Crosspool

Guest Ian Hurst

Guest Ian Hurst

I’ve had a look through most of the postings on this forum and can’t see a great deal about Crosspool.

I’m sure I’ve seen a post about the Gentleman who lived in Lydgate Hall and was later buried in a mausoleum near Moscar, but very little else.

Is there any other information about Lydgate Hall? I’ve seen the photo of the derelict hall on Picture Sheffield.

Is there anything about Wesley Tower/Mount Zion? Again, there are plenty of photos on Picture Sheffield but I can’t find any more information.

I seem to recall that the park at the top of Lydgate Lane was once a rope works and possibly a quarry.

My house (in Crosspool) was built in around 1908. I used to have an old map of the area from the late 1800’s that I have managed to lose. I would love to get hold of a copy again.

Apart from the farming, the mining at Bell Hagg (it surprised me no end when I had to have a mining search done when I bought my house back in 1993. I was even more surprised to find that there was mining in the area.) and the coaching inns, what else happened in Crosspool?

If I recall the old map correctly, there seems to have been quite a few pockets of mainly terraced houses dotted around the area. Who did they house, the miners and farm workers?

I understand that Crookes largely developed as a ‘holiday resort’ for people from the dirtier areas of Sheffield wanting to get above the smoke up by the dams. What caused the expansion of Crosspool? Was it simply the expansion of the City like many of the other suburbs?

I apologise, but I’ve asked a lot of questions there. Picture Sheffield has a lot of excellent and fascinating images of Crosspool, but I am struggling to find much ‘written’ history of the area. I would be most grateful for any help.

Thanks

Ian

Yes the person you refer to is Horatio Bright who spent the last years of his life at Lydgate Hall, He and his family were interred initially at a mausoleum at Moscar Top but persistent vandalism in the early 1980's led to the bodies being buried in Crookes Cemetery which is more or less adjacent to long demolished Lydgate Hall.

An account of the Bright family can be found on

http://www.chrishobbs.com/horatiobright.htm

Yes the person you refer to is Horatio Bright ...

Horatio Bright Clerk Broomgrove Road White's 1852

Horatio Bright Lydgate Hall, Manchester Road Kelly's 1893

also Henry Jackson, coachman to Horatio Bright Esq (Lydgate Hall), Henry lived at 57 Lydgate Lane in 1893 (Kelly's)

... I seem to recall that the park at the top of Lydgate Lane was once a rope works and possibly a quarry...

Quarries :

John Naylor, Stone quarry owner, Crookes and Lydgate (White's 1849)

Jonathan Sanderson, Quarry owner, Lydgate, Nether Hallam (White's 1849 and 1852)

Earliest "prominent" residents I could find, there's nowt else but Farmers etc till 1893.

John Marsh, merchant and manufacturer (Marshes and Shepherd), home Lydgate White's 1849

same person, Marsh Brother & Co. White's 1852

also

Thomas Wigfall Eaton & Co, manufacturers of table and spring knives, silver and plated desserts.

19 New Church Street, home Lydgate

any pictures of the Lydgate quaries or their owners would be gratefully appreciated, I had a relation who was a quary owner on Lydgate lane, I think they were also landlords of the Hallamshire hotel on Lydgate lane at some point.

I've been doing some work lately on the reconstructed maps from the 1637 Harrison Survey of Sheffield, adding the field and place names from the survey, mainly concentrating on the Porter Valley, but one of the maps touches on Crosspool. Here it is if it's any interest.

I had a relation who was a quary owner on Lydgate lane, I think they were also landlords of the Hallamshire hotel on Lydgate lane at some point.

What year are we talking please ?

They weren't called "Bolton" by any chance ??

What year are we talking please ?

They weren't called "Bolton" by any chance ??

Hi

They were Sandersons, but Sandersons seem to inhabit half of crosspool in the mid to late 1800s and early 1900s

Guest Ian Hurst

Thank you for your welcome to the forum and all of the responses.

