The Gaiety Theatre PH 100 West Bar

Stu

Can I start this one off

We are doing a search on this Music Hall pub.

We believe our great grandfather ran it late 19th century (surname Hodkins or Hodkinson)

Seems it was very lively with a stage & great music

It was on the corner of West Bar and Corporation Street

There are recent photos on Picture Sheffield

In the 1800s this kind of social pub provided the local working men with all their entertainment

My grandmother was a great party turn as she knew all the music hall & folk songs from that era

Any joy

Gaiety Palace/Cromwell's Varieties 100 West Bar

1893 Mrs Elizabeth Cromwell

1911 John Henry Smith

1919 John Henry Smith

1925 Joseph H Britland

Hope you find you relative at an earlier date.

After a re-check on our Great Grandfather's name we now believe it to be Edward Hodgson.

Associated to the Gaiety at the end of the 19th Century

We believe he came down from the North East

Seem to be drawing a blank so far

Any clues?

Guest susanharding

Hi

My Grandfather used to play at Britland's Gaiety Music Hall in Sheffield in the 1920's. His name was William Henry Jubb & I believe he was known as 'the funny man Jubb' and played the piano!

If you have any information or photographs on the venue I would be very interested.

Kind Regards

Sue (formerly Jubb)

My parents and grandfather were at the Old Gaiety in the 1930's.Name of Brown.Any records of them? My Mum told me stories of how she would walk her dog (Irish Wolfhound) through the tables after time was called so that the customers would drink up.The dogs tail was just the right height for knocking glasses off the tables.

Grandfather Newman Brown was licensee of various pubs and clubs.My father Sidney Brown was youngest man granted a licence in 1931 but don't know which pub or club.My mothers' father Herbert Allen was also club steward but not sure where. Like many people,I never took a lot of notice of all the stories told to me over the years. Wish I had now.

Have only just found this site and must say it is great. Will take me ages to get the hang of searching but will get there in the end.

Looking forward to conversing with you all.

Regards,Josie.

Guest Paul Withers

Did the Gaiety Palace start our as a pub before it became a music hall ? Does anyone know ?

Like Josie above, am having great difficulty in searching this site. Some parts seem to accept me, others do not and tell me that my password is wrong !

I am also searching for details of the Royal Parisian Music Hall and the Royal Alhambra - is this connected to the place in Atteclliffe Road ?

Paul Withers.

Did the Gaiety Palace start our as a pub before it became a music hall ? Does anyone know ?

Like Josie above, am having great difficulty in searching this site. Some parts seem to accept me, others do not and tell me that my password is wrong !

I am also searching for details of the Royal Parisian Music Hall and the Royal Alhambra - is this connected to the place in Atteclliffe Road ?

Paul Withers.

The earliest date we have for 100 West Bar is 1881 and written as the Gaiety Inn & Music Hall owners Sissons & Pickard.

By what I have read it seems there were two parts to this place, as it suggests the Inn and the Music Hall.

It also went by the name of Cromwell Varieties in 1893 when a lady by the name of Mrs Elizabeth Cromwell kept it.

The earliest date we have for 100 West Bar is 1881 and written as the Gaiety Inn & Music Hall owners Sissons & Pickard.

By what I have read it seems there were two parts to this place, as it suggests the Inn and the Music Hall.

It also went by the name of Cromwell Varieties in 1893 when a lady by the name of Mrs Elizabeth Cromwell kept it.

Quote from William Clegg, who was Sheffield Mayor 1887-8, and a keen teetotaller:

[in the Gaiety music-hall] - "songs of an indecent and immoral character were sung by - above all people -
women.
"!!

Rough bunch them Sheffield lasses of yesteryear !, but, any worse than Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow and London ?

Probably not.

Quote from William Clegg, who was Sheffield Mayor 1887-8, and a keen teetotaller:

[in the Gaiety music-hall] - "songs of an indecent and immoral character were sung by - above all people -
women.
"!!