What school did you go to ?

Sheffield History

I went to Meersbrook Bank J&I (1953 - 1959) and then on passing the 11+ I went to Rowlinson Technical School (1959 - 1964), Dyches Lane at Meadowhead (later it became Norton Campus of Sheffield College). Charile Kay aka Yak, who lived at Stradbrooke, was the headmaster at Rowlinson. I have a good memory of most of the teachers at that time.

Chairman of Sheffield United FC, Kevin McCabe, was a school friend at Rowlinson. Kevin's name is just above mine in the list of those achieving GCE "O" Level passes on page 4 of the school's speech day programme (attached).

I am still in touch with a few old school friends from both schools, although I have travelled the world and have now settled in Swansea, South Wales.

I have taken an interest in the history of Sheffield particularly since my mother's family played such an important part in the formal establishment of Sheffield as a town in 1843, and the development of the steel industry.

My brother, Adrian Morgan (b.March 1956 - d.Feb 2009) went to Meersbrook Bank J&I and then on passing his 11+ went to Abbeydale Boys Grammar School.

And for anyone with a real interest in Rowlinson School there is an excellent web site at www.rowlinson-sheffield.org.uk where a huge range of memorabilia and anecdotes can be seen. I understand that the web site is undergoing a somewhat slow overhaul, but the greater majority of the online material is still intact.

I know someone who went to Rowlinson School (1959 to 1966) and can say what a reliable and grounded fellow he is.

And the K McCabe story is true. There's more though... there's an interesting story about Kevin and his mate Ernest (Ernie) Villa on the Rowlinson web site.

Kevin McCabe

Guest Barbara M

I started off at Hucklow Rd J & I then after I failed my 11 plus off I went to Hinde House Secondary Modern , off Shiregreen Lane untill I left aged 15 in 1958 to become an apprentice hairdresser .

They were good days !!

Barbara

Guest tony.the owl

i went to jordanthorpe sec mod...headmaster was a mr adams...he named his cane after me as id had so much of it!!!..ha ha.....i left in 1968....i hated the place!

Guest Philip McDonald

Handsworth Infant School 1959 - 1961. Headmistress Miss Meredith. Lovely lady!

Now demolished (the school, not Miss Meredith).

Athelstan Juniors 1961 - 1965. Headmaster Mr. Turner. Nice bloke.

The school is still there, I think.

Hinde House Comprehensive 1965 - 1969. Headmaster Mr. Edwards. There's plenty of info on him on Sheffield Forum.

Hinde House has been demolished and rebuilt since my time.

Hi TexxUK I also whent to hinde house the same time as you but I cant recognise you under the beard Im Phil McDonald was in braily house my cousen was Barry Horne and other friends were Stephen Grayson and Robert Coker

It was sad to read of Mr Collinson passing away recently.

He taught at Chaucer School for many years, he was also part of the Collinson's school of dancing.

He used to teach us ballroom dancing in our lunch hour, all voluntary of course.

I could never get to grips with the steps except for the square tango, I loved it especially when we

were dancing to Billy Fury's Jealousy.

Sorry to hear about the death of Mr Collinson, he was a very good teacher. He must have been a good age though.as it is nearly 54 years since Chaucer opened. He also taught us at lunch time for the very first Christmas dance held in 1958. W/E.

I went to Prince Edward first then Hurlfield till 1976.

Prince Edwards is still there! Hurlfield changed it's name, but still got demolished.

My attitudes to life were altered by going to Hurlfield and I now believe that sending kids to school after the age of 12 has caused more problems to this country then what both wars did. But don't get me started on that.... :blink:

Sorry to hear about the death of Mr Collinson, he was a very good teacher. He must have been a good age though.as it is nearly 54 years since Chaucer opened. He also taught us at lunch time for the very first Christmas dance held in 1958. W/E.

There's a question doing the rounds on quiz nights which is , " which was Sheffields first Comprehensive school "

Always they have the answer as Myers Grove but as far as I can recall Chaucer was opened after the Easter

holidays 1958 and Myers Grove opened after the summer 6 weeks holidays 1958.

Any advance on that ?

There's a question doing the rounds on quiz nights which is , " which was Sheffields first Comprehensive school "

Always they have the answer as Myers Grove but as far as I can recall Chaucer was opened after the Easter

Any advance on that ?