The map from Bayleaf is fascinating. I am so used to picking out Manchester Road as a landmark when I look at a map, and it simply isn’t there. That would correspond with a previous post where a prominent lady had to travel to Sheffield via Redmires. The road marked as Church Lane would now be Sandygate. If the road heading down (sorry, I’m picturing this area physically. It is up on the map) from Church Lane is Coldwell Lane, then Wine House Croft stood roughly where Hallam FC is now. Perhaps a bit further up the hill.

Does anyone know when Lydgate Hall was actually built and who it was built for?

Chris Hobbs website mentions the following:-

“Incidentally, attached to the entry for5 Lydgate Hall is one for the Lodge which is occupied by Horatio's 38 year old coachman and groom Christopher Carlton, his wife Clara who his nine years younger than him, and his 8 year old son Percy.”

Does anyone know roughly where the Lydgate Hall lodge was? Was it demolished at the same time as the Hall?

Lydgate or Lidiate Hall was in existence in the early part of the 18th century, it is recorded that Nathaniel Eyre, married Jane Broomhead, daughter of John Broomhead of Lidiate Hall, near Sheffield in 1720.

The hall was later inhabitted by Horatio Bright, as above, it is noted that Horatio used to drive from Lygate Hall in the morning using 4 black horses and return in the afternoon behing 4 greys.

I’ve had a look through most of the postings on this forum and can’t see a great deal about Crosspool.

I’m sure I’ve seen a post about the Gentleman who lived in Lydgate Hall and was later buried in a mausoleum near Moscar, but very little else.

Is there any other information about Lydgate Hall? I’ve seen the photo of the derelict hall on Picture Sheffield.

Is there anything about Wesley Tower/Mount Zion? Again, there are plenty of photos on Picture Sheffield but I can’t find any more information.

I seem to recall that the park at the top of Lydgate Lane was once a rope works and possibly a quarry.

My house (in Crosspool) was built in around 1908. I used to have an old map of the area from the late 1800’s that I have managed to lose. I would love to get hold of a copy again.

Apart from the farming, the mining at Bell Hagg (it surprised me no end when I had to have a mining search done when I bought my house back in 1993. I was even more surprised to find that there was mining in the area.) and the coaching inns, what else happened in Crosspool?

If I recall the old map correctly, there seems to have been quite a few pockets of mainly terraced houses dotted around the area. Who did they house, the miners and farm workers?

I understand that Crookes largely developed as a ‘holiday resort’ for people from the dirtier areas of Sheffield wanting to get above the smoke up by the dams. What caused the expansion of Crosspool? Was it simply the expansion of the City like many of the other suburbs?

I apologise, but I’ve asked a lot of questions there. Picture Sheffield has a lot of excellent and fascinating images of Crosspool, but I am struggling to find much ‘written’ history of the area. I would be most grateful for any help.

Thanks

Ian

Here is a picture taken before the Hall became derelict.

Hi Ian

In reply to your question on Lydgate Hall.Lydgate Hall was behind the Crosspool Tavern on what is now Lydgate Hall cresent,more info can be found about Crosspool in a book by Judith Hanson simply called Crosspool published by Tempus Publising Limited The Mill Brinscombe Port Stroud Gloucestershire GL5 2QG.

Hi Ian

In reply to your question on Lydgate Hall.Lydgate Hall was behind the Crosspool Tavern on what is now Lydgate Hall cresent,more info can be found about Crosspool in a book by Judith Hanson simply called Crosspool published by Tempus Publising Limited The Mill Brinscombe Port Stroud Gloucestershire GL5 2QG.

There is also some good information in the following book 'Crookes Revisited, published by Crookes Local History Group in 1989 (ISBN 0 9508064 1 2)' I am not sure if it still in print though.

Guest janice844

I used to live on Vernon Terrace at Crosspool, in one of the small terraces that you mentioned, I wondered why such houses existed, in what I consider to be quite a 'posh' area, so I went to the central library to find out. I discovered that the houses had been occupied by all the servants for Tapton (Masonic) Hall on Shore Lane. My house had housed the laundresses and my neighbours housed the coachman, (replaced later by the chauffeur), the gardeners and such - I always like to know the history of my houses and of course now it's much easier with the internet and sites like this one.

