Sheffield History

Guest LA Blade

OK here is a few:

St. Joesephs - Walkley

St. Catherines - Pitsmoor

Sacred Heart - Hillsboro'

St. Peters - graduated 1969/70

Anyone out there?

Hello. I went to Standhouse School on the Manor, which I am surprised is still standing, in the early 60's - can't recall much about it though! Anyone got any info or pics?

I then went to Norfolk Junior School and then moved into the senior school, leaving in 1974, so am really interested in your site, particularly the photo's - well done everyone - I am loving it.

Another Norfolk member to add to your numbers!

I went to Standhouse School on the Manor, which I am surprised is still standing lolhe he

Nice pun there Suzy, obviously you have got the Norfolk School sesnse of humour which me and Stuart0742 share.

I then went to Norfolk Junior School and then moved into the senior school, leaving in 1974, so am really interested in your site, particularly the photo's - well done everyone - I am loving it.

I always like to welcome new ex-students of Norfolk to the site.

I am glad that you are enjoying the pictures and bits in the Norfolk thread as I am responsible for posting most of it.

If you left in 1974 you are only a couple of years behind me and Stuart and must have been there at the same time as us so the pictures of teachers I have posted will probably be very familiar to you as well as my tales of some of the things they did, their style and mannerisms etc.

Please feel free to post any additional material or items about the school in the Norfolk thread as it is the the school with most known Sheffield History members and therefore gets quite a few readings and posts.

Went to St Maries on the corner of Edmund Rd ( I think thats where it was), Its been demolished these many years now though. I wonder if any one else remembers it. The headmistress was a nun, Sister Mary Dennis, and there were several other nuns who taught there as well. I wonder if anyone has any pictures (crosses fingers). Well I can always hope!! :):)

hi Carlie i,m a new member ,so i,ve only just come across your post .I went to St Maries until 1967 (ish) ( then on to norfolk school ) and i remember sister mary MENACE very well!

there was also another nun there that taught in the room directly opposit the main entrance on Edmund rd ,who,s name i cant remember, do you remember the spiral stone stair case going down to the playground,and up to the bell tower. once went up there to see if there was a ghost because (of course) everyone knew there was one up there!!! got caught by Sister Mary Dennis......one piece of advice for anyone reading this post ....... never annoy a nun. lollol

Did you ever go on the yearly trip to Oakbrook, when the buses used to be parked outside the school?

and do you remember the MASSIVE wooden/ glass/ brass screens that used to separate the classrooms that were folded sideways to make the bottom floor into the hall for assembly (and of course for singing)

Guest carlie167

hi Carlie i,m a new member ,so i,ve only just come across your post .I went to St Maries until 1967 (ish) ( then on to norfolk school ) and i remember sister mary MENACE very well!

there was also another nun there that taught in the room directly opposit the main entrance on Edmund rd ,who,s name i cant remember, do you remember the spiral stone stair case going down to the playground,and up to the bell tower. once went up there to see if there was a ghost because (of course) everyone knew there was one up there!!! got caught by Sister Mary Dennis......one piece of advice for anyone reading this post ....... never annoy a nun. lollol

Did you ever go on the yearly trip to Oakbrook, when the buses used to be parked outside the school?

and do you remember the MASSIVE wooden/ glass/ brass screens that used to separate the classrooms that were folded sideways to make the bottom floor into the hall for assembly (and of course for singing)

Hi Jimbob, and welcome. It's great to read your memories of St Maries, I seem to remember a nun called Sister Veronica? Mind it was a while ago.

I was never brave enough to go ghost hunting, and anyway, Sister MD was scary enough for me! :o

I also remember the wooden screens and the din they made when pulled across, only slightly worse than the singing. he he

That yearly trip to Oakbrook, I went on it but never knew what it was all about, apart from a great picnic and chance to run wild for a few hours!

If I can pull any more memories from the muddle I call my brain, then I will post them, if you look back on the thread, Syrup very kindly posted a link to Picture Sheffield and the school.

Hi Jimbob, and welcome. It's great to read your memories of St Maries, I seem to remember a nun called Sister Veronica? Mind it was a while ago.

I was never brave enough to go ghost hunting, and anyway, Sister MD was scary enough for me! :o

I also remember the wooden screens and the din they made when pulled across, only slightly worse than the singing. he he

That yearly trip to Oakbrook, I went on it but never knew what it was all about, apart from a great picnic and chance to run wild for a few hours!

If I can pull any more memories from the muddle I call my brain, then I will post them, if you look back on the thread, Syrup very kindly posted a link to Picture Sheffield and the school.

Oh dear can't see carlies post, not on my screen.

Can you see it now UKL?

Sorry but we are trying to find the cause of you're probem.

Can you see it now UKL?

Sorry but we are trying to find the cause of you're probem.

Yes thank you, it seems to be more on the school thread where it happens or

doesn't happen.

No its Ukelele Lady who needs some new glasses lol I have a contact at specsavers :)

So do you get a discount ;-)

Or is it just another excuse to make a SPECTACLE of yourself lol

Guest big_glyn1

I attended Bluestone school in the late 60's. When I left Bluestone I attended Ashleigh school from 1975 until I left school on the 26th of May 1979.

