Whatever happen to......

Guest Uppsy_Daisy

Guest Uppsy_Daisy

I have a book called Sheffield Old and New (the new not so new now) by J. Edward Vickers and it is interesting seeing what used to be built here and there compared to now or then. But looking back at that magnificent Church they sadly pulled down, it doesn't say what they did to St Pauls dead people? Did they move the bodies when they pulled the church down and made the peace gardens? or are they still under there? and do they still have the student rag days? I used to love those rag joke books that they used to sell in town. and finally what happened to Lizzie Ward in the end?

Guest Uppsy_Daisy

Looking through the book the buildings of old puts to shame the buildings that has been erected in their place. Most of Sheffield is now ugly. I know that most of the buildings was gutted in the blitz, but the ones that they rebuilt is cheap, tacky and a downright embarrassment to the one that was there originally. Whoever the architect was, should be ashamed of themselves! (They probably wasn't from sheffield anyway!)

I have a book called Sheffield Old and New (the new not so new now) by J. Edward Vickers and it is interesting seeing what used to be built here and there compared to now or then. But looking back at that magnificent Church they sadly pulled down, it doesn't say what they did to St Pauls dead people? Did they move the bodies when they pulled the church down and made the peace gardens? or are they still under there? and do they still have the student rag days? I used to love those rag joke books that they used to sell in town. and finally what happened to Lizzie Ward in the end?

There was quite a long thread about St Paul's a few months ago, try doing a search. As to rag days, I've lived here for 62 years, and remember when the students used to take over the centre of town, as well as the 'Twikker' rag mag. I seem to remember it won awards as the best rag mag in the country several times. There are even more students here now, 40,000 or so they say, and 2 universities, but I couldn't tell you whether they still have the Rag, if they do it must be very low key!

Lizzie the elephant and the records are full of anecdotes about her - eating a schoolboy's cap, putting her trunk through a kitchen window to help herself, and pushing over a traction engine. She was leased (and a man to look after it) from a circus to Thomas Ward when there was a shortage of horses which had been sent to the Front and in 1916 Circuses had been stood down for the duration of the war. The firm had the elephant for a couple of years, stabling her near the factory and using her for hauling heavy loads of steel around Sheffield. But she probably died of old age in the circus.

Guest Uppsy_Daisy

There was quite a long thread about St Paul's a few months ago, try doing a search. As to rag days, I've lived here for 62 years, and remember when the students used to take over the centre of town, as well as the 'Twikker' rag mag. I seem to remember it won awards as the best rag mag in the country several times. There are even more students here now, 40,000 or so they say, and 2 universities, but I couldn't tell you whether they still have the Rag, if they do it must be very low key!

Hi Bayleaf, thanks for taking the time to reply to my post. Its a shame they don't do the rag mag anymore, another sheffield uniqueness turned to ash! I remember taking turns to read the mag with my friends whom we all was under age and thought the dirty ones were best ;-) probably the students nowadays doesn't have those sense of humour anymore? or the time! What with all the paper work that goes on nowadays. I have searched around about st pauls, but all is just assuming and not the proper facts. I love the picture of st pauls, Its one of the best and one of the most surreal of sheffl! I won't be able to walk past the peace gardens without awe, imagining what the church would have looked like right there, here and now! Looking at the old pictures it looks eeriely but magical, makes me want to relive those times, but saying that all those old pictures and old buildings makes me feel like that.

Also a thankyou to Draco who has also taken the time to tell me a few facts about Lizzie Ward..I certainly will be looking around for some of those anecdotes! I bet she was a lark sithee!

The last rag that I can remember was around 1994....I heard on the news that Sheffield Supertram was going to stop running at seven oclock that night as there were fears that drunken students would climb the trampoles and get electrocuted.

I'm sure they still have rag weeks but no doubt health and safety will have put paid to some of the fun.