I used to live on Vernon Terrace at Crosspool, in one of the small terraces that you mentioned, I wondered why such houses existed, in what I consider to be quite a 'posh' area, so I went to the central library to find out. I discovered that the houses had been occupied by all the servants for Tapton (Masonic) Hall on Shore Lane. My house had housed the laundresses and my neighbours housed the coachman, (replaced later by the chauffeur), the gardeners and such - I always like to know the history of my houses and of course now it's much easier with the internet and sites like this one.

Hi Janice

Did you know that Tapton Hall was once owned by Mr Shore (as in Shore Lane) who was Florence Nightingale's uncle?

Guest Ian Hurst

Hi Janice,

I would love to know what resources you found at the Central Library that told you the Vernon Terrace houses were occupied by Tapton Hall staff.

From looking at old maps, the houses on Vernon Terrace and the bottom end of Tapton Bank were certainly around in the late 1800's, but the houses further up Tapton Bank, near the bend and heading up to Tapton Hill Road, don't appear until the early 1900's. I wonder who the new houses were built for? Strangely enough, the older houses are entirely brick built whereas the newer houses (if you can call 100 years old "newer") have stone fronts.

I also noticed a stone plaque on one of the houses at the bottom end of Tapton Bank (on the even number side) saying "Carlton Place". I wonder what that signifies?

Regards

Ian

I think I read somewhere there used to be a quarry on Selborne Road.

One of the partners lived on the end of Benty Lane, he was the proud father of twins who were very popular in his day.

He strted another firm in Sheffield which is still in business.

I think the other partner was William Marsden who once owned the 3 Merry Lads which was named after his three sons.

I wish I could find out the information for you but it is in amongst my ruins somewhere but someone will either verify what I have posted or put the record straight.

Happy Days!

Yes the person you refer to is Horatio Bright who spent the last years of his life at Lydgate Hall, He and his family were interred initially at a mausoleum at Moscar Top but persistent vandalism in the early 1980's led to the bodies being buried in Crookes Cemetery which is more or less adjacent to long demolished Lydgate Hall...

This morning I decided to see if the mausoleum at Moscar is still there. At one time you could see it from the road among the trees, but it is hard to see now as the area is so overgrown with small trees, rhododendrons etc. After negotiating some boggy ground and ducking under branches (a machete might have come in useful) I found the mausoleum more-or-less intact surrounded by its railings. The doorway and window-arches have been sealed up and the chimney cowl which used to grace the apex of the roof is now on the ground at one corner, see photo.

Ian

Years ago I heard a story relating to the history of The Bell Hag.

It's a good story (if it's true) about rivalry and revenge.

I'm trying to find out the source to refresh my memory.

If I do I'll post.

Maybe someone else already knows and can help out.

One thing i remember hearing is that it was originaly just a house. When it became a pub I'm not sure.

Where did the water go?

The leat that now runs from Redmires reservoir ends near Crimicar Lane-but used to go through Ranmoor and finish in what is now the sports field of King Edward VII school in Crosspool.

Where did this water then go?

I used to have a a Yorkshire Water map of water distribution for Sheffield but I think it post dated the leat.

Was there a pipe/tunnel( and pump) to the top of Lydgate Lane/Evelyn Road reservoir?

Was there a pipe/tunnel to the reservoir off Crookes Road?

Maybe it went down Manchester Road or to Fulwood Road?

The pipe from Redmires dams ended up filling the Lydgate Tank (at the end of Evelyn Road). It doesn't need a pump as Redmires dams are 328 m above sea level and Evelyn Road is 246 metres. The tank appears to have been built about 1904 - doesn't appear on 1903 map, but shows up in 1905. Not sure of the route of the pipe but I guess it might follow Vernon Terrace?

From the Independent August 28 1847:

“In the case of the death of Joseph Finningley, caused by falling into the shaft of a coalpit, at Crosspool, the property of Mr. W. Spooner, it should have been stated that the property is in the occupation of a tenant named Gosney, who removed his working tools only the day before the inquest, and who was under a contract to keep up the fences.”

William Gosney had a coal pit at Clough Fields (near Delf House) in 1844 and was the victim of a theft of coal from his pit-hill.

