Sheffield tramps

Guest Uppsy_Daisy

Guest Uppsy_Daisy

Hi, Does anyone have any info of the well built tramp that always sat on the benches in the ole int road? He was always drunk (of course) But what made him set aside of the other tramps is that he always proudly carried his knife, fork and spoon hung up like fob watches inside his coat (just in case someone kindly offered him a square meal :) I remember talking to him and he was very funny, he thought of himself the king of sheffield tramps, reminded me of a fat fagin from oliver! Must have been in the 80's when I last saw of him.

Guest Uppsy_Daisy

HEE HEE, really I just wondered whatever happened to him? He was a really hic! jolly fellow I bet he was lost without his home.

In the late 60's there was a old guy who walked about with a dog on a rope, he also suffered from what I believe was lock jar, quite a scary bloke to us young lads.

We called him "Strangle Man"

SteveHB do you remember

In the late 60's there was a old guy who walked about with a dog on a rope, he also suffered from what I believe was lock jar, quite a scary bloke to us young lads.

We called him "Strangle Man"

SteveHB do you remember

Hi Stuart0742, yes I can remember the person a tall lanky character who .. I seem to think always wore wellingtons and a flat cap with it's neb turned up?

Perhaps to us as kids he could well have appeared old, but my late uncle was in the army with him,

so a guess would put his age then at around 50 years old.

Steve.

Hi Stuart0742, yes I can remember the person a tall lanky character who .. I seem to think always wore wellingtons and a flat cap with it's neb turned up?

Perhaps to us as kids he could well have appeared old, but my late uncle was in the army with him,

so a guess would put his age then at around 50 years old.

Steve.

I suppose calling him old was unfair, as 50's not old, well not now anyway

Hi, Does anyone have any info of the well built tramp that always sat on the benches in the ole int road? He was always drunk (of course) But what made him set aside of the other tramps is that he always proudly carried his knife, fork and spoon hung up like fob watches inside his coat (just in case someone kindly offered him a square meal :) I remember talking to him and he was very funny, he thought of himself the king of sheffield tramps, reminded me of a fat fagin from oliver! Must have been in the 80's when I last saw of him.

I think I remember him. At that time I used to be into specials, madness etc.. and I knew a few skins who knocked around sheffield especially pond st. I remember my friend who used to hang around with most of the skins all the time, introduced me to a tramp which was sitting in the hole in the road on one of the benches which were situated around the mid section, he proudly showed me his cutlery set which like you said was hanging inside his coat. What I remember he was very big built on the fattish side with glasses. But that is all I can remember, but I do remember the long trench kind coat with the cutlery. He treated these proudly like he had the crown jewels. My friend at that time did say a name, but it has completely been wiped out over the years.

I remember that on my way to work at Footprint Works (early 60's) there was a tramp who stood near the bottom of Townhead Street. He always gave the same "To see me now you wouldn't believe, that I was once -- blah blah" story and politely asked for a ha'penny towards a cup of tea. Then if he'd got enough he'd actually go in the cafe/sandwich shop (still there, called the Corner Kitchen) and buy Tea with it.

The large well made tramp that Uppsy Daisy posted sounds like the tramp who slept in a coal bunker under the car dealers Bentley Brothers.

Sadly he was found dead one morning.

PopT

Guest alfie

Anyone remember Blackbeard? same era as Cyril and Nora. Used to ride a Honda 90 with a MAHOOSIVE wooden box on the back. Didnt look like someone you'd really wanna mess with :(

Anyone remember Blackbeard? same era as Cyril and Nora. Used to ride a Honda 90 with a MAHOOSIVE wooden box on the back. Didnt look like someone you'd really wanna mess with :(

Hi and welcome alfie.

Didn't he use sit about on benches in town, mashing tea & cooking on a parafin stove,

wore a bush hat?

I seem to remember seeing him pushing it as often as I saw him riding it. :)

I remember subway Cyril Girffin, he was a real character. He was once an electrician at Firth Browns and its said he became very depressed after both his parents died. He soon lost everthing and seemed to prefer living in the centre of the city. Cyril will always be one of Sheffields most famous tramps because of how he lived in the hole in the road in the 1970s. Sadly cyril died in the doorway of BHS Haymarket in December 1976 aged 52. Its beleaved the cold weather caused his death.