New 'Iconic' Bridge for Sheffields Parkway

SteveHB

Oh dear, I had previously seen another example with a triangle construction. Where on the Parkway is it going? Please dont let it be on my way to work, pleeese. :(

Unfortunately it is directly on my route see

Iconic bridge

From another angle

another angle

Right you lot we can't call it the Iconic bridge can we. Any suggestions, The Ringo, The Polo. That is just for starters. he he

Right you lot we can't call it the Iconic bridge can we. Any suggestions, The Ringo, The Polo. That is just for starters. he he

We had better find out where THEY are buying the steel from before we Rename it???.

We should think oruselves lucky it could have been this

rusty bridge

sorry designers but this one is ugly.

We have to remember that the bridge is to replace the most dangerous crossing in Britain, I used to cross it when I was a kid to get to the top of High Hazels park until my mum found out. Then we had to walk down to Olivers mount and walk up tthe steep hill the top of the park, not as much fun. Alternative route under the railway bridge, please note electrified line at the time, parents soon found out about that then back to the long walk down to the bottom of the park and up the hill.

We should think oruselves lucky it could have been this

rusty bridge

sorry designers but this one is ugly.

Crikey that's a relief. Actually I quite like the one they've chosen. Just watch, if it meets with public approval Sheffield Council will claim the credit, if it's unpopular it will be Rotherham's fault!

Yes depending where the steel is "manufactured"

It could be the:

Nippon Ring

Tatra Ring

All American Ring

Teutonic Ring

Form a Circlular You'll Never Know

I think according to the border it is in Rotherham not Sheffield. The trans pennine trail that it links up with it goes nearby my house so I might use it occasionally walking the dog or cycling.

I think it is growing on me. I do like most new bridges.

I have emailed Tim Norlund to see if he knows who the suppliers of the steel are.

Email from Tim Norlund says

"We have not yet decide exactly which companies we will get the materials from. Steel is the main material used in the bridge. The fact that Sheffield always has been known for steel production was actually a big part of our decision to make the ring and most of the structure of steel. Because of this I would like to use as much local materials as possible. From a sustainable point of view it's also important to use local materials.

We haven't discussed suppliers yet in the project team or with the client."

Looks like they are at least thinking of a Sheffield supplier. Hope he doesn't mind me telling you all.

Sue

OOH OOH....I've got a good name for it which will bring the old and the young of Sheffield together..

Give it thirty minutes or so till the builders have gone and the local ferrel kids have been down there and then we wil be able to call it..

The hole in the Graffitti.

Hasn't quite got the same ring as hole in the road but I think it 'll be just as apt.

seeing as I messed posting this bit up with a double post I will replace it with something inteligent (probably spelt it wrong)

The Waverley estate planned for nearby

Waverley

I wonder if they are going to build it on high ground.

Yes Hjdary. At least steel is easy to clean. I have one worry though if the sun shines as it did this morning it will blind most of the motorists coming into Sheffield.

Tim Norlund the architect emailed me back the next morning very impressive, if you would like to put your point of view or suggestion forward I am sure he would be greatful

tim@norlundarchitects.com

Oh dear, I had previously seen another example with a triangle construction. Where on the Parkway is it going? Please dont let it be on my way to work, pleeese. :(

Unfortunately it is directly on my route see

Iconic bridge

From another angle

another angle

You can see the other shortlisted here:

http://darnallforum.blogspot.com/2007/12/p...dge-design.html

They chose the worst one from all shortlisted. Most usual, ordinary design. Which one would you choose?

I think it looks pretty impressive...

Of course, it wont last long before some nobhead has come along with a can of paint and defaced it......

Actually, looking at some of the other designs, they do seem to have played it safe a bit don't they? lol

I would have gone for the 'corkscrew' one :)