What school did you go to ?

Sheffield History

Guest bladepaul_98

St Theresas 1960 - 1961 not sure

St maries Edmund Road 1961-1965 now demolished

St Pauls Granville road 1965 - 1970 now about double in size after merging and becoming All Saints

St Theresas 1960 - 1961 not sure

St maries Edmund Road 1961-1965 now demolished

St Pauls Granville road 1965 - 1970 now about double in size after merging and becoming All Saints

Did it amalgamate with De La salle? (Oh, and welcome to the forum!)

Guest bladepaul_98

yes apparently de la salle closed along with st peters and most of the pupils & staff went there, it is now a sports college and home to one of the biggest sporting facilities in england, a new special school also co-located in 2011, vastly over subscribed with 3 applicants for each place.

Fox Hill Infants, left in '54

Wharncliffe Side infants and Juniors, left in 1960 Both infants and junior schools were demolished to make way for an shiny new one.

Then Bradfield Secondary Modern School until 1964

I went to Frecheville comp, left 1975 as stated above now a housing estate, but was a top school

I went to Frecheville comp, left 1975 as stated above now a housing estate, but was a top school

Welcome to Sheffield History bypassblade58 and thank you for making your first post.

It seems strange that in Sheffield, when the axe fell on schools, they closed excellent, good, average poor and failing schools regardless.

These days with OFSTED reports regularly being carried out in all schools most authorities are keen to get rid of the weaker ones and retain their good schools.

Guest snooz

Firth Park Grammar School 1963 to 1970

If anyone is ionterested I have some pictures just before it was demolished when I briefly returned to England.

Best regards

snooz

Guest beckie19458

Did anyone attend Newhall Road school from 1947 to 1952. Or did anybody live on Alfred Road

Guest shelagh scholfield

philadelphia infants and juniors from1955 to 1961 . The school has since been demolished.

Guest shelagh scholfield

Did anyone attend Philadelphia infants and junior school in the fifties and sixties .

Guest binsted71

Did anyone attend Philadelphia infants and junior school in the fifties and sixties .

I was there from 1948 to 1958. My last four teachers were Miss Rowland - S1, Mr. Cooil - S2, Mr. Popple - S3 and Mr. Sanderson - S4. I then moved up to Chaucer for just one term and was taught by Mr. Newham.

Welcome to Sheffield History bypassblade58 and thank you for making your first post.

It seems strange that in Sheffield, when the axe fell on schools, they closed excellent, good, average poor and failing schools regardless.

These days with OFSTED reports regularly being carried out in all schools most authorities are keen to get rid of the weaker ones and retain their good schools.

Thanks for the welcome, I've read all the posts on this subject & as you say the majority of the schools mentioned, exist no longer, now that is a tragedy.

Thanks for the welcome, I've read all the posts on this subject & as you say the majority of the schools mentioned, exist no longer, now that is a tragedy.

It certainly is a tragedy

That's why we are keen to get members who went to particular schools to start topics on them and post memories, staff lists, student lists, past events, photographs, films, in fact anything associated with the history of the now gone school.

I have tried my best to do this for the schools I have attended, taught at, had friends at or maybe just know a bit about or have the odd photo of and I will continue to do so. Some of the better established school topics are now becoming quite extensive collections of information.

I just wish there were more like minded members from schools I know nothing about that would do the same for their school, or at least make suitable contributions to it, so that we can build up an archive of details of all the old schools in Sheffield.

Guest emilymayxx

i went to bluestone primary school, i left in 1999, ive heard its been knocked down

i went to bluestone primary school, i left in 1999, ive heard its been knocked down

Welcome to Sheffield History emilymayxx and thank you for posting.

My daughters went to Bluestone in the 1980's and it has now been demolished as you have heard.

Most of Norfolk school on the Arbourthorne has also been demolished and both Bluestone and Norfolk Junior school have been combined and replaced with a newly built school on the Norfolk Park estate called Norfolk Community School. It is situated outside Norfolk Park entrance where the Guildford Vic Hallam / Finnegan housing was.

Guest trish4397

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:44 AM

Hiya everyone,

Went to Clarkehouse Preparatory School opposite the Hallamshire Hospital then King Ecgberts and then Richmond College - does anyone remember any of the teachers? Left King Ecgberts in 1974

Angie

Hi Angie

My two sisters and I were at Clarkehouse - I left in 1965 and went to the Girls High School, until 1972.

The teachers' names I remember from Clarkehouse are: Miss Trott, Miss Cantrell, Miss Shepherd, and the I think headteacher was called Mrs Dunford.

We used to have sports days somewhere at Totley.

Guest Janus

Sept: 1949 to June 1953 Went to Junior Art Department, Sheffield College of Arts & Crafts, Arundel St, The blazer-badge was a phoenix because the old school of art was burned out by an incendiary bomb. Does anyone remember it?

In 1951 Irwin Hoyland, Miss Mills, and Miss Morrell took a small group to London on a school-trip to see the Festival of Britain.

went to Brincliffe Grammar School 1958 to 1963. The school closed in 1965 & the building was eventually converted into flats about 10 years ago.

Guest Mollie

I attended Carfield Intermediate School , Argyle Road from 1944 to 1949 when I was head girl. Mr Kay was headmaster.

I am now an old wrinkly but often think of those halcyon years and wonder if there is any one left out there who will remember. Very pleased to see the old school is still standing although now a ''primary'. Thanks to Google earth to be able to see this as I live in New Zealand.

Went to Hucklow rd 1951 - 58, Rowlinson Tech 1958 - 63

Last I heard Rowlinson had closed. Would like more info please.

Went to Hucklow rd 1951 - 58, Rowlinson Tech 1958 - 63

Last I heard Rowlinson had closed. Would like more info please.

It is now replaced with Meadowhead school and its site is part of Norton College campus.

From Clarkehouse Prep I remember Miss Butterworth (infants' class), Mrs. Dunsford, Miss Everard, Miss Trott, was she the principal? Does anyone remember the hornets' nest under the arches in the lower playground?