Thanks to an unknown Sheffield couple.

Guest tsavo

Just back from a flying visit to the UK and a very cold, windy afternoon spent in Sheffield city centre. Used the Park & Ride on the Parkway where a very cheerful and helpful man was selling the tickets.

Got on the Supertram and we were both offered a seat rather than have to stand. How nice in a "me first" world. Made me wonder though, if I really do look decrepit?

What used to be Coles Corner is now just another boring entrance to.....? .....Nowhere.

Fargate was packed with people either wrapped up in coats and scarves or tee shirts and seemingly oblivious of the cold. The Moor seemed to have a direct connection to the North Pole. Stood opposite where I remembered Redgates to have been and after taking a photo, dived into Debenhams for a hot but sub standard cup of coffee. Slightly warmer, we fought against the wind but gave up when all facial feeling disappeared and came back toward the Town Hall at great speed propelled by the same arctic wind. Entering the relative calm of the new gardens alongside the Town Hall.....still don't know the new name but for me it will always be the Peace Gardens, and took some shots of the new, high rise, skyline. I still think that the old insurence building to the right of the new gardens is one of the best of Sheffield's original buildings, and should be proected at all costs.

The brief glimpse I had of Cambridge Street just emphasised the jumble of old buildings and styles that still remain in the centre. I just hope some (not just the best or prettiest) of these buildings survive, if only to remind future generations of the City's dark past.

To the unknown couple who gave up their seats for us, thank you again....even if you made me feel old, you gave relief to aching joints now unused to a Yorkshire winter.

Hi Tsavo, hope you've thawed out! Just to reassure you, as your pic shows, the Peace Gardens was always an unofficial name, but since the new version opened it's now the official name. The old Pru building on St Paul's Parade is now flats (sorry, apartments!) and bars, so has a new lease of life.

Hope you enjoyed your flying visit.

regards

Bayleaf

Sure did Bayleaf, but due to the amount of stuff, videos, slides and books I brought back, I ended up paying an excessive excess luggage fee! Sorry the pics are so wobbly, but I was shaking like a jelly from the cold.

On the plus side I now have my collection of archive film footage, some useful reference books and 500 or so slides of the blitz damage in the city. Well worth it I think though my other half may not agree!

PS. It was worth it just to get this, my favourite slide, taken seconds before a hasty retreat was taken by me!

Sure did Bayleaf, but due to the amount of stuff, videos, slides and books I brought back, I ended up paying an excessive excess luggage fee! Sorry the pics are so wobbly, but I was shaking like a jelly from the cold.

On the plus side I now have my collection of archive film footage, some useful reference books and 500 or so slides of the blitz damage in the city. Well worth it I think though my other half may not agree!

PS. It was worth it just to get this, my favourite slide, taken seconds before a hasty retreat was taken by me!

Strewth! Never saw one of those in the Peace gardens before! No wonder you were shaking! lol

A doorway of the Pru building with the surname of the architect,

this man

...who designed a whole series of office buildings for the Prudential, as well as Manchester Town Hall, Natural History Museum in South Kensington, Strangeways Prison etc.

(his grandfather was my 4xgt grandfather)

Hugh (Waterhouse) :)

Great picture, Hugh, which just confirms what I said - it's one of Sheffield's best. Do you know what stone was used to give this pinkish effect?

The pink/red parts are terracotta brick rather than stone.

The marble at the bottom was probably originally much more highly coloured and exciting, but has been ruined by idiots with modern chemical cleaning fluids (Boots on Fargate had a similar treatment).

Hugh