The Hole In The Road Sheffield

Sheffield History

Guest busy lizzy

Forgot to ask, is any of it still left underground?

The tunnels and passages?

They would be great to explore?

Guest plain talker

Forgot to ask, is any of it still left underground?

The tunnels and passages?

They would be great to explore?

Sorry, no, there's nothing left,.

It was all filled in because the supertram track was to run over the top of it, so the rubble from the demolition of Hyde Park Flats was used to fill in the void.

This was the H-I-T-R under construction. You can see the tunnels which led to the underground shops and entrances to Walshes, C&A and the Co-Op etc.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;v03422&pos=28&action=zoom&id=44676

These images were both taken from the same place (Walshes/ TJ Hughes store) overlooking the H-I-T-R being filled in:-

Before:- http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s02399&pos=52&action=zoom&id=6082

After:- http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s02398&pos=51&action=zoom&id=6081

Thank you for the welcome :) glad i'm not alone in lunacy

Thank you for the welcome & reply :)

I'm glad to have an answer cos I was very close to calling into Primark & asking the staff (& seeing as most are younger than me would be like 'there was a HOLE in the ROAD?!' which is exactly what a 15year old said when I mentioned it in conversation about trams) if I could have a wander in the basement to see for myself. I never knew thats where the door led in TJs if i had i'd probably have got arrested trying to get through it :unsure:

So glad I found this site cos I have loads of questions about Sheffield from when I was young & I now know I won't be judged by asking them lol

Ask away, by the way, Busy lizzie, pretty much any question about "old" Sheffield can probably be answered by most of the members on here, they are a wealth of information. (God! I feel so old, now... :( ! the HITR was only just over 40 years ago! lol)

Guest mjra1983

I used to love the hole in the road as a little girl in the 80's with my nan to meet my mum who worked at both Schofields and Rackhams which became house of Fraser when sheffield had some half decent shops! I remember the fish tank well, I imagine the hole in the road in the 80's wasn't its heyday but I still loved it!

On 03/03/2013 at 1:01 PM, plain talker said:

Sorry, no, there's nothing left,.

I'm not so sure. I remember them putting support braces in the tunnels, bricking up the entrance to them and filling in the the main hole. They only filled in the ramps / escalators / steps leading down.

I remember seeing a post somewhere,at the time the hole was being filled in, which showed a dump truck emerging from what looked like a tunnel towards cockanes and questioning why they were putting in a shaft with a manhole in the centre of the hole as it was being filled

2 minutes ago, miffa8 said:

I remember seeing a post somewhere,at the time the hole was being filled in, which showed a dump truck emerging from what looked like a tunnel towards cockanes and questioning why they were putting in a shaft with a manhole in the centre of the hole as it was being filled

Oooooh that's a good one

Trick now is to find the photo

2 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

Oooooh that's a good one

Trick now is to find the photo

Just found these,definitely shows a manhole,,,why would that be needed if they are just filling a hole,,no sewers etcimage.jpeg.3d620bdb14c6419a7120570d4ede0d55.jpeg

image.jpeg

14 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

Ah yeah!

Wonder if that's some kind of power routing?

lolMaybe, but  no doubt some one will be out at night now lifting all the manhole covers around the area,,hope they let us know what they find

Shame they let it get run down . No idea why all the other subways in the city centre were also filled in, apart from the one left near the fiesta but its no where near as busy as it was back in the 90s.

They should never have filled in the subway from Pinstone Street to the Moor, plus the one from the bottom of Howard Street (that was rarely used back in the 90s) to the Midland Train Station . 

6 hours ago, WestTinsley said:

Shame they let it get run down . No idea why all the other subways in the city centre were also filled in, apart from the one left near the fiesta but its no where near as busy as it was back in the 90s.

They should never have filled in the subway from Pinstone Street to the Moor, plus the one from the bottom of Howard Street (that was rarely used back in the 90s) to the Midland Train Station . 

They were becoming very unsafe 'no go' areas, where all kinds of crime took place.

They also stank pretty badly towards the end as they were used as toilets

• Like 1

On 03/09/2017 at 17:34, miffa8 said:

Just found these,definitely shows a manhole,,,why would that be needed if they are just filling a hole,,no sewers etcimage.jpeg.3d620bdb14c6419a7120570d4ede0d55.jpeg

image.jpeg

There was a drainage system under the HITR, otherwise when it rained it would have just filled up, so access is still needed to it. I would guess the props were installed to help support the roof. No amount of fill is going to support the ground above unless it is compacted, and you can't do that in existing tunnels. Over time the building rubble would settle, and Castle Square would start to sink!

There was a problem on Park Square some years ago after the Supertram works, one of the 100 foot high street lights started to lean due to the ground settling near the new bridge at Commercial Street, we had to install a new concrete base a few metres away and move the mast.

3 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

They were becoming very unsafe 'no go' areas, where all kinds of crime took place.

They also stank pretty badly towards the end as they were used as toilets

I never saw anything untoward. 

The one under Sheaf Street was hardly used as the Pond Street bus station to Train station was the main pedestrian route, now its Howard Street and the road across is a death trap ,a subway would be perfect there.  Same as under Furnival gate which is also quite unsafe  to cross 

Screenshot 2020-06-05 at 20.56.37.jpg

The filling in of The Hole In The Road
Love the colour of those buses!

I often thought that it should have been used as council offices, thus releasing the Town Hall for conversion to a five star hotel/conference centre. 🙄

On 29/07/2007 at 17:38, Guest belfrybum said:

hello kids i'm new to this,and wanted to add to this that the hole in the road was original,not seen anywhere else,and in my opinion was closed due to the "do gooders" in this world!

"Do Gooders," They a still around unfortunately, just look at what they are doing to Pinstone St. and Moor head