The Sheffield Star Walk

mickjj

I think it may be the 1949 walk. I know my nanan sent off for the picture because she was in it. Top right corner of the crowd is my great grandad, and left of the lamp post with the curly hair is my nanan.

Star Walk Penistone Road Sheffield.jpg

THE SHEFFIELD STAR WALK

Spectators cheering winner of Star Walk on Penistone Road in 1965.

Does anyone recognise the location?

Are these Star Walks still a thing? Does it still happen to this day or was it stopped?

It's stopped now but my grandad  Herbert bussey won it in 1936 I think it was and his eldest son  Herbert bussey in 1939. We always went in pitsmoor to cheer the runners on.  

I have merged an old topic on The Star Walk into the new one, so that the old discussion and images posted at the time can be seen without having to go searching through the forums.

I remember walking along Ringinglow Road once with Mum, heading for Whirlow Park. When a group of guys in white vests and shorts, came hurtling up the road towards the Round House, doing the most peculiar movement. Not a walk and not a run, but certainly moving at speed. Having never seen this action before, I asked Mum what they were doing, she said they were practicing for the 'STAR WALK'. - It was said they gave up doing the Star Walk, due to diminishing numbers taking part, but I was also told, health experts 'had concerns' that this style of movement, on hard tarmac roads, could cause long term damage to their hips. I guess it's possible!  

Does anybody remember Jack Warhurst from Gleadless winning the Star Walk? It was probably the mid to late 60's.

Wazzie Worrall

1 hour ago, Paul Worrall said:

Does anybody remember Jack Warhurst from Gleadless winning the Star Walk? It was probably the mid to late 60's.

Wazzie Worrall

From page #1

Wh.jpg

On 18/05/2019 at 15:25, SteveHB said:

From page #1

Wh.jpg

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the clip. Jack was a neigbour of a friend of mine and I remember him training around Gleadless in the mid 60's.

Cheers, Wazzie Worrall