Chaucer did open after the Easter holidays in 1958. Though was not officially opened by the Lord Mayor of Sheffield in a very lavish ceremony until just before I left at Easter 1959. We were all given a booklet with photos of the school and its pupils to celebrate the event, sadly mine got lost over the years. W/E.

Did W/E make it in the Retro this weekend?

I noticed a few school pictures and wondered if you were on any of them?

There was a mention of Sandra and Jackie Savoury, remember them?

Also I reconized a very young school teacher called Mr Dowson.

I noticed a few school pictures and wondered if you were on any of them?

There was a mention of Sandra and Jackie Savoury, remember them?

Also I reconized a very young school teacher called Mr Dowson.

I will have a look in the Retro in the morning. I think it was Sandy Savoury, he was in the next year up from me, used to see him on his bike now and again over the years. Mr Dowson was our last form teacher before we moved to Chaucer. I think he was the only Hillfoot teacher to move up there. W/E.

I will have a look in the Retro in the morning. I think it was Sandy Savoury, he was in the next year up from me, used to see him on his bike now and again over the years. Mr Dowson was our last form teacher before we moved to Chaucer. I think he was the only Hillfoot teacher to move up there. W/E.

Saw Sandy a couple of months back.

Any advance on that ?

So would they have been Comps from the beginning, or were they originally Secondary Moderns? The 11 plus was still going in 1958.

No! The 1956 Hillfoot team photo with Mr Dowson bottom right, is from the book "Weerz me mam?" by the late Fred Pass, Fred is in the centre of the back row behind team captain Jack Fowler. Still trying to work out the faces in the class photo. Nice photo of the 3 Ward boys, though sadly one of them was killed at work on the railway. W/E.

So would they have been Comps from the beginning, or were they originally Secondary Moderns? The 11 plus was still going in 1958.

They were comps from the beginning.

Comprehensives go back to the immediate post war period (1946) when having a non selective intake was first tried out, probably as a social experiment even though the 11+ was still ongoing.

Some councils had this comprehensive trial and Sheffield was one of them, starting in 1957-8 with the schools that UKL and WE are talking about.

Mainstream comprehensives, where this type of school was the only choice in a particular authority, came along in 1965, with Sheffield going comprehensive in 1969.

Once all schools were fully comprehensive and had no selective entrance requirements the 11+ effectively became redundant and was phased out. In Sheffield this happened in 1967 when the 11+ was optional.

No! The 1956 Hillfoot team photo with Mr Dowson bottom right, is from the book "Weerz me mam?" by the late Fred Pass, Fred is in the centre of the back row behind team captain Jack Fowler. Still trying to work out the faces in the class photo. Nice photo of the 3 Ward boys, though sadly one of them was killed at work on the railway. W/E.

Mick Carrigan on the left Lennie Askham on the right Ken Ward 3rd from right killed on the railway.

Anyone know the first Sheffield school to take its pupils abroad. I had friends in the 50s that went to France with Burngreave school. My brother went to Chaucer in the early 60s, he always seemed to be off somewhere. W/E.

Some names supplied by Dave White, memory a bit faded.

Back row, 4th row

Michael Carrigan- John Clay- John Bean- Tony Chapman- Dont Know- Alan Fitzclark- Michael Benn- ? Morley- Frank Addison- Leonard Askham

3rd row,

Ken Ward-? Nash- ? Gabbitas- Tony Johnson- ? Pearson- ? Shaefer- Albert Toothill- Barrie Weldon- Sandy Savory- ? Vera- Dont Know

2nd row, either end

left side ? Bower- right side Walt Green

1st row June Wright

Some names supplied by Dave White, memory a bit faded.

Back row, 4th row

Michael Carrigan- John Clay- John Bean- Tony Chapman- Dont Know- Alan Fitzclark- Michael Benn- ? Morley- Frank Addison- Leonard Askham

3rd row,

Ken Ward-? Nash- ? Gabbitas- Tony Johnson- ? Pearson- ? Shaefer- Albert Toothill- Barrie Weldon- Sandy Savory- ? Vera- Dont Know

2nd row, either end

left side ? Bower- right side Walt Green

1st row June Wright

I haven't got the picture any more , wish I had but could the Nash be Barry?