There was another Joseph Finningley living at Crosspool – he also was not one of life’s winners…

From the Independent December 1 1855:

“THE EVILS OF BAD DRAINAGE.—On Tuesday, Mr. Badger, Coroner. held an inquest at the King's Arms, Crosspool, on the body of Hannah Finningley, aged 41 years, wife of Joseph Finningley, cutler, Stephen hill, Upper Hallam. The deceased died on Sunday, of typhus fever. She had lived in one of a cluster of cottages in an elevated situation, which, commanding extensive prospects, might by the exercise of ordinary sanatory precautions, be rendered extremely salubrious. These precautions, however, have been altogether neglected, no provision having been made to carry away the drainage and refuse. In the rear of the houses, consequently, is a bog of filth, emitting an insufferable stench ; added to which are, adjacent to the cottages, privies with open cesspools, in a most neglected condition. ...

The deceased was attacked with fever three weeks before her death, and on the 13th inst. her husband called in Mr. Fox, medical botanist….[who prescribed her a] decoction of one kind of herbs to operate upon the nervous system, and of another kind—viz., yarrow, hyssop, and penny royal—to sweat away the fever. He also gave certain directions as to ventilating and purifying the room. On his second visit, be prescribed a botanic mixture, to be taken in addition to the decoction previously ordered and also recommended the use of red Jamaica sarsapariila...

The Rev. C. E. Coombe, incumbent of Crookes, on making a pastoral visit, found the woman in a wretched state, and took steps to procure her the attentions of Mr. Knowlton Wilson, the union surgeon for the district. Mr. Wilson attended the deceased daily from the 20th ult., and prescribed for her; but the husband having more faith in medical botany than allopathy, declined to comply with the surgeons directions, and trusted his wife (as also his four children and brother- in-law, who were attacked in turn, and on Tuesday lay in a dangerous state) to the treatment of Mr. Fox.

The circumstance of the filth surrounding deceased's dwelling, and the fact that she had died under Mr. Fox’s treatment, led to the matter being brought under the notice of the Coroner, and to the judicial examination. Mr. Wilson deposed to finding the deceased labouring under typhus fever of the worst form. He prescribed both for her and the children, and ordered that deceased take wine freely. He also prescribed a mercurial liniment. The husband would not permit it to he used, and still refused to have it applied to the children. Mr. Wilson considered that the deceased had been deprived of the chance of recovery by not being properly attended to, and that the medicines given by Mr. For were calculated rather to aggravate than allay her symptoms. He could not, however, say that they were the cause of death, for the patient might have died under the best of treatment. He attributed this and other attacks of fever, under which the occupants of the cottages had suffered, to the horrid nuisance adjoining their dwellings.

The Jury returned a verdict that deceased had died from typbus fever, resulting from imperfect drainage; and accompanied their verdict with a request. to the Coroner and foreman, (Mr. Marsh, of Pond lane Works,) to take steps for the removal of the nuisance."

I think I'd have preferred the herbalist's prescription, rather than the surgeon's recommendation of wine and mercury!

Mr Fox's "Family Botanic Guide "is available here:

http://archive.org/stream/workingmansfamil00foxwuoft#page/n5/mode/2up

The original open conduit from the Redmires Dams and dating from the 1830's, flowed by gravity all the way to a point where the Tapton School playing fields are now located.

At this point it crossed a small valley in a raised aquaduct before entering an enclosed pipe which ran by gravity to the then large open reservoir opposite the Grindstone Pub at Crookes. This was originally called The Pisgah Dam ( Hebrew for high place), before being called the Hadfield Dam.

This open dam remained until just after WW2 when it was drained and a much smaller covered service reservoir was built on the north part of the old dam. The rest of the dam was filled in and became the Waterworks Playing Field until partly developed for housing recently.

There are photo's of the dam on Picture Sheffield and a painting by Sheffield artist Stanley Royle shows the view of Sheffield over the dam.

Apparently Yorkshire Water intend to get rid of the Tapton and Crookes Service Reservoirs in the near future and the sites are earmarked on the Council's potential housing development register.

HD

PS There is a photo of the raised aquaduct in a snowy scene on Picture Sheffield at v03886 if some kind link fairey could sort it. Ta !

HD