1884 Engravings

Guest Smiling-Knife

Guest Smiling-Knife

Scanned from a Harpers magazine article dated 1884. A 16 page article; the first half generally about Sheffield and second half about the cutlery industry. I don't know if I can post the whole article but I will try on the weekend. For now, I hope you enjoy a selection of engravings. Does anyone recognise the building in the second engraving... maybe one of the big firms Wostenholm or Rodgers perhaps?

Does anyone recognise the building in the second engraving... maybe one of the big firms Wostenholm or Rodgers perhaps?

Joseph Rodgers and Sons, Norfolk Street but I only do Pubs ... probably ... lol

Rodgers and Sons, Norfolk Street - frontage 150 feet, three storeys plus basement.

Cutlery display room 45 feet long by 21 feet 6 inches.

Silver and plated articles display 54 feet by 20

from Illustrated Guide to Sheffield - Pawson and Brailsford (1862)

S'pose we need to know when it was built ...

Guest Smiling-Knife

Thanks again for the information. I'm not sure when Rodgers moved to No. 6 Norfolk street but I have that information at home. I'm working at the moment ;-) The 'current' showrooms and offices were build in 1860 I believe.

Guest Smiling-Knife

In 1730s the company was based in Sycamore street. After 1775, it gradually expanded to a nearby block of buildings and was based at No 6 Norfolk street. By 1850s the works consisted of a full block bounded by Norfolk, Flat, Milk and Sycamore streets. The 'new' showrooms were built in 1862. Under 5 Sovereigns (web material) reports 1860 as the year for the construction of the new showrooms.

Source Geoffrey Tweedale, The Sheffield Knife Book (1995)