What school did you go to ?

Sheffield History

On 03/07/2017 at 21:54, Lemmy117 said:

Hunters Bar Infant school from 1961-65, I remember my first teacher was Mrs. Pashley, there was also Miss Brown

Hunters Bar Junior school from 1965 to 69. I remember Mrs. Thorald and Mr. Holmes, wish I could remember the others.

Failed the eleven plus and went to Silverdale 1969 to 73. I remember Mrs Turvey (maths), Mrs Jenkinson (?), Mr, Shooter was deputy head, Mr. Biggins was head, Mr. Welsh (?), Mr. Tocker (geography), Mr. Hutchinson (games - ugh!), Mr Atkinson (chemistry), Mrs Brammer (biology), Mr. Lyons (physics), Mrs. Wigmore (art), Mr. Horn (English?), Mr. Firth (French), Mr. Wasnidge (music) and Mr. Peckett (metal work).

Can anyone fill in other names of teachers around this time?

Nigel L

Old post I know. I was at Siverdale 64-68. Mrs Jenkinson rings a bell but can't place her, possibly domestic science. Mr Shooter science. Mr Welsh I think was a maths teacher & sometimes doubled taking games. Mr. Tocker I don't recall. Mr Hutchinson games as you say. He loved wacking boys on the ankles with his hockey stick. I don't recall Mrs Brammer. Mr Lyons I remember but not what he taught. Mrs Wigmore art, she had great hopes for me. Mr Horn indeed English. Mr. Firth French, a bit of a drama queen. Insisted we would be lost in the workplace without the 'O' level. Mr. Fearsome Wasnidge music. Think Mr Peckett was metal work but we could choose between this & woodwork which I did. Geography teacher in my day was George Burrell. He lived close to our house then, end of Edale Road to High Storrs Crescent. Seem to remember he died not long into retirement. Nice chap.

Do you remember a Ken Lee, took sport primarily football. If you search my few posts, there's a picture of him with a team pictured in assembly / games rooms.

I forgot about Mr. Burrell, I was in his geography class for a few months then got moved to Mr. Tocker. He was also careers advisor when I was there. I think Mrs. Jenkinson taught French, but could be wrong, she left to have a baby a few months after I got there. Mr. Wilkinson was woodwork when I was there, we did both metalwork and woodwork on alternate weeks.

Another name has come to mind Mr. Hukin (maths) and Mrs. Brammer  got married while I was there, think she was Miss. Smith before.

Don't remember Ken Lee, but then I wasn't the sporting type.

Nigel L

Now I think it about it, we did metalwork and woodwork on alternate weeks. Not related to this, but a Mr Sanderson has just popped into my head for some reason.

Not a name I remember. Strange how suddenly a name pops in, Mr. Parkin, maths teacher. I remember the technical drawing teacher but can't remember his name. He came from industry and always had a ciggy on the edge of his desk.  We used to take bets at what time the ash would fall off!

Nigel L