Did your relatives run a Pub ?

RichardB

I've got details of quite a few Pubs now (!), many with Landlords/Ladies going back to the 1820's. Details required from 18th Century to 1950's, no "Pig and Whistle" or "Blackberry, iPhone and Wildebeest" please.

I've got next to nothing from Census records yet, been busy with 1837 and 1871 Trade Directories of late. Makes for interesting conversation with " 'er indoors" :

'er : What you doing ?

Me : Reading about Pubs in Sheffield

'er: What year ?

Me : 1871

'er : "Oh ..."

If you have relatives that ran a pub, please post whatever details you have here, names, dates, addresses, details e.g. Census record, Rate Book, Trade Directory, Birth, Marriage, Death Certificate.

Beerhouse information also required, especially if the Beerhouse had a name; many went on to become Pubs in their own right.

All details will be compiled into a big "lump" and made available here. See previous Sheffield Pubs thread for Sheffield Pubs and Sheffield Beerhouses postings, posted Christmas 2007.

Many Thanks.

I've got details of quite a few Pubs now (!), many with Landlords/Ladies going back to the 1820's. Details required from 18th Century to 1950's, no "Pig and Whistle" or "Blackberry, iPhone and Wildebeest" please.

I've got next to nothing from Census records yet, been busy with 1837 and 1871 Trade Directories of late. Makes for interesting conversation with " 'er indoors" :

If you have relatives that ran a pub, please post whatever details you have here, names, dates, addresses, details e.g. Census record, Rate Book, Trade Directory, Birth, Marriage, Death Certificate.

Beerhouse information also required, especially if the Beerhouse had a name; many went on to become Pubs in their own right.

All details will be compiled into a big "lump" and made available here. See previous Sheffield Pubs thread for Sheffield Pubs and Sheffield Beerhouses postings, posted Christmas 2007.

Many Thanks.

My Great Grand Father's brother was George Thomas Reeves, he was a publican as follows

Commercial Hotel 119 Carver Street, Sheffield - 1901 Census

Beer & Wine House, 11 Matilda Street, Sheffield - 1902 Whites Diretory

Ye Woodman P/H, South Street, Sheffield - 1903 - 1910 Kellys

Old Cross Scythes Totley 1912 - 1913 Kellys

Rising Sun, Hermitage Street - 1919 - 1925 Kellys

There are a few gaps, still looking for them

My Grandparents had the Sportsman pub on Denby Street (off Bramhall Lane)

They are long since passed away (as is my Dad) so I do not know the precise dates, but know he was a young kid at the time so it would have been somewhere between 1922 and 1935 - 7

Their names were Edward Michael Melluish and Nellie Melluish

My Grandma and Grandad ran a pub called The Sheaf Tavrn. It was to the right of the Royal Vivtoria Hotel approach, I remember as a child walking past the old Wards Brewery on our way to the pub and the smell of the hops as we passed! The pub was just yards behind a small petrol station and at the side of George Bonsalls { either a lorry company or a large tyre place-cant really remember} My Grandparents names were Arthur and Lillian Upton and all i know is that my Grandfather died in 1962 aged 52 and my Grandmother died in 1966. They had the pub for approx 25 years, before them my great grandparents had it and their surnames were Beaumont but dont konw much more than this. Can anyone remember any of this? i'm quite excited about recieving any replies !!!!!!

Guest gosling

My grandparents Ernest & Laura Gosling ran the Omnibus on Attercliffe Rd in the early 1940s

My great grandparents Wlliam & Ann Day ran the Station on Attercliffe Rd some time in the late 1800s

My great grandparents Albert & Elizabeth Gosling ran the Castle in the early 1900s but I have never been able to find where it was except that it was in the area of the Moor

Guest JJL's mum

My Great Grandfather and Grandmother ran the Sportsman on Barnsley Road, probably around 1918-1920. They were called Ralph and Ethel Hazlehurst. My Grandma used to love telling me how she was made to walk around the bowling green having eaten bread dough one afternoon. They also ran a pub on Spital Hill (possibly The Kings Head - just up from where the car spares place used to be just up from the Wicker Arches) this was before they had the Sportsman possibly around 1907 - 1908. He used to serve coffee to the workers early in the mornings.

Guest Aliciamont

Many Thanks.

Hi

I'm new to the site and not sure how to insert Images.I have one of my Gt Uncle outside The Malin Pub about 1930.When I try to insert it asks for the URL file name.Not sure what this is.

I'm sure someone will be able to help

Thank you

My Grandma and Grandad ran a pub called The Sheaf Tavrn. It was to the right of the Royal Vivtoria Hotel approach, I remember as a child walking past the old Wards Brewery on our way to the pub and the smell of the hops as we passed! The pub was just yards behind a small petrol station and at the side of George Bonsalls { either a lorry company or a large tyre place-cant really remember} My Grandparents names were Arthur and Lillian Upton and all i know is that my Grandfather died in 1962 aged 52 and my Grandmother died in 1966. They had the pub for approx 25 years, before them my great grandparents had it and their surnames were Beaumont but dont konw much more than this. Can anyone remember any of this? i'm quite excited about recieving any replies !!!!!!

Hi Lox

My ancester owned the Sheaf Tavern when it was first built in 1825, that's if it's the same one that was standing when

your relatives were in. They called him Septimus Cornthwaite . He left it to his brother John in his will when he died in

1833. I wish I had a picture of it.

Guest plain talker

I had two aunts and uncles who ran pubs in Sheffield (honorary ones, that is)

the Sheaf View was run by my Aunt Yvonne and Uncle Roger Bain in the Seventies, before they moved away from Sheffield.

My uncle Malcolm ran the New Inn on Hemsworth Road, in the seventies.

A relative of my late father whos name was Fred Hobson ran the Cross Daggers Woodhouse must have been in the late 40s or 50s it was in the time when the beer was still drawn from the wood :rolleyes: