racey on Division Street - is it still there?

unfortunately Rare & Racy closed in June 2017 :(

1 hour ago, madannie77 said:

unfortunately Rare & Racy closed in June 2017 :(

Yes, oddly enough, I drove up Division Street and Devonshire Street, for the first time in years last Friday.  Rare & Racey is still showing the old signs and shop name, but it was obviously closed down for good.

Further to previous posts in this thread, Mr, Kite's is still a wine bar/bistro type place.  I only glimpsed it as I went by, but it looked like the name was Green, (taken from Devonshire Green perhaps?).

Devonshire Street, 7th July 1981.  Rare & Racey is the last shopfront visible on the left.  I'm sure I remember the entrance to Mr. Kite's being further to the left, in the middle of the frontage.

s23137.jpg

I remember Timberland on the Moor, we'd just married so it'd be some time in 1971.

We'd taken out a mortgage on an old semi in Meersbrook, for which we'd paid the princely sum of £1450, outside loo, no bathroom and an old Ascot gas water heater over a Belfast sink in the kitchen which I replaced with a new sink unit from Timberland.

Seem to think you could hire a van from them by the hour to get your good's home?

On 06/03/2018 at 20:12, DCS1953 said:

Anyone remember Lift Up Your Skirts and Fly boutique, behind the Peace Gardens on a corner of the old roads that they flattened to build the Town Hall extension monstrosity.  The shop stocked Biba clothes, including feather boas.  Brilliant!

Hi I remember it well, my friend and I used to go in as 15 / 16 year olds. Brilliant name, although it can't have stocked original Biba clothing, unless it was second-hand. I worked at 'big' Biba on Ken High Street and also shopped the original Biba around the corner before the move. There were no franchises of Biba, although unfortunately, someone does now use the name Biba for a horrid range of clothing that bears no resemblance to the real thing (my opinion only) 

On 26/01/2019 at 13:07, southside said:

I remember Timberland on the Moor, we'd just married so it'd be some time in 1971.

We'd taken out a mortgage on an old semi in Meersbrook, for which we'd paid the princely sum of £1450, outside loo, no bathroom and an old Ascot gas water heater over a Belfast sink in the kitchen which I replaced with a new sink unit from Timberland.

Seem to think you could hire a van from them by the hour to get your good's home?

Was trying to visualise where this was, but PS came to the rescue as always. Looks like they were still going into the 80’s?

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s23188&pos=1&action=zoom&id=25646

3B58268D-29D7-4DC3-B8FD-EF7560D8C1B0.jpeg

Then there was "The Raincoat Shop".  It was on, I believe, Orchard Lane and it sold mackintoshes of all kinds.

7 hours ago, Blackmacjay said:

Then there was "The Raincoat Shop".  It was on, I believe, Orchard Lane, and it sold mackintoshes of all kinds.

:)