What school did you go to ?

Sheffield History

Thats true my great Grandparents house is still standing on City Road its buildings that were built since 1950s that seem doomed. What about the town Hall and register office the old ones still stand while new ones are knocked down. Tolal grumpy mode THEY DONT MAKE THINGS LIKE THEY USED TO. lol

Know that feeling, having been a pupil at Ashleigh. And the building in which I did my first degree (Salford Universty) has also been demolished (not by any of my disastrous chemistry experiments, I must add) lol

Sometimes, rather than feeling just old, I go into grumpy old mode and rant about why all these buildings, which were built post war, were so poor that they were demolished so soon afterwards. They just don't make things to last like they used to!

Very interesting madannie

Ashleigh, just like me (1972 - 74)

A degree in Chemistry, just like me (Hull 1974 - 77)

So did you have Doctor Richardson or R.G. Pemberton at Ashleigh for A level chemistry?

Or how about Mr. Harrington or Mr. Groarke for A level Physics?

Very interesting madannie

Ashleigh, just like me (1972 - 74)

A degree in Chemistry, just like me (Hull 1974 - 77)

So did you have Doctor Richardson or R.G. Pemberton at Ashleigh for A level chemistry?

Or how about Mr. Harrington or Mr. Groarke for A level Physics?

Doc Dick and Mr Groarke for O-level and A-level, although quite a bit of the A-level physics was taught by Doc Dick & supply teachers as Mr Groarke was off with (I think) serious back problems). For the organic chemistry part of the A-level course a teacher from Hurlfield came over - Dr Sant, I think, although it seems a long time ago and he didn't make anywhere near as much of an impression as Dr Richardson. It was Doc Dick who got me really interested in chemistry.

Doc Dick and Mr Groarke for O-level and A-level, although quite a bit of the A-level physics was taught by Doc Dick & supply teachers as Mr Groarke was off with (I think) serious back problems). For the organic chemistry part of the A-level course a teacher from Hurlfield came over - Dr Sant, I think, although it seems a long time ago and he didn't make anywhere near as much of an impression as Dr Richardson. It was Doc Dick who got me really interested in chemistry.

I know Doc Sant from my teaching practice days at Hurlfield.

He has since moved on to dealing with teacher training at (I think) Sheffield Hallam. He occasionally comes in to our school when we take student teachers that he is in charge of.

I also with Mr. Groarkes daugter in law, also a teacher. Sadly Mr. Groarke died earlier this year.

Can't say I have heard of this Doc Dick, - can't have been there in my time.

I know Doc Sant from my teaching practice days at Hurlfield.

He has since moved on to dealing with teacher training at (I think) Sheffield Hallam. He occasionally comes in to our school when we take student teachers that he is in charge of.

I also with Mr. Groarkes daugter in law, also a teacher. Sadly Mr. Groarke died earlier this year.

Can't say I have heard of this Doc Dick, - can't have been there in my time.

Doc Dick was what the little urchins called Dr Richardson when he wasn't in earshot - apparently he didn't like it much! It sticks in my mind because of the impression he made on me with regards to chemistry, and in a recent job my boss was actually Dr Dick.

Doc Dick was what the little urchins called Dr Richardson when he wasn't in earshot - apparently he didn't like it much! It sticks in my mind because of the impression he made on me with regards to chemistry, and in a recent job my boss was actually Dr Dick.

OK so Doc Dick was Doc Richardson, - know him well, - taught me.

A little photographic tribute to Mr. Groarke

Taken in an A level physics practical.

Didn't use a Minox spy camera this time, used a Contax III 35mm camera but he still didn't notice I had taken these shots lol

Hillfoot School. Anyone recognize a face ? W/E.

The lady third from the right looks familiar but I can't put a name to her.

What school did you go to ?

What year did you leave ?

What changes have there been to your school since you left ?

Hi I went to Malin Bridge Junior school then Myers Grove Comp left in 1974

My 4 cousins went to Myers Grove from 1961 to 1976 as there was a 10 year age gap between the oldest and youngest.

They were known as "the 4 J's" as they all had names beginning with J, - John, Jean, Janice and Jill.

