Where is Sheffield.....?

Guest tsavo

Yes, I know it sounds like a silly question, but where is it? Is it in the North, the Midlands or where. The BBC website usually puts it in the North but sometimes Sheffield stories appear under the Midlands. So anyone know the official position?

It makes me giggle when some web sites say that Sheffield is in the North East.

As a boy from County Durham, I can definitely say Sheffield is not in the North East.

I would plump for the North Midlands myself.

And heres another thing.......Round here we have an area called Handsworth...and another called Crookes etc but was there ever an area called Sheffield?

I know there was/is an area called Hallam so why don't we live in Hallamfield??

I think the reason is quite simply that when the town was being established, the areas you named were villages in their own right. The joining up of all these to become the city we recognise today happened relatively recently.

Another fact not often mentioned is that the postal address at one time was Sheffield, near Rotherham. Rotherham being the larger of the two towns!

And heres another thing.......Round here we have an area called Handsworth...and another called Crookes etc but was there ever an area called Sheffield?

Hallamshire !

Yes, I know it soungs like a silly question, but where is it? Is it in the North, the Midlands or where. The BBC website usually puts it in the North but it somtimes Sheffield stories appears under the Midlands. So anyone know the official position?

All I have to say is "Meersbrook" !

All I have to say is "Meersbrook" !

Or, if you prefer, Hallamshire the ancient territory, the Southernmost shire of the Anglo-Saxon territory of Northumbria ....

Guest Tigershark

As far as Im concerned Sheffield is up North, although not as North as Newcastle etc. Im proud to be a Northerner, God forbid ever being called a Midlander, perish the thought!!!

It used to be West Riding, what was that all about. :wacko: If you draw a line from the Hull to Liverpool we are in the middle. But definately not Midland. ;-) South Yorkshire. :)

Guest Uppsy_Daisy

SHEFFIELD It is so named because of its origins in a field on the River Sheaf that runs through the city, so why wasn't it called sheaffield?

SHEFFIELD It is so named because of its origins in a field on the River Sheaf that runs through the city, so why wasn't it called sheaffield?

Who named the river Sheaf :unsure:

Many years ago I was in the architects dept at Sheffield Council. One of the staff was on the phone, and his side of the conversation went

"Sheffield" pause, "Sheffield", pause, "can you find Manchester? Right, go east from Manchester. Now, can you find Leeds? Right, go south from there. Where they cross is the 4th largest city, Sheffield"

When the call was finished his colleague said "Who was that?" The reply was "Ordnance Survey Headquarters in Southampton"

The Saxon name for Sheffield was Escafeld. A common local pronunciation today is 'Sheffeld'. Say the names fast and you can see how it got from one to the other. Sheffield is a posh version!

I've read that before, not much better in English !

Grand set of Berewicks you have there Missus ...

Berewick--village or hamlet

Crime figures were down though, with only 33 villains listed!

"Throw another Villain on the fire serf, tis cold in the Great Hall tonight!"

Sorry nearly went off on one then!

Many years ago I was in the architects dept at Sheffield Council. One of the staff was on the phone, and his side of the conversation went

"Sheffield" pause, "Sheffield", pause, "can you find Manchester? Right, go east from Manchester. Now, can you find Leeds? Right, go south from there. Where they cross is the 4th largest city, Sheffield"

When the call was finished his colleague said "Who was that?" The reply was "Ordnance Survey Headquarters in Southampton"

classic lol

and for the record...it sure as hell aint the midlands :angry:

Truly brilliant Neddy, for the less well endowed intellectually (i.e. me) can you translate please ?

“In Hallam with 16 Berewicks, are 29 carucates of land to the geld. Earl Waltheof had a Hall there. There could be 20 ploughs. Roger has this land of Countess Judith. He himself has 2 ploughs there and 33 villeins having 12½ ploughs. There are 8 acres of meadow. There is woodland pasture 4 leagues long and 4 broad. The whole manor is 10 leagues long and 8 broad. In the reign of Edward it was worth 8 marks of silver; now 40s. “

A Berewick is a hamlet or estate while a carucate or plough(land) was the area that could notionally be ploughed by a team of eight oxen in an agricultural year, estimated at approximately 120 acres. On this basis, the Hallam land would amount to about three thousand acres, according to Hunter ( Hunter1819, p17). In Domesday however, these terms are used as a formulaic administrative measure, and can't be translated into accurate measurements of an actual holding on the ground. All this land was ‘to the geld’; in other words liable for tax.