Where is Sheffield.....?

Guest tsavo

as regards west riding,we were told at school that the king [can't remember which 1] split the kingdom into 3 areas that could be covered on horseback from daaaarn saaaaaaaarf [london] & called them riddings---[ridings] east-west-north.thus explaining why theres no south riding.

as regards west riding,we were told at school that the king [can't remember which 1] split the kingdom into 3 areas that could be covered on horseback from daaaarn saaaaaaaarf [london] & called them riddings---[ridings] east-west-north.thus explaining why theres no south riding.

Nice story, but Riding actually comes from the Norse 'Threthingr', meaning a third, which became Thridding' which became 'Riding'. I think I like your version better though!

Re:Where is Sheffieild, a quick search is, if one imagines a cardboard cut out of a map of Scotland,Wales, and England and then imagine if one had to spin it on it's balance point , Sheffield would near enough be that point.and it's almost the most southerly place in south yorkshire, Hope this makes sense Arthur. PS,as for it's origins, read Chantryland.

I think the reason is quite simply that when the town was being established, the areas you named were villages in their own right. The joining up of all these to become the city we recognise today happened relatively recently.

Not all that recently, I think. Crookes was in the Township of Nether Hallam and that was one

of the six ancient townships within the Parish of Sheffield. Some quotes from David Hey's The Fiery Blades of Hallamshire...

"...the parishes that straddled the Pennines covered such large areas that

it was necessary to subdivide them into chapelries for ecclesiastical

purposes and into townships for civil resposibiliteis."

"For civil purposes Sheffield parish was divided into six townships

...[sheffield, Attercliffe cum Darnall, Brightside Bierlow, Ecclesall

Bierlow, Nether Hallam, Upper Hallam]... This arrangement, whereby an urban

township was surrounded by several rural ones, was typical of the large

parishes on the Pennine foothills; Leeds parish, for example, had eleven

townships and Manchester had as many as 30."

"The origins of the townships are obscure but they may well have been the

most ancient of all the units of local government which were functioning in

the early-modern period. The use of the Scandinavian word 'bierlow' for some

of the townships of south Yorkshire hints at their antiquity."

Hugh

Guest c00lh4nd

SHEFFIELD It is so named because of its origins in a field on the River Sheaf that runs through the city, so why wasn't it called sheaffield?

I suppose for the very same reason Stopford became Stockport, Lundinium became London, the locals way of saying/listening took Sheaffield to Sheffield.. But I suppose I could also ask why Stockport was was not Merseyport lol

Guest c00lh4nd

As far as Im concerned Sheffield is up North, although not as North as Newcastle etc. Im proud to be a Northerner, God forbid ever being called a Midlander, perish the thought!!!

It used to be West Riding, what was that all about. :wacko: If you draw a line from the Hull to Liverpool we are in the middle. But definately not Midland. ;-) South Yorkshire. :)

I am with Tigershark and Knightstemplar. I am half Sheffield of mining and steel stock and half cheshire of farming stock, and I am proud to gaul the southerners as a devout Northerner (Though have to admit brought up Mancunian).. lol

Better Beer

Better Humour

Tougher People

Friendlier People

Better Countryside

Better (More) Water

and above all a far better culture. :P