Storth Hall Asylum

johnm

While indexing City Road burials for 1915 I came across 2 people who died in Storth Hall Asylum which I assume is in Sheffield.

Anyone heard of it or better still know of a picture?

John

I have now been told that Storth Hall Asylum was actually at Huddersfield and that some Sheffield folk must have been sent there.

Thanks, John

Guest Trefcon

Hi John. my refernence came from the deeds (1580) of a Gregory Revel of Stannington. They describe his land around Stannington and Rivelin, then mention the fact that Storth Hall is also mentioned.

Must be a different Storth Hall.

Dean.

Guest bearcub24

Thanks Syrup. Thats great.

John

Just to add to this, Storthes Hall is now part of Huddersfield University as student accomodation, my daughter was there in her first year. Lots of new blocks have been added but the old house still remains largely untouched.

Guest Falls

While indexing City Road burials for 1915 I came across 2 people who died in Storth Hall Asylum which I assume is in Sheffield.

Anyone heard of it or better still know of a picture?

John

Hi,

Sorry I'm late with a reply to an old topic.

Storthes Hall was a mental health facility much like the old Middlewood Hospital. It was located in Kirkburton ( 53 deg., 36', 25 N: 1deg. 43' 52''w) on, suprisingly, Storthes Hall Lane.

As a child, I spent some very happy hours around the hospital (I wasn't a patient), its spacious grounds andthe general area, during and after WWII. Family members were on staff at the hospital until the mid 1950's

During the war, the hospital didn't have a regular siren to warn of a possible raid but had a ships hooter (from an old destroyer I think). I remember being roused a couple of times by this strange "hooping" sound.

Regards