Crosspool

Guest Ian Hurst

The view from pretty much the same spot today. Looks like any remains of the pillars are well and truly buried :(

The pipe from Redmires dams ended up filling the Lydgate Tank (at the end of Evelyn Road). It doesn't need a pump as Redmires dams are 328 m above sea level and Evelyn Road is 246 metres. The tank appears to have been built about 1904 - doesn't appear on 1903 map, but shows up in 1905. Not sure of the route of the pipe but I guess it might follow Vernon Terrace?

I think you can take the routing of the pipelines shown on that first map with a pinch of salt.

I know for a fact that the pipeline that serves the Ringinglow Tanks branches off the Redmires Road trunk mains at the Blackbrook Road junction. It runs along Blackbrook Road to the end, down Harrison Lane, across the fields past the Carr Houses, and along part of Wood Cliffe, over the fields again to the tanks at Ringinglow. I understand it then continues to the Norton Water Tower.

A couple of years ago it was reconditioned by breaking in to the run every 100 yards or so and scowering out the bore with a machine and then the inside of the pipe was sprayed with a lining material. This made it easy to plot the route of the pipe, just follow the big holes. :)

The several big trunk mains running down from Redmires were reconditioned a couple of years before that but they were done by pulling in slightly smaller blue plastic pipe within the existing iron pipes after breaking in to the pipe at intervals. At the same time they installed a new pipeline up from the Rivelin Treatment Works, over the fields and along Lodge Lane, then up Redmires Road to the service reservoir at the old Redmires Treatment Plant. They used this to pump treated water up from Rivelin and it enabled them to close the Redmires Plant and sell it off. The water from the three Redmires dams is simply released down the Wyming Brook for treatment at Rivelin.

Apparently cheaper to pump all that water up a big hill than pay out wages at Redmires. :huh:

HD

https://www.hpacde.o...ield/v03886.jpg

Very interesting, I've often wondered where the water went after the end of the conduit. Thought it went near the back of the old farm, but would be intrigued to find any evidence of the pillars.

Looking on old-maps.co.uk the conduit and aquaduct appear to have survived until at least 1967 but later maps show the original Tapton School with a playing field where the aquaduct was.

HD

Looking on old-maps.co.uk the conduit and aquaduct appear to have survived until at least 1967 but later maps show the original Tapton School with a playing field where the aquaduct was.

HD

I seem to remember that the school fields were used as a council tip before the schools were built in 59 60the wall at the bottom of the photo is i think part of tapton farm, demolished about 1970/71.the viaduct would have been demolished on or about 1958/61.

I think traces of the end of this aqueduct may have survived until as recently as the mid-1980s long after the original Tapton School (or was it Crosspool Secondary Modern?) and playing field; it might even be around now.

There’s a wooded depression between the lower playground of Lydgate Junior School (former Middle School), the Tapton Masonic Lodge and the new PFI Tapton School field.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=53.378093,-1.51606&spn=0.00432,0.013078&hnear=Sheffield,+South+Yorkshire,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.378184,-1.516168&panoid=rbxDaIucQ-TvwFn0EWTBiA&cbp=12,202.12,,1,1.05

It’s not public access, but as a child I’ve been down there and there’s definitely a water course that disappears down a grated hole. I seem to recall (we’re going back some time) that there were also some cut stones there which looked like they could have been the bottom of or foundation for the last few piers of an aqueduct. It wasn’t until I read this thread that it has become apparent to me the potential significance of what I saw nearly thirty years ago.

Sadly no photos.

I think traces of the end of this aqueduct may have survived until as recently as the mid-1980s long after the original Tapton School (or was it Crosspool Secondary Modern?) and playing field; it might even be around now.

There’s a wooded depression between the lower playground of Lydgate Junior School (former Middle School), the Tapton Masonic Lodge and the new PFI Tapton School field.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=53.378093,-1.51606&spn=0.00432,0.013078&hnear=Sheffield,+South+Yorkshire,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.378184,-1.516168&panoid=rbxDaIucQ-TvwFn0EWTBiA&cbp=12,202.12,,1,1.05

It’s not public access, but as a child I’ve been down there and there’s definitely a water course that disappears down a grated hole. I seem to recall (we’re going back some time) that there were also some cut stones there which looked like they could have been the bottom of or foundation for the last few piers of an aqueduct. It wasn’t until I read this thread that it has become apparent to me the potential significance of what I saw nearly thirty years ago.

Sadly no photos.

I think you will find that that was the top end of the Oak Brook which I believe used to rise in the ponds (Crosspool ?) in the dip where Selbourne Road is now. It fed an ornamental pond behind Tapton Hall ( The Masonic Hall ). This pond was filled in to form the car park but the brook can still be seen at the north end of the car park where it is culverted underground. It flows down under Fulwood Road through the grounds of Oakbrook. It joins the River Porter near Riverdale Road.

HD

I think you will find that that was the top end of the Oak Brook which I believe used to rise in the ponds (Crosspool ?) in the dip where Selbourne Road is now. It fed an ornamental pond behind Tapton Hall ( The Masonic Hall ). This pond was filled in to form the car park but the brook can still be seen at the north end of the car park where it is culverted underground. It flows down under Fulwood Road through the grounds of Oakbrook. It joins the River Porter near Riverdale Road.

HD

The brook was the source of a pollution incident some years ago when heating oil being delivered to the Hall overflowed into the pond and thence into the brook and down into the Porter. Fortunately it was reported quickly and a boom placed on the Porter immediately by the confluence which more or less stopped the worst of the pollution affecting the Porter.