What school did you go to ?

Sheffield History

Guest mickward

Broomhill Infants

Nether Green

King Edward VII

Lower school at king Teds now demolished and rebuilt others still exist.

Guest mickward

Went to Broomhill Infants, then Lydgate Lane and then King Teds. I still make a point of peering through the gates of King Teds Upper school on Glossop road every time I'm in the area. KES was a great school and the teachers that I had were pretty cool. O.K so they could be hard with any wrong-doers, but we all know now that it was a good method. As crazy as it might seem now, I got six of the best for throwing a balaclava in the changing rooms!

I left in 1974 and my favourite teachers were Mr Beatson, Mr North, Mr Finch and the preposterous Mr Thompson (slug). But I hated the deputy head, Mr Ruding with a passion, he was as warm-hearted as a tadpole!

Does anyone remember the 'flour incident', when some noodle set a booby-trap to drop flour over the masters at a prize-giving? The sight of one particular master in his very official-looking black gown and mortar board, covered in what seemed to be a whole bag of self-raising remains with me to this day. lol

Guest mihiphee

I went to Whitley Woods Open Air School

I left in 1962,

would like to hear frm other that went there

Hi,

I went to Whitely woods open air school too. I had chronic asthma as a young child and I was sent there to give me more fresh air than I was getting so close to the city centre. Although it took several years after I left Whitely Woods school, my asthma cleared up 100 percent, so a huge thanks from me to whoever set the wheels in motion. :)

Mick Ward

Guest Unitedite

What year did you leave ?

What changes have there been to your school since you left ?

Started out at Woodhouse West End [1963-1968]. Not the "new" one at the top of Normanton Springs, but the original, 19th Century Building roughly opposite the West End Club.

Looking back now though, it seemed to me that most of my early education took place in the twin roomed, single storey prefab built on the main front yard and not in the main building.

All now demolished and occupied by a 1990's private residential development, although the stone built retaining wall that adjoins the road still exists. :angry:

Moved to City Grammer [stradbroke Road], which became Sheffield City School and this still exists. Most of the original buildings are still there although now mostly obscured by later additions. :)

Not many Thornbridge Old Boys on the list - Only Smiffster!! I was there from '61 to '66. Who could ever forget Mr Snook, our fearsome headmaster who wrote the latin textbook.

Hey Vox, We have had this conversation before Here

I have re-read that entire post, it is amazing, just blows me away. All the memories, all the photos, the piano saga - a classic. Your teacher list did jog the memory, Doc Haslam was a legend, there was a rumour that he could make any pupil whimper just by his mere presence, his scowl and his booming voice - and I saw it happen!

I don't suppose you have a photograph of the stunningly beautiful Miss Hollingsworth do you?

Here's a photo of the staff in 1960-61 ish

Unfortunately the stunningly beautiful Miss Hollingsworth isn't on it. I think she came when I was in the 3rd year. A year after this photo. Somebody somewhere will have one.

I can name some of them but not all.

Back L-R

1/Mr **? - 2/Mr Lancaster - 3/Mr Evans - 4/Doc Haslam - 5/Mr Smith - 6/Mr ***? - 7/Mr Riley ? - 8/Mr Pearson - 9/Mr Raynor - 10/Mr **?

Front

1/**? - 2/Miss Laine - 3/Miss **? - 4/Miss Woodward - 5/Mr. McMahon (deputy head) 6/Mr Snook (headmaster) - 7/Ms Hannington (headmistress) - 8/Miss Cox - 9/Miss Crookes - 10/Miss **? - 11/Mr Almond

He didn't take any public examinations and so would have left the school around 1944 aged 14 or 15 (Compulsory school leaving age was raised to 15 in the 1944 Education Act, so he could have been one of the last to officially leave at 14).

I was born at the beginning of 1947 and so a few years ago I bought one of the Pathe News videos for that year. One of the clips features a Labour Cabinet Minister explaining to a class of 14 year olds that they have brought in legislation that will require them to stay for an extra year and leave at 15 years old.

Perhaps the 1944 act didn't come into practice until 1947.

HD

Just Googled it and the 1944 act called for the age to be raised "as soon as practicable". It was raised in 1947.

HD

Here's a photo of the staff in 1960-61 ish

Unfortunately the stunningly beautiful Miss Hollingsworth isn't on it. I think she came when I was in the 3rd year. A year after this photo. Somebody somewhere will have one.

I can name some of them but not all.

Back L-R

1/Mr **? - 2/Mr Lancaster - 3/Mr Evans - 4/Doc Haslam - 5/Mr Smith - 6/Mr ***? - 7/Mr Riley ? - 8/Mr Pearson - 9/Mr Raynor - 10/Mr **?

Front

1/**? - 2/Miss Laine - 3/Miss **? - 4/Miss Woodward - 5/Mr. McMahon (deputy head) 6/Mr Snook (headmaster) - 7/Ms Hannington (headmistress) - 8/Miss Cox - 9/Miss Crookes - 10/Miss **? - 11/Mr Almond

Fabulous photo Vox - the tall teacher in the back row is Mr Gould, the gentle giant, he once scruffed me by the tie and lifted me off my feet in front of the whole class. Back row far right I think is Mr Watts the science teacher. Our form Teacher in '62 was Miss Diaper and in '64 Miss Whelpton but I can't place them in the photo.

Mr Raynor taught us art for the five years I was at Thornbridge, Miss Laine taught us English for five years, Mr Evans, PE for five years, Miss Cox, Geography for four years. Mr Snook was headmaster and Mr McMahon deputy head for the five years I was there. With consistency like that its no wonder we received a good, solid education.

Mr Clarke taught us latin, there was also a teacher called Miss Reader. I'll never forget Miss Reader. Me and my brother were down at Victoria Station one Saturday morning and there was Miss Reader. I don't know what came over us, it was SO out of character but we started shouting "Reader, Reader, silly old b****** " We thought it was great fun at the time, until Monday morning came and we were summoned to Mr Snooks office. He gave us something I've never forgotten to this day and we fully deserved what we got. It was all part of the best education I could have wished for.

Guest kenfozzy

Carfield Secondary Modern.

What year did you leave ?

What changes have there been to your school since you left ?

Building wise, very little but seems now to educate up to eleven years of age.

First school All Saints Pitsmoor 1945 - 51

After failing the dreaded 11+ went to Burngreave Boys secondary modern school, 1951 - 55 Lots of ex students have rubbished the school but I think it was very progressive and ideal for the times. Although others thought I should have passed the 11+ including my mother I have to say I am happy I didn't as the slower pace suited me and the teaching I received certainly help me in my future employment.

Woodhouse West J + I - not the new one on Coisley Hill, but the old one, that stood further back up on Sheffield Road, that is now sadly demolished and replaced by a small housing estate.

The only bit of the old school that still seems to exist is the stone built boundary wall fronting onto Sheffield Road. I never made it into the new school on Coisley Hill and I left in 1968-9.

After that, Sheffield City School and the original bits that I knew still seem to be used, although the site itself looks to have been massively extended since my time.

Meynell Road School, and I left in 1963'ish. Been a long time and half of it is now gone. Was there all my school life

Only half of it gone :o.

All of the secondary school I went to is gone, that being Ashleigh. I still find it somewhat strange, when passing by (not often, these days) to see housing estates where I was educated.

At least the Primary & Middle Schools I went to, Gleadless, are still in existence, the oldest part now being well over 100 years old. They don't build them like that any more.

Only half of it gone :o.

All of the secondary school I went to is gone, that being Ashleigh. I still find it somewhat strange, when passing by (not often, these days) to see housing estates where I was educated.

At least the Primary & Middle Schools I went to, Gleadless, are still in existence, the oldest part now being well over 100 years old. They don't build them like that any more.

Likewise madannie,

6th form at Ashleigh, now gone.

Secondary school at Norfolk, Arbourthorne, also now gone

Junior school at Norfolk, now a "special referral unit"

Infant school ay Norfolk, now gone

Nursery at Norfolk, now gone

I am convinced that the City Council are trying to remove any evidence that I have ever had any education at all :angry:

Heeley Bank Infants and Juniors. We lived in Heeley Bank Road. Great for sledging in the winter!!! Not so many cars in the early 50's

Hunters Bar

Greystones

Rowlinson

Then we moved to Wales Bar (near Kiveton Park) and I went to Dinnington Tech

Hi, Dunsbyowl, my husband was at De La Salle College 1952-1957 - would he have known your dad? His memories of the place are mostly negative ones and yet he still seems sorry that it has been demolished. The building of his primary school, St Joseph's, Walkley, still exists but isn't a school anymore. Reading this thread, I'm struck by how many Sheffield schools have been demolished, amalgamated or just closed down. It's a wierd feeling to have part of one's past wiped out like that.

i was at St. Georges school Beet Street, in the 1940s early 50s Mr Cotton was the headmaster, anyone here at the same time as me

Guest paulclarkedrums

Bole Hill Infants and Juniors then Lydgate Lane juniors then Northview High (Johannesburg), then King Edward VII 'Lower School' on Darwin Lane then the 'Upper School' on Glossop Road which I left in 1975.