My form teacher at Hinde House in 1958/59 & 59/60 was Geoff Hook - we all thought he was great. I believe he went to Myers Grove as Head . Was he well liked there ?

I am told he died not long after.

John

Hi

Went to Phillimore Rd (primary), now Phillimore Park I think, left 1973 and Park House, Bawtry Rd, Tinsley. Left in 1978

Hi Fellow SHs

Did any members or their Fathers go to Firth Park Grammar School and were in the School Choir check this

1931 Pathe News Footage.

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=8457

Hi Fellow SHs

Did any members or their Fathers go to Firth Park Grammar School and were in the School Choir check this

1931 Pathe News Footage.

Thanks for that syrup, an interesting piece of history of Firth Park School.

Snow plays a prominent part in this film and as I understand it, 1931 had a particularly bad winter.

I used to have a friend at work, retired now, who maintained that there was a "16 year rule" or a "16 year cycle" for bad winters.

He always used to quote 1931, 1947, 1963 and 1979 as examples of this 16 year cycle, - all of them well recorded and documented as bad, long, cold winters.

However, his "rule" does seem to have broken down a bit in more recent times, 1995 wasn't that bad was it?

But be warned, next year, 2011, would be the next one on his cycle. :unsure:

Hi Fellow SHs

1931 Pathe News Footage.

Fabulous! What were the boys on the back row standing on? They must have been 20 feet off the ground.

Fabulous! What were the boys on the back row standing on? They must have been 20 feet off the ground.

I suspect that the choir are standing on "racked staging" which is stepped.

It is the sort of staging that the old school photographers used when they were doing form or even whole school photos so that no one ended up hidden behind someone else.

The school I work at has around 2000 students and we had a whole school photo (or rather 2 half school photos) taken for our centenary a few years ago now. It was taken on similar staging and yes it was very high up on the back row, with little actual support behind you. :o

Guest Susan Reid nee Hague

What school did you go to ? Waltheof secondary modern

What year did you leave ? 1963

What changes have there been to your school since you left ?I have heard it is now an acadamy

What school did you go to ? Waltheof secondary modern

What year did you leave ? 1963

What changes have there been to your school since you left ?I have heard it is now an acadamy

Its burnt down a least once since then

What school did you go to ?St Georges C of E Beet Street

What year did you leave ? 1960

What changes have there been to your school since you left ? The School was pulled down in the 60s

I spent almost 10yrs at this School, and 6 months at Myers Grove,

Welcome to the site Hazel.

I guess you must have lived in that area so I may know you although I didn't

go to St Georges myself.

Some of my friends in the area went there, one I remember was Billy Smith.

How interesting, St Georges School on Beet Street.

My dad, born 1929, went to this school. He never claimed to be well educated and as his secondary school years would have coincided with the second world war he always claimed "Hitler ruined my education" as not only was heevacuated for a while he also had lessons in the front room of various peoples houses around the town.

I never realised, or thought, that the school was on Beet Street. My grandparents lived for a time on Leavygreave Road and later on Daisy Walk, so dad was right in the middle of its catchment area.

He didn't take any public examinations and so would have left the school around 1944 aged 14 or 15 (Compulsory school leaving age was raised to 15 in the 1944 Education Act, so he could have been one of the last to officially leave at 14).

Grandad had been a professional footballer, having played for Rotherham United in the 1920's so dad had always played football as well and he played football both for St. George's school and for the St. George's Youth club after he left until he was called up for National Service in 1947 when he was 18.

I have a photograph of him, and the St. Georges team taken in 1946-7

Dad was the goalkeeper, - the little guy at the back.

Welcome to the site Hazel.

I guess you must have lived in that area so I may know you although I didn't

go to St Georges myself.

Some of my friends in the area went there, one I remember was Billy Smith.

Hi ukelele lady , Only came across the site by accident, I do not know Billy, I lived in Wilkinson st with my 5 bros and 6 sister,nice to hear from you,

I went to Carfield infants and juniors, then Newfield, escaping from the latter (officially) in 1975.

Left in 1975 :unsure:

So you are not such an old bloke then are you oldbloke lol