Ashleigh school is now a new housing estate, and i've recently been informed that Bluestone as also been flattened.

Guest andydeda

Hi.....I went to Hartley Brook Juniors.....Then Firth Park left in 1982....I remember having to travel between lessons down to old Brushes building...

I attended Bluestone school in the late 60's. When I left Bluestone I attended Ashleigh school from 1975 until I left school on the 26th of May 1979.

Ashleigh school is now a new housing estate, and i've recently been informed that Bluestone as also been flattened.

Hi big glyn1 and welcome to Sheffield History.

Both my daughters initially went to Bluestone school in the early 1980's and I went to Ashleigh, from Norfolk, for sixth form in 1972 - 74.

I am sure I have already posted some stuff about both schools somewhere on the site if you can find it.

Bluestone is likely to be in one of the 2 Norfolk Park estate threads (one is 1970's other is 80's and 90's)

Ashleigh stuff I have posted in "Those Gleadless Pictures" thread.

Why not take a look ;-)

Hi big glyn - two of my cousins went to Bluestone around about the same time I believe - you may have known them : Philip and Marie Wright?

PS Enjoy Sheffield History - I myself am relatively new to it, but it will bring back lots of memories you thought you had forgotten!!!! lol

Hi,

Iwent to Woodthorpe infants 1950 -1953 Stradbroke Juniors 1953 -1956

Brook Secondary 1956-1960

Dont know about Woodthorpe but Stradbroke's still there it was a lovely brand new school when I went though, with inside toilets (they were outside at Woodthorpe) awfull in winter. Brooks been demolished It's now a housing estate.

Hi,

Dont know about Woodthorpe but Stradbroke's still there it was a lovely brand new school when I went though, with inside toilets (they were outside at Woodthorpe) awfull in winter. Brooks been demolished It's now a housing estate.

2 of these schools had facilities which were used by other local schools

From Norfolk Juniors we went up by bus to Woodthorpe Juniors every Wednesday afternoon to use their swimming pool (Remember Mrs. Lyons the swimming teacher?)

Brook school seemed to have a very good music department and had access to invited guests, performers and musical events. It hosted several of these events to invited stidents from other schools and I went to these on more than one occasion.

I think nearly everybody knew mr Lyons he was there for that long never was much good at swimming though till well after I had left school. Brook school did have a good music department though and I did enjoy music just wish that I had tried harder at school like they always told me. Still I always enjoyed it no regrets............ Well not many.

Hi,

When I go on one of my "dangerous missions", - walking around the Manor estate with a camera taking pictures for Sheffield History I will try and wander across onto the Woodthorpe and see if the old Junior school is still there.

Interestingly in the Norfolk school thread we are currently trying to get pictures of the old Junior school

Norfolk Juniors

It has just occured to me that Woodthorpe Junior school was built around the same time, in the same style, from the same "red brick" (actually more orange in colour) and in a similar council estate.

As the 2 schools are almost identical it could well be worth my while to go and take a look.

Guest transit

When I go on one of my "dangerous missions", - walking around the Manor estate with a camera taking pictures for Sheffield History I will try and wander across onto the Woodthorpe and see if the old Junior school is still there.

Interestingly in the Norfolk school thread we are currently trying to get pictures of the old Junior school

Norfolk Juniors

It has just occured to me that Woodthorpe Junior school was built around the same time, in the same style, from the same "red brick" (actually more orange in colour) and in a similar council estate.

As the 2 schools are almost identical it could well be worth my while to go and take a look.

... think you will find the "old" Woodthorpe school AND swimming baths went about 10 years ago ! New school built on same site !

Guest transit

2 of these schools had facilities which were used by other local schools

From Norfolk Juniors we went up by bus to Woodthorpe Juniors every Wednesday afternoon to use their swimming pool (Remember Mrs. Lyons the swimming teacher?)

Brook school seemed to have a very good music department and had access to invited guests, performers and musical events. It hosted several of these events to invited stidents from other schools and I went to these on more than one occasion.

... am sure one of the (male) music teachers at Brook went on to become one of the 3 "Thompson Twins , who had several top ten hits during the 80's!!!!! :o

... think you will find the "old" Woodthorpe school AND swimming baths went about 10 years ago ! New school built on same site !

Thanks transit, saved me a journey ;-)

I had thought that this may have been the case. If it went about 10 years ago this would be around the same time that most of Norfolk school went under the developers hammer as well :( , - but in our case NOT the Junior school lol

Sure makes you feel old when 2 out of the 3 schools you went to have been demolished . Even my work places . Co-op Exchange street. T.C.Harrisons. Globe and Simpsons. have all gone. :(

Sure makes you feel old when 2 out of the 3 schools you went to have been demolished . Even my work places . Co-op Exchange street. T.C.Harrisons. Globe and Simpsons. have all gone. :(

Know that feeling, having been a pupil at Ashleigh. And the building in which I did my first degree (Salford Universty) has also been demolished (not by any of my disastrous chemistry experiments, I must add) lol

Sometimes, rather than feeling just old, I go into grumpy old mode and rant about why all these buildings, which were built post war, were so poor that they were demolished so soon afterwards. They just don't make things to last